Top Ten Worst Sox of the Decade

DABearSoX

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
i always felt sick to my stomache when he came into a game lol...didnt jose paniagua only play one game with the sox..facing the twins and he stuck his middle finger at the ump, or am i wrong? cant remember

I remember watching that game. I already despised Jerry Manuel by this point and to watch Paniagua go out there and give up hit and walks with a big lead, I don't know, rarely do you literally see the momentum shift like I did that night. Man I was pissed. Here's the game log:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CH...200309090.shtml

1/3 IP

3 H

1 BB

4 ER

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
Its so hard to pick the worst, but I have several more than 10 who deserve a mention:

McKay Christensen

Andy Gonzalez

Ken Hill

Jack Egbert

Wes Whisler

Arnie Munoz

Armando Rios

Todd Ritchie

Julio Ramirez

Jeff Bajenaro

Josh Stewart

Dewon Day

Mike Myers

Jose Paniagua

Brent Lillibridge

Some pretty bad players right there. I would have put Toby Hall on the list, but I like guys who make shaving cream pies.

man remember jeff bajenaru vs. bobby jenks discussions back in 2005....some people were irate that bajenaru wasn't getting a shot over jenks....whats funny is they had a somewhat legit arguement .....good thing the baseball people with the sox were brighter than those here

10. Royce Clayton

9. Antonio Osuna

8. Rocky Biddle

7. David Riske

6. Dewon Day

5. Boone Logan

4.Mike Jackson

3. Jose Paniagua

2. Billy Koch

1. Joe Borchard

I wanted to put Tony Pena's batting practice on here, but thought I would give him another year. he may be on the 2010-2019 list though.

best name in the past 10 years: Jeff Bajenaru

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Right behind our old buddy Erstad.

Erstad had one great and a few other solid offensive years and was always good with the glove before his grand White Sox showing. Ben Davis bunted to break up Schillings perfect game, thats it.

QUOTE (BoKnows @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:09 AM)
10. Royce Clayton

9. Antonio Osuna

8. Rocky Biddle

7. David Riske

6. Dewon Day

5. Boone Logan

4.Mike Jackson

3. Jose Paniagua

2. Billy Koch

1. Joe Borchard

I wanted to put Tony Pena's batting practice on here, but thought I would give him another year. he may be on the 2010-2019 list though.

best name in the past 10 years: Jeff Bajenaru

I always liked Osuna. I remember him getting Sosa swinging in a critical situation in a crosstown game.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)
I always liked Osuna. I remember him getting Sosa swinging in a critical situation in a crosstown game.

He had a great 2002 with us. I don't understand the hate either. I can understand some guys who people just never liked even if they were productive (or semi) offensively (Like Valentin, Jimenez, etc.. etc..) but this guy besides the little stint before 02, was very good for us for the one full year he was here, and he was traded. (didn't leave as a UFA, asking for loads of $$$$) I was baffled when I saw Damaso Marte's name mentioned.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
I think that even having one moment of greatness, like "the catch", is enough to save you from a an easy list of 10 who never even sniffed mediocre.

That wasn't a moment of greatness, it was a moment of everlasting, awe inspiring, ethereal beauty. for one second he was a god, and for that I'll always have a spot in my lineup for him. he can do no wrong.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
man remember jeff bajenaru vs. bobby jenks discussions back in 2005....some people were irate that bajenaru wasn't getting a shot over jenks....whats funny is they had a somewhat legit arguement .....good thing the baseball people with the sox were brighter than those here

He had nice minor league numbers although he was a bit old for AAA and he posted on Soxtalk or did Q &As or something, so I could understand the sentiment, but he wasn't good. The Sox got Cintron for him. He pitched 1 inning for Arizona and gave up 3 homers.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
I remember watching that game. I already despised Jerry Manuel by this point and to watch Paniagua go out there and give up hit and walks with a big lead, I don't know, rarely do you literally see the momentum shift like I did that night. Man I was pissed. Here's the game log:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CH...200309090.shtml

1/3 IP

3 H

1 BB

4 ER

And one finger...

That wasn't a moment of greatness, it was a moment of everlasting, awe inspiring, ethereal beauty. for one second he was a god, and for that I'll always have a spot in my lineup for him. he can do no wrong.

I agree completely. More power to those who think Wise was one of our top 10 worst players of the decade, but he's actually one of my favorite players of the decade because of that amazing catch. Call me a dumbf***, but I really feel that way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 07:32 AM)
He had nice minor league numbers although he was a bit old for AAA and he posted on Soxtalk or did Q &As or something, so I could understand the sentiment, but he wasn't good. The Sox got Cintron for him. He pitched 1 inning for Arizona and gave up 3 homers.

the thing about Baj was he was the nicest f***ing guy in the world. hard not to pull for him.

This is a great concept. How about a couple of rules?

Minimum 200 AB

Minimum 100 IP or 50 games pitched?

That rules out guys like Egbert who were awful but didnt get much of a chance. Jose Paniagua would get eliminated, but he wasn't as bad as he is infamous.

• 2 weeks later...