NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
CNBC is reporting that contrary to earlier reports, LeBron James is not expected to make his announcement within the first 15 minutes of Thursday's 'The Decision' show.

OF COURSE!!!

what they really meant to say is that we'll find out in the final 10 minutes of the show not the first 10 min of it

i know this is kind of a crazy idea but if we dont land lebron would anyone dare rework the wizards' trade and take on gilbert arenas contract? i know they are dying to dump it and play him at SG?

i dont know how big it is/how many years are left just trying to think out of the box on this one

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
there is a new breed of combo forwards nowadays, and bosh is one of them, he can play the big man, but he is really a small forward.

you listing all those stats is nice, but he is putting up those big man stats i.e. good rebounding and close shots %, only because he plays the power forward. There is no denying that he also have the attributes of a small forward (ie midrange game, range out to 3, good slasher, no strength, not a good post defender), and his "little man skills" are better than his big man skills, which really makes him a combo forward playing the 4. Hell, if you throw luol deng at the 4, he could get your 18 and 9 easily, while shooting lot of close shots. He is a versatile player, i'll give you that, but he really fits the bill of a small forward more than a big man, just because he is playing PF and is putting up numbers like a big man, doesn't mean he is a traditional big man.

Last post on this...

Bosh is WAY better at the power forward spot than Deng. Vinny played Deng at the 4 a fair amount, and it didn't go so well. Bosh is not a great defender, but you can do a lot worse than 10 boards and a block from your PF spot, and it's not just because he plays at the 4.

I don't really care if he's a "traditional power forward" since those barely exist anymore. He's plenty effective in that role.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
one thing i hope is that this s*** doesn't catch on....in 3 years i dont want "stars" like danny granger holding espn specials to announce where they are going

Stern will never allow this s*** to happen again.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
Can we get a chatroom going for this?

No, that'll only make LeBron's ego happy.

But really, if you want, there's a chat open all the time on this site.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
Last post on this...

Bosh is WAY better at the power forward spot than Deng. Vinny played Deng at the 4 a fair amount, and it didn't go so well. Bosh is not a great defender, but you can do a lot worse than 10 boards and a block from your PF spot, and it's not just because he plays at the 4.

I don't really care if he's a "traditional power forward" since those barely exist anymore. He's plenty effective in that role.

The raptors felt the same way you did, and end up finishing last in the league in defense. If you have a big who can't defend, you are forced have another good defensive big man, which the raptors didn't. If they had a better than defensive PF, and put bosh at SF instead of turk, they may fare a lot better on defense, while virtually still getting the same production from bosh.

I agree Bosh is a better PF than Deng. He is more talented thus makes more money.

And lastly, I am gladly you felt the same way I did that Bosh is not a traditional big man and is more of a traditional small forward than anything. :)

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
This is what Sternball is all about.

Why exactly? This is the most coverage the NBA's free agency period has ever had.

Edit: oops, meant to quote steve there, sorry

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
Stern will never allow this s*** to happen again.

Meh. He has to love the attention that the NBA is getting right now from all this. But this will never happen again because I highly doubt you ever have a class of free agents near of this caliber that includes the best player in the league ever again. It is rare enough for the best player in the NBA to really entertain offers from other teams but then to be on the market as the same time as another top 4 player, a top 10-15 player, Amare, Boozer, Johnson, etc.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
There are going to be a handful of pissed owners and Stern will not let them get toyed like this again.

Personally I think Wade did most of the f***ing with owners. He basically toured around scouting team's pitches while in the background recruiting everyone else to come to the Heat.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
How much longer until he announces? Was it 6 eastern or 9 Eastern? I've been in a long meeting and working on a report the last 2 hours.

You didn't hear??? He chose the Atlanta Hawks!

6 Pacific

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
How much longer until he announces? Was it 6 eastern or 9 Eastern? I've been in a long meeting and working on a report the last 2 hours.

9 eastern. He's not gonna announce it in the first 15 minutes.