June Catch All White Sox Thread

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
Kenny next year needs to do a better job Ozzie-proofing the lineup. Giving him an Erstad-type play like Kotsay has been terrible. Kotsay is fine off the bench, and to play once in a while. Ozzie in his usual fashion overuses a role player making him a starter for all intensive purposes. The writing was on the wall with this with the comments Ozzie made when they resigned him. Timo/Erstad/DWise, all you need to do is to be a certain slappy grindy not so good left handed hitter and you make it into the lineup way too many times.

I'm not sure how you can Ozzie proof a lineup other than not having any grindy veterans on your bench, and almost every team has one of those.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
Exactly, I'm fine with sitting one starting player every game. But when you start having lineups that resemble split-squad games, you're just throwing away games. And spare me the "it worked on Saturday with Peavy". Sure, if Gavin goes out and throws a shut out, he could have 9 Gordon Beckhams in the lineup and still have a great chance to win.

I really don't care what our lineup is right now.

We're going to win.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
It really does feel that way right now. It's still a dumb lineup though.

It's only dumb insomuch as Rios is out of the lineup, and we don't really know why. We do know he had a rough game yesterday and was uncharacteristically ejected. Who knows? Maybe he is banged up a little? Maybe he hasn't been getting much sleep with the new baby. I'm not going to make judgments based on information I don't have and the person making the decisions does.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
It's only dumb insomuch as Rios is out of the lineup, and we don't really know why. We do know he had a rough game yesterday and was uncharacteristically ejected. Who knows? Maybe he is banged up a little? Maybe he hasn't been getting much sleep with the new baby. I'm not going to make judgments based on information I don't have and the person making the decisions does.

Wouldn't you want to let him get right back out there after a rough game? It's not like he's a bad player, he just had a bad game. IMO, today is the last day you'd want to give a guy like that off, especially since we were just off on Monday and he had a day off Saturday too.

Jones hasn't played in a while. You know Ozzie's not going to take Pierre out of the lineup, Quentin's on a monster rampage, and Rios hasn't been blowing the world away recently. I'd prefer if Jones played for Kotsay, but eh, whatever.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
Jones hasn't played in a while. You know Ozzie's not going to take Pierre out of the lineup, Quentin's on a monster rampage, and Rios hasn't been blowing the world away recently. I'd prefer if Jones played for Kotsay, but eh, whatever.

I'd prefer it stay that way honestly :lol: But if you have to get him a game (and you're right, can't sit him everyday), put him in for Kotsay, not Rios.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
I'd prefer it stay that way honestly :lol: But if you have to get him a game (and you're right, can't sit him everyday), put him in for Kotsay, not Rios.

I agree, but Ozzie apparently can't get enough of Kotsay. I mean, I understand why, with him being so talented and all.

Oz just said that platooning Beckham and Vizquel at second is now a becoming a possibility. Viciedo playing well could only help that decision - cst_sox

Beckham could face platoon at 2B. .199 batting ave. 1BB in 29 games, too many K's says Guillen - MGonzales

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Not sure where southsider is, but I ain't starting no game thread. I have a bad track record for those.

Someone needs to call him as he probably forgot we have a day game.

The worst thing right now would be messing with the game thread streak mojo.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)

If he misses, and we lose, Pablo Escobar won't be happy.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Not sure where southsider is, but I ain't starting no game thread. I have a bad track record for those.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)

Done and done.

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
Just wanted to point out that Jenks is now tied for the MLB lead in Save Percentage. Not that he is having a tremendous year on the mound or anything but he is still quite effective in closing out games.

Taking this a little bit further, here are some save percentage numbers since 2006 of some closers:

.903 nathan

.898 soria

.898 papelbon

.881 jenks

.881 krod

.867 valverde

.865 hoffman

.864 cordero

.858 wagner

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
Taking this a little bit further, here are some save percentage numbers since 2006 of some closers:

.903 nathan

.898 soria

.898 papelbon

.881 jenks

.881 krod

.867 valverde

.865 hoffman

.864 cordero

.858 wagner

What was the ERA and hits allowed in those saves? I bet that Todd Jones' percentage was good as well.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
What was the ERA and hits allowed in those saves? I bet that Todd Jones' percentage was good as well.

I didn't pull the ERA and hits because I was really just looking for how well these guys "saved" ballgames.

Todd Jones save percentage since 2006 was .861

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)

As long as they save the game, it doesnt matter what the other numbers were..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
As long as they save the game, it doesnt matter what the other numbers were..

But things like ERA and WHIP have some predictive value, save percentage really doesn't, because that varies and can be achieved in numerous situations. Just look at Bobby's save the other night, he made one pitch.

That said though, Jenks' peripherals are pretty damn good this year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
But things like ERA and WHIP have some predictive value

Of course they do, but the thing is Jenks isn't always a crappy pitcher like he was earlier.. if he was always crappy, the save % would not be there

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
Of course they do, but the thing is Jenks isn't always a crappy pitcher like he was earlier.. if he was always crappy, the save % would not be there

It just manifested itself in tied ballgames which are arguably more important than save situations.

See how you just end up arguing the same s*** over and over?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
It just manifested itself in tied ballgames which are arguably more important than save situations.

See how you just end up arguing the same s*** over and over?

No not really, I don't know how baseball works remember.. so how would I understand what im talkin about..

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
If you're going to platoon Beckham, just send him down. He's not going to find his confidence in a platoon system, and he's actually been worse against lefties than righties.

Why is that always the case when we have/want a platoon?