Over .500 and within 5 games by the end of the month!

sin city sox fan

Don't look now...but we've won 4 in a row and moved to within 7.5 games of the division lead.

The rest of the month is filled with very winnable series....Pittsburgh, Washington, the Cubs again, and the Royals. Only tough series should be Atlanta....which is at home.

If we go 11-5 in these 16 games, we are over .500 at 39-38 and likely no more than 5 games out of the lead.

Lets keep up the strong starting pitching, turn up the bats a little more, and finish the month strong. If we go 11-5 (or better) during the remaining stretch, we'll be looking good and the division title will be ours for the taking!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Byrnes' slow-pitch, beer-league softball team could probably take a series from the Cubs. Don't read too much into this. This is still the team that can't beat the Indians, this is still the team that's 7.5 games back on June 12 of a team that's better then us. While we're playing the Pirates, Nats, Cubs and Royals, the Twins get to face the Rockies, Phillies, Brewers, and Mets. There’s no guarantee that when we play well, they’re going to fade away.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
I have a very bad feeling were gonna get screwed for the future with this easy stretch in the schedule..

Like what happened in late August last year?

This might sound dumb because baseball is a long grind, but doesn't it seem like the Sox are playing playoff intensity baseball against the Cub? And guess what? We play well and win.

Do the Sox play "hard" every night, especially against the lowlife Indians and Royals? I'm just wondering if the nights we sleepwalk and suck has something to do with mental frame of mind. Or is it just that we are a mediocre team?

I hate to use the "playing hard" analogy but to me it seems these Cub games have been intense and we've played well as a result.

Is playing hard a misnomer or only appropriate to football and basketball?

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
I have a very bad feeling were gonna get screwed for the future with this easy stretch in the schedule..

Screwed for the future? I've read this several times on this board, and I don't understand. Sure there are some who have a fantasy that the White Sox be in a perpetual state of rebuilding, but if they can get hot, why is that bad? Do you really think they have a lot of moveable parts that command top prospects right now?

I'm pretty sure they are an average at best team, but dumping guys for what probably would be Jon Adkins-like prospects isn't exactly destroying the future. In fact, if players perform closer to their career totals, the bounty trading them later may be bigger. Jake Peavy, Mark Buehrle, AJP anybody, they go on a hot streak how does it hurt their value? Its not like its now or never to trade guys. Even AJ. He's talking the talk, but he'll go if the Sox are out of it and the new team is in it, especially if they throw in an extension, which is very negotiable.

Edited by Dick Allen

This might sound dumb because baseball is a long grind, but doesn't it seem like the Sox are playing playoff intensity baseball against the Cub? And guess what? We play well and win.

Do the Sox play "hard" every night, especially against the lowlife Indians and Royals? I'm just wondering if the nights we sleepwalk and suck has something to do with mental frame of mind. Or is it just that we are a mediocre team?

I hate to use the "playing hard" analogy but to me it seems these Cub games have been intense and we've played well as a result.

Greg, I posed this similar type of question regarding attitude in the June Feasting thread I originated. Look as an example at the Twinkies. They really don't have any real All Star players apart from Morneau and Mauer. Their starting 5 pitching rotation is ok at best but they come to play every game and execute. It could be that but it makes for a really good debate.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 01:49 AM)

When you are winning, everything looks and appears better,even the effort. If the Sox lost yesterday 3-2 instead of won 2-1, some more heads would have been called for.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 04:56 AM)
Screwed for the future? I've read this several times on this board, and I don't understand. Sure there are some who have a fantasy that the White Sox be in a perpetual state of rebuilding, but if they can get hot, why is that bad? Do you really think they have a lot of moveable parts that command top prospects right now?

PK would likely bring a couple of solid prospects in return, not to mention a significant amount of salary relief. Thornton would also command something of value and, heck, they might even get something out of Putz as well. So, yeah, it's a fair question.

Thankfully, it's still mid-June and the Sox can afford to take a wait-and-see approach while these guys inflate their numbers against bad NL teams.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
Don't look now...but we've won 4 in a row and moved to within 7.5 games of the division lead.

The rest of the month is filled with very winnable series....Pittsburgh, Washington, the Cubs again, and the Royals. Only tough series should be Atlanta....which is at home.

If we go 11-5 in these 16 games, we are over .500 at 39-38 and likely no more than 5 games out of the lead.

Lets keep up the strong starting pitching, turn up the bats a little more, and finish the month strong. If we go 11-5 (or better) during the remaining stretch, we'll be looking good and the division title will be ours for the taking!

I agree with you that they have an opportunity to play their way to .500, but I just don't believe they will continue on a winning clip. That lineup is still very bad, and most of the rotation has been awful as well to this point. While I do think we'll see improved performances from the rotation, when you're depending on guys like Kotsay, Pierre, Jones, and have struggling younger guys (Quentin and Beckham), it's hard to get optimistic that this offense will be anything more than mediocre.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
Eric Byrnes' slow-pitch, beer-league softball team could probably take a series from the Cubs. Don't read too much into this. This is still the team that can't beat the Indians, this is still the team that's 7.5 games back on June 12 of a team that's better then us. While we're playing the Pirates, Nats, Cubs and Royals, the Twins get to face the Rockies, Phillies, Brewers, and Mets. There’s no guarantee that when we play well, they’re going to fade away.

Agreed with your analysis.

I wouldn't take that much from this series. I think they are playing hard, but there's just not enough good players in this lineup. That will have it's impact on the club in the long run.

All I know is that if Q and Bacon can put up good 2nd half numbers and the starting pitching gets stronger and the rest of the team remains status quo we just might make a run and draw crowds. Giving up on the team means giving up revenue despite all we hear about getting younger and trading away productive pieces. Getting younger at this point in time means getting worse and I like our chances better relying on current players to improve.

Unlike a few yrs ago, he no longer is able to motivate them against "inferior" teams. Possibly the players getting tired of & tunning out Ozzie. Maybe they're getting distracted from the off the field drama this season. All the more reasons to fire him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
of course, this is what I want. To push up to around .500 and float around there being vaguely competitive only to lose the division by 8-10 games but be able to say we had another winning record.

I have a sick feeling that we're going to do just this.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
of course, this is what I want. To push up to around .500 and float around there being vaguely competitive only to lose the division by 8-10 games but be able to say we had another winning record.

If this team got to .500, that would mean that they finished the season 9 games above .500 after June 1.