2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
Small thing, but I'm bothered that the Score is carrying the Epstein press conference when they did not carry Ventura's.

I thought the same thing and If Quade is fired they will have new Cubs managers press conference on also. You can book that :huh

Edited by Soxfest

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 08:03 AM)
Huh?

Simple, Ricketts/Epstein get their new ballpark/luxury suites, etc., and they'll be able to expand their payroll by at least $25 million, if not $50, per year.

That's a long ways off, and in the current "anti-tax/anti-government" period we're in now, would be very difficult to pull off.

But, as everyone who follows politics knows, Emmanuel's a big Cubs' fans and he'll choose the most opportune time to strike.

Small thing, but I'm bothered that the Score is carrying the Epstein press conference when they did not carry Ventura's.

Its bad enough the Score is a sports talk station doing that, but being the White Sox flagship makes it ridiculous.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
Simple, Ricketts/Epstein get their new ballpark/luxury suites, etc., and they'll be able to expand their payroll by at least $25 million, if not $50, per year.

That's a long ways off, and in the current "anti-tax/anti-government" period we're in now, would be very difficult to pull off.

But, as everyone who follows politics knows, Emmanuel's a big Cubs' fans and he'll choose the most opportune time to strike.

The Cubs cannot get a new ballpark. They could build the worlds nicest ballpark and they'd lose 1/3 of their regular ticket buyers. Maybe more. That's the quickest possible way for them to turn into the White Sox; lose their biggest asset.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
The Cubs cannot get a new ballpark. They could build the worlds nicest ballpark and they'd lose 1/3 of their regular ticket buyers. Maybe more. That's the quickest possible way for them to turn into the White Sox; lose their biggest asset.

Well they cant tear down wrigley, so they would have to build it somewhere else. Immediately they lose ALL of their tourist fan base.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Well they cant tear down wrigley, so they would have to build it somewhere else. Immediately they lose ALL of their tourist fan base.

They could absolutely do what the Red Sox did with Fenway to bring it to the 21st century.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
They could absolutely do what the Red Sox did with Fenway to bring it to the 21st century.

Maybe, Wrigley is in much worse shape on a very small parcel of land though. They've resigned to just building s*** around it for the most part which is not that great of an idea compared to trying to gut certain areas of the park.

If I was them, I would first concentrate on modernizing areas like food service (almost all stands failed inspections), clubhouses and then amenities like bathrooms, ramps, seats etc.

They carried the 45 minute conference call live the day he got hired.

The official press conference for the photo-op was about 15 minutes, and the Bears played the night before. It really was no big deal.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
They carried the 45 minute conference call live the day he got hired.

The official press conference for the photo-op was about 15 minutes, and the Bears played the night before. It really was no big deal.

And to be fair, the Sox werent billing Ventura as the Jesus of managers to lead us to the promised land like Theo is.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
Oh! He has a policy! The delicate genius has a policy!

The only thing that I know Theo has is a cell phone. And that is because it is on his ear in EVERY PICTURE AND VIDEO I SEE OF HIM

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
This is really bothering you, isn't it?

It's true though, you would have thought that Theo meant the Cubs were bringing in Pujols, Fielder, CC, Buehrle, etc today. The hype is absolutely ridiculous for Theo right now.

If I were a Cubs fan, I would probably be excited that they're bringing in management that has done it before. It starts from the top, and historically they've always been bad at the top, or didn't care about winning. It's not a guarantee that they'll win, but they're in better shape today than they were yesterday.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)

Or...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)

They may need to do MORE work than was needed on Fenway, but they are absolutely not moving from that location. They may even be willing to spend part or all of a season playing elsewhere while it is rebuilt in place, or maybe they go 2 or 3 seasons having parts of the park closed at a time... but they will not move.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
Even if I didn't know a thing about Theo, I still wouldn't be able to help but be impressed by listening to him. And this guy is DEAD f***ING SERIOUS when it comes to scouting and player development. He mentioned in more than once so far in his Score interview. Unbelievable hire for the Cubs.

Unfortunately, after the compensation is done for Theo and Hoyer, Theo will have very, very little available to develop in the Cubs system. It is already just about as bad as the Sox have.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
I think the pure stupidity of Cubs fans is ridiculous in this situation.

Caring about the stupidity of Cubs fans should have left your complex with your teenage years. There are idiot Cubs fans, there are idiot Sox fans, there are idiot ballet fans. Choosing to listen and/or care about their opinion is where your complex lies.

There are smart Cubs fans who know this isn't an overnight thing. However, going from Hendry to Theo can't be anything but good, only because it proves the Cubs and Ricketts will absolutely spend to try to win in the future.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
Unfortunately, after the compensation is done for Theo and Hoyer, Theo will have very, very little available to develop in the Cubs system. It is already just about as bad as the Sox have.

I would bet heavily that they find funds to put into it or detract from other areas to do so. It's Theo's model to build through the draft, and I bet he made that clear to Ricketts before coming over there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)

That's so not true after the draft they just had. At least three of their draft picks would be our top prospect, and that doesn't include B. Jackson.