Sox scouting Brandon Beachy

BaseballNick

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have enough options down in the minors to fill any bullpen needs with Reed, Infante, Remenowsky, Lindsay, etc.

I have no problem trading away Carlos, his value with us will probably never be any higher (unless Carlos enters the Home Run Derby and kills the competition like Abreu did a few years back) and would probably be a pretty shrewd decision to move him for the best package available. I don't see the reason behind trading for a SP just to turn around and trade another SP for prospects when you could probably get a pretty compelling package of prospects for Quentin anyway.

KW should be working the phones with the Giants 24/7 to pry away some of their better prospects, they desperately need some offense to stay in first in the West and might be desperate enough to give up some of their better prospects. I'd start discussions around a package around Zack Wheeler and one of Francisco Peguero, Gary Brown or Jarrett Parker first but would settle for something like 1 of Peguero, Brown or Parker, Eric Surkamp and Michael Main.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
My guess is Juan is either gone next year or is the 4th OF'er. So Viciedo moves to right and CQ to left. Trade CQ and you just open up another hole IMO

I believe that Pierre is a free agent next year so you could argue that the Sox will simply move Quentin to LF and promote Viceido to RF. There's also the possiblity that the Sox will look to unload Qunetin for younger talent as well - he's due for more money and the Sox haven't been able to work out a long term deal. They could go with a platoon in LF with De Aza/Lillibridge to save money there though the production (or lack of) would be a major question.

Obviously this .500 team needs help if it hopes to even win the division much less do anything in the playoffs.

We already have a great bat in the minors ready to come up.

But to merely substitute Dayan for Quentin accomplishes nothing.

Kenny gets paid to make good deals; I hope this one isn't another Jackson-type flop.

This is an interesting thought. Per FanGraphs:

Michael Bourn

It’s not often that a team makes available its WAR leader, but in Bourn it is probably the smart move. He will become a free agent after the 2012 season, and so can provide more value to an acquiring team than a mere rental. He’ll also fetch a decent bounty in prospects, since plenty of teams would love a leadoff-hitting, base-stealing center fielder who plays solid, if not spectacular, defense. He has the remainder of his $4.4 million salary this year, plus a third-year arbitration raise in 2012, and so will not be too great a burden on a reasonably sized payroll.

If the White Sox want to make a run they could find use for Bourn. It would allow them to move the struggling Alex Rios to a corner, thereby removing Juan Pierre from the lineup. The Nationals could be interested, but they probably want someone under team control a bit longer than Bourn, since they’re looking for a long-term answer. But perhaps the most intriguing option is the Braves. They’ve used Jordan Schafer and Nate McLouth to little positive effect. In Bourn they’d get both the center fielder and the leadoff man they’ve sought for years. It almost makes too much sense.

That would be a great reason to deal CQ or Rios for pitching prospects. Talk about solving the Juan Pierre problem! You run out Pierre/Bourn/Rios or Quentin for the ROS, let Pierre walk in the offseason and replace him with Viciedo. Now we actually have a real leadoff hitter!

One might also speculate that Beachy could be the one flipped to the Astros for Bourn. Pure speculation, but it makes so much sense!

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
This is an interesting thought. Per FanGraphs:

That would be a great reason to deal CQ or Rios for pitching prospects. Talk about solving the Juan Pierre problem! You run out Pierre/Bourn/Rios or Quentin for the ROS, let Pierre walk in the offseason and replace him with Viciedo. Now we actually have a real leadoff hitter!

One might also speculate that Beachy could be the one flipped to the Astros for Bourn. Pure speculation, but it makes so much sense!

If you did a Rios/Quentin for Beachy/Lowe and then flipped Beachy for Bourn I could live with Pierre/Bourn/Viciedo for the rest of the year. Then pray De Aza or Danks can make strides for next year.

After watching Dunn flail away for half a season, I'd be a bit more skeptical about bringing in another NL hitter in the middle of the season who's meant to be the "igniter" of the team.

Sure, you'd rather have Bourn than Pierre, no doubt about that one. Just pretty hard to assume he'd come close to hitting the ground running for 2011.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
If you did a Rios/Quentin for Beachy/Lowe and then flipped Beachy for Bourn I could live with Pierre/Bourn/Viciedo for the rest of the year. Then pray De Aza or Danks can make strides for next year.

Oh heck no, I don't want two slappy hitters on the team. Trading Quentin and getting Bourn in return would be a really, really bad trade.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
Oh heck no, I don't want two slappy hitters on the team. Trading Quentin and getting Bourn in return would be a really, really bad trade.

This is if we've given up hope on this year.

Also, forgot about Milledge.

A Milledge-Bourn-Viciedo OF wouldn't be terrible for next year.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
Could anybody see Teahen getting dealt to ATL? We'd have to throw in a quality player or pick up probably 95% of Teahen's salary, we really need him off this team

I don't knoew about to Atlanta, but I would not be surprised if Teahan did go. It seems that with Morel up an doing a good job with the glove and at least adequate at this point with the bat Teahan is being bounced around for playing time. He can still play a pretty decent 3B and has shown some versatility, but is good enough to be an everyday player for some team

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
I hope you are suggesting they are trying to find a creative way to get Viciedo on this team, and not that they would trade him, because I would scream like a child.

KW gets stiffer wood looking at Viciedo than any other White Sox property. He wants him in Chicago. If he can get a great return for Quentin, I think he would it. It will save him money next year and using the old CLee trade formula, the trade would actually be whatever they get for Quentin plus Viciedo. I also think other factors would have to be involved like Dunn and some others picking it up a bit so not all the pressure to improve the offense is put on Viciedo with CQ gone. CQ is a weird guy. Who knows, maybe it wears on the clubhouse. I wouldn't give him away though. He can still hit, and he's playing a lot better in RF.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
KW gets stiffer wood looking at Viciedo than any other White Sox property. He wants him in Chicago. If he can get a great return for Quentin, I think he would it. It will save him money next year and using the old CLee trade formula, the trade would actually be whatever they get for Quentin plus Viciedo. I also think other factors would have to be involved like Dunn and some others picking it up a bit so not all the pressure to improve the offense is put on Viciedo with CQ gone. CQ is a weird guy. Who knows, maybe it wears on the clubhouse. I wouldn't give him away though. He can still hit, and he's playing a lot better in RF.

Basically, the opposite of the Jackson for Hudson/Holmberg trade.

You really wonder if we acquired someone like J. Damon on the cheap for DH and held onto Hudson exactly what position we'd be in today. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. We'd definitely have a lot more flexibility going forward and be at $105-110 million in payroll instead of $127.

I'm sure Reinsdorf would be more comfortable at that number.

Braves won't do this. I know they're overflowing with pitching, majors and minors, but they're not parting with a cost/team controlled gem for a defensively-challenged (though he's been better this year; hard to be worse), injury-prone guy who's a year away from FA. Beachy is probably the NL ROY front-runner if not for his DL stint.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
Braves won't do this. I know they're overflowing with pitching, majors and minors, but they're not parting with a cost/team controlled gem for a defensively-challenged (though he's been better this year; hard to be worse), injury-prone guy who's a year away from FA. Beachy is probably the NL ROY front-runner if not for his DL stint.

You might if you're just one hitter away and you feel you have 3 even better arms in the minors.

It all depends on how they feel internally about Beachy's top ceiling. Obviously last year, Hudson wouldn't have been traded if Cooper/KW felt Hudson would be able to be a #1-2 starter for the White Sox.

And they'd have Quentin for at least 1 1/3rd seasons, not unlike the Jackson trade.

If you look at the stats for Heyward and Schafer, they're way down.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
I don't knoew about to Atlanta, but I would not be surprised if Teahan did go. It seems that with Morel up an doing a good job with the glove and at least adequate at this point with the bat Teahan is being bounced around for playing time. He can still play a pretty decent 3B and has shown some versatility, but is good enough to be an everyday player for some team

Name that team who would replace one of their starting players with Mark Teahen.