Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person who wouldn't mind seeing Thornton go at all? I'm sick of him, really. I cringe every time he is in a ballgame, and he seems to fold under any sort of pressure.

In fact, Fangraphs back this idea up.

In LOW leverage situations, he has a 0.00 ERA with a .148 BAA, 0.76 WHIP

In MED leverage sitatuions, he has a 2.89 ERA with a .308 BAA, 1.61 WHIP

In HIGH leverage situations, he has a 12.70 ERA with a .400 BAA, 2.12 WHIP

Thornton is GOD AWFUL in pressure situations. And those trends are the same for the past few years.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
That's a team option isnt it?

Yes it is, just like Peavy.

1/16/09: Signed four-year, $41.125 million contract. 2011: $12 million, 2012: $12 million, 2013: $13 million club option ($1.0 million buyout).

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
Am I the only person who wouldn't mind seeing Thornton go at all? I'm sick of him, really. I cringe every time he is in a ballgame, and he seems to fold under any sort of pressure.

In fact, Fangraphs back this idea up.

In LOW leverage situations, he has a 0.00 ERA with a .148 BAA, 0.76 WHIP

In MED leverage sitatuions, he has a 2.89 ERA with a .308 BAA, 1.61 WHIP

In HIGH leverage situations, he has a 12.70 ERA with a .400 BAA, 2.12 WHIP

Thornton is GOD AWFUL in pressure situations. And those trends are the same for the past few years.

You are not wrong. I just think he's got more value than Youk, both to the White Sox and, by reputation, to the rest of MLB. No faith in a Youk return to form. I wouldn't lament the loss of Thornton a whole lot, though.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
You are not wrong. I just think he's got more value than Youk, both to the White Sox and, by reputation, to the rest of MLB. No faith in a Youk return to form. I wouldn't lament the loss of Thornton a whole lot, though.

Youk and Thornton are pretty much on the same level now, no money considered. And plus, if we are truly competing with multiple teams, then if it takes Thornton, then fine.

Youk has the potential to be better than Morel/Hudson/Escobar/A Cardboard cut out of Lara Croft, but I honestly cant remember KW making a mid-season trade that helped the team make the drive to the post-season. So it more than likely won't work out anyway...

I think Thornton needs to get out of the AL Central. He has faced these guys on the Tigers & Indians SO MANY times & when your 95% of the time throwing fastballs these hitters are just extremely comfortable with him now.

Not to mention he is aging a bit, but his fastball still has its pop.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Youk has the potential to be better than Morel/Hudson/Escobar/A Cardboard cut out of Lara Croft, but I honestly cant remember KW making a mid-season trade that helped the team make the drive to the post-season. So it more than likely won't work out anyway...

If this goes through, which I do see us ultimately landing "YOLK" (though I sincerely doubt we give up Thorton), I really like what this does for our lineup. I think Youk is suffering from the cancerous Bosox clubhouse that everyone is talking about. That along with the fact Bobby V pubublically called him out for not giving 100% I just think he needs a change of sceanery. I think he will fit it nicely at the bottom of our lineup and give Tank some better pitches to hit with Youk batting behind him. Youk takes a ton of pitches and honestly I would bet he comes in to our relaxed clubhouse and gets back to his old self. I have a feeling this could end up being a great move for us, or whoever ends us trading for him.

Lastly, even if we give up Thorton, KW will be able to get another bullpen arm closer to the deadline once the wild card pictures are a little clearer. And I also believe we will see him add that coveted SP before the deadline, if this trade goes through it shows we are going for it and will be adding this July instead of subtracting.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Kevin is under contract for next year for 13 million I believe

Good. No way in hell Sox will pay the club option on that. He's a rental, so give them Crain and be done with it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
Good. No way in hell Sox will pay the club option on that. He's a rental, so give them Crain and be done with it.

Why? Crain is a pretty damn good reliever and has no reason to regress, he's in his prime

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)

He's not under contract for next year. He has a team option at 13 million or a 1 million buyout.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
Sounds like Manny Ramierez all over again.

Kind of, but he's much less expensive, not as old, and IMO more likely to produce again (not sure how likely though)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
It would be nice to break up the Rios/AJ/Viciedo/Alexei part of the lineup with someone that can draw a walk. Only 43 combined walk for those 4 guys this season.

Yup no doubt about that. I really just don't like Tank & Lexi batting back2back. Need somebody willing to take a walk in between lol those guys swing at everything in sight.

Although its nice to see Lexi heating up (as usual) & Tank has to be due for another hot stretch.