Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 11:41 PM)
I don't think he is a bad guy. He is probably liked in the clubhouse. I just don't know if you want his inconsistent effort as a veteran around a young team.

Stone was on a radio show last week which got no pub, but they asked him about Rios getting benched for loafing, and he said Alex was probably surprised because he hasn't hustled since he's been here and for the most part, gotten away with it.

Damn. Stone is very blunt. I love the fact Hawk and Stone say stuff like this. KC's announcers would be way too afraid except for Denny Matthews who doesn't care enough to voice an opinion.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
Yep.. no need to make a deal if the prospect isn't right. At this point I would much rather bank on those supplemental draft picks. I am sure he will at least be a type B free agent.

Type A,B,C free agents do not exist anymore. We'd have to make a qualifying offer on him to get compensation after his contract runs out. That basically means you're offering a very expensive one year contract to the player, if they decline and sign somewhere else then you get a first or second round pick. If they accept, you're stuck with paying them a bunch of money, this year the qualifying offer amount was about 13.3 million if I recall. It's pretty much like the franchise tag in the NFL except in the NFL nobody ever signs someone who's been franchised and this season many players who received qualifying offers were signed to other teams like Josh Hamilton, Kyle Lohse, etc...

It makes too much sense to not deal him. The rangers should give a fair deal with Cruz out, and Ros could help them. And the Sox need to add by subtraction. Garcia can slide right into RF, the sox get salary relief (even though some cash may be involved), and more young talent is added. Win-win for both sides.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 06:55 AM)
It makes too much sense to not deal him. The rangers should give a fair deal with Cruz out, and Ros could help them. And the Sox need to add by subtraction. Garcia can slide right into RF, the sox get salary relief (even though some cash may be involved), and more young talent is added. Win-win for both sides.

What day and time is the deadline on this Rios thing?

What day and time is the deadline on this Rios thing?

It's not public information. Best guess is close of business today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Dallas newspaper is saying the deadline is noon Saturday.

I would give this a 10% chance a deal gets done, 89.99% chance the Sox keep him, and a 0.01% chance the Sox just give him away.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
Type A,B,C free agents do not exist anymore. We'd have to make a qualifying offer on him to get compensation after his contract runs out. That basically means you're offering a very expensive one year contract to the player, if they decline and sign somewhere else then you get a first or second round pick. If they accept, you're stuck with paying them a bunch of money, this year the qualifying offer amount was about 13.3 million if I recall. It's pretty much like the franchise tag in the NFL except in the NFL nobody ever signs someone who's been franchised and this season many players who received qualifying offers were signed to other teams like Josh Hamilton, Kyle Lohse, etc...

Actually, $13 million might not be a terrible offer for a 1 year deal on Rios depending on how he ages over the next 2 seasons.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)

Thank you for this post. I knew there were changes in the way free agency works but I wasn't clear on the new policy. After reading this, and finally understanding the new system, it makes perfect sense to deal him now and not wait for the winter.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
I think at some point tonight is the deadline. My question is, If they fail to make a deal can another team claim him? I am pretty sure they can't.

If no deal is reached, he is removed from waivers. The Sox could then expose him to waivers again, but at that point the Sox would cede rights to his contract if he were claimed, at which point they would lose him to the claimant.

Just to add one more thing to this: if you trade for a player during the last year of his contract, you no longer have the right to get draft pick compensation for the player. So if Rios gets traded next June, the team who takes him couldn't get a draft pick for him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Just to add one more thing to this: if you trade for a player during the last year of his contract, you no longer have the right to get draft pick compensation for the player. So if Rios gets traded next June, the team who takes him couldn't get a draft pick for him.

Rios has an option year for 2015 that would stand a good chance of being picked up if he continues to produce at this level for another season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 06:41 AM)
Rios has an option year for 2015 that would stand a good chance of being picked up if he continues to produce at this level for another season.

Additionally, and maybe because he has never been the guy who gives max effort very often (which I am not sure isn't the way to go, to be honest), he has aged incredibly well. He's in outstanding physical condition, is not particularly prone to injury, and given that he's stolen 26 of 32 bases this season, doesn't seem to be close to slowing down yet.

I think he'll be one of those guys who doesn't decline physically until his late thirties.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
Additionally, and maybe because he has never been the guy who gives max effort very often (which I am not sure isn't the way to go, to be honest), he has aged incredibly well. He's in outstanding physical condition, is not particularly prone to injury, and given that he's stolen 26 of 32 bases this season, doesn't seem to be close to slowing down yet.

I think he'll be one of those guys who doesn't decline physically until his late thirties.

It's hard to think of a better athlete in recent Sox history.

If you give up Rios you will pay more to replace him.

Make the Rangers take 85% of the salary and the Sox get a Top 5 player and another Top 20 prospect and it is a deal.

Look at what Swisher got this past offseason.

Not sure why the Rangers would claim him, they knew the asking price nine days ago and it should not go down.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)

Make the Rangers take 85% of the salary and the Sox get a Top 5 player and another Top 20 prospect and it is a deal.

Not sure why the Rangers would claim him, they knew the asking price nine days ago and it should not go down.

That sounds fair and the way you wrote it the White Sox would be chipping in about $2.5 million, so if that's what the Rangers want then yeah a couple players at about that level make sense.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:34 AM)

I think this is sort of what Hahn's thinking is, which shows us how they feel about next season and the season after that.

I saw Hahn mention he didn't see this as a rebuild, but rather as a "reshaping," and that they don't necessarily believe in rebuilding because we have teams make rapid progress in just one offseason.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
So you guys think Rios is gone today or still be with the Sox or the rest of the season?

I'm just assuming he stays.

I understand why they don't just want to give him away, but if they did just shed the payroll, it wouldn't bother me. I know that's not the popular opinion, or necessarily the right thing, but I wouldn't care if they just let him go to get the money off the books and get Garcia in the lineup.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)

That last part is what gives me hope a deal can be reached. The Rangers knew the asking price 10 days ago, if there really were "not close" to acquiring him, then why claim him and go through the trouble? They obviously want him, it's just a matter of finding a middle ground.

So you guys think Rios is gone today or still be with the Sox or the rest of the season?

I believe there will be a nice compromise between the White Sox and Rangers and a deal will be made tonight. I think the Rangers will include Odor in such deal after all. The White Sox will contribute about $3 million to the deal which will cover the rest of the season- however, the Rangers will take on his remaining salary for 2014 and beyond (if they take his option).

I know Reinsdorf hates including money in any deal, but if it means getting a high ceiling prospect back, I can see him giving Hahn the green light.

Edited by GreatScott82

I think he stays. He is worth more to the Sox than teams are willing to give for him. I think PK retires. Viciedo goes to first and the outfield is De Aza, Garcia and Rios. Rios is in right and Garcia and De Aza will be CF and LF depending on who the staff feel is a better fit.