2014 White Sox

rowand's rowdies

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
Can someone give a good recap of our salary for 2014, our roster locks and possibilities, and 2014 draft prospects since we will have a top 3 pick in next years draft?

Also some free agents we could target?

There are REALLY no roster locks, right now....looking forward to 2014, except for John Danks and Adam Dunn.

FA (McCann)/Phegley or Flowers as back-up

1B ??? (Morales/Morneau/Carlos Pena)...possibly Viciedo

2B Beckham/Semien

SS Ramirez/Leury Garcia/Semien/Carlos Sanchez

3B Gillaspie/Keppinger (if not traded)/Semien

LF Viciedo/DeAza/FA/trade

CF DeAza or A. Garcia (Granderson/Choo/Ellsbury)

RF A Garcia or Viciedo

Sale

Danks

Santiago or Quintana (one likely to be traded for a hitter, in theory)

Erik Johnson

Andre Rienzo/Snodgress/darkhorse candidate/FA/trade

Reed (if not traded)

Jones (if not traded)

Lindstrom will be gone

Santos Rodriguez/Veal/Purcey (pick one loogy, perhaps 2)

Webb

Montas (maybe, if they decide he won't stick as a starter)

Axelrod (god, i hope not), Simon Castro, Petricka, Taylor Thompson, Salvador Sanchez, etc.

The payroll is interesting, because it would be hard to believe that the FO would run out there without bringing it up to at least $70m or so, even though no one expects us to compete. Makes you wonder if the will go for someone like McCann if they feel like he can take some ABs at 1B/DH as he gets older and no impact bat in the system that projects at 1B in the near future.

Then again: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/jose...-from-cuba.html

Edited by Eminor3rd

Just seen that Jose Dariel has been able to escape Cuba, if that is true maybe all this money Hahn just saved can go toward him and locking up Quintana and Santiago, followed by Beckham and maybe Reed.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 10:42 PM)
Just seen that Jose Dariel has been able to escape Cuba, if that is true maybe all this money Hahn just saved can go toward him and locking up Quintana and Santiago, followed by Beckham and maybe Reed.

Look at the Puig deal and start adding to that total amount for Abreu

speaking of him there is a great article that kind of takes you into the world of Cuban baseball

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/760160...e-weapon-planet

Edited by Baron

Posted this in the Puig thread just yesterday...

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Jose Abreu is the best hitter in Cuba, I can't find anything saying he'll come to the US though. If he does Sox should be all over him. He's 26 and check out this stat line .453/.597/.986 with 79 runs, 93 RBI and 33 home runs in only 66 games.

C'mon Tank and Lexi, get on the phone and get this guy over here.

...then a day later this comes out???

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 10:34 PM)
The payroll is interesting, because it would be hard to believe that the FO would run out there without bringing it up to at least $70m or so, even though no one expects us to compete. Makes you wonder if the will go for someone like McCann if they feel like he can take some ABs at 1B/DH as he gets older and no impact bat in the system that projects at 1B in the near future.

Then again: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/jose...-from-cuba.html

GASP! :o

It's fate...I want this guy.... :pray

Says he'll get more than the 7/42 Puig got and that is totally fine with me. Hell I'd go 7/56-63, or whatever if I had to. Yes there's some risk involved but there's been a good enough trend of Cubans coming over here and doing good things. This guy put up better numbers than Puig and Cespedes. He could be a franchise changer.

Oh god, I salivate at the thought of signing both he and Cano.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 12:48 AM)
Posted this in the Puig thread just yesterday...

...then a day later this comes out???

GASP! :o

It's fate...I want this guy.... :pray

Says he'll get more than the 7/42 Puig got and that is totally fine with me. Hell I'd go 7/56-63, or whatever if I had to. Yes there's some risk involved but there's been a good enough trend of Cubans coming over here and doing good things. This guy put up better numbers than Puig and Cespedes. He could be a franchise changer.

Oh god, I salivate at the thought of signing both he and Cano.

The ultimate high risk, high reward.

Bring it. I love me the Cubans and it would make keeping Alexi while removing him from the two hole acceptable and yes this is a run on sentence, how I love them so, even more than ice cream on a hot summer day when all one really wants is ice water with a side of tang.

It's going to be an interesting offseason indeed:

With what’s been projected as a deep draft class, the White Sox should be able to add more impact talent. Hahn also believes the club, which has roughly $48 million committed to next season’s roster, will have financial flexibility for free agency or trades.

“It’s going to go to making the big-league club better for the long haul, no doubt,” Hahn said. “One of the positives of an unfortunate season like this is we’re going to have the opportunity in all probability to spend a lot more money on amateur talent. So certainly any savings, that’s probably going to be the first couple of line items next year, what we spend on the draft and what we spend internationally. Even after that, given the flexibility that’s opened up, there will be the opportunity, whether it be via trade or free agency, to perhaps take on money as the offseason unfolds.”

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 04:42 AM)

It would make so much sense for the White Sox to go after him. The good news is the Dodgers aren't likely to bid for him due to having Gonzalez at 1B, same with the Cubs and Rizzo.

For s***s and giggles I was perusing the St. Louis Cardinal 40 man roster and I'm pretty shocked by how many of their players are mid-to-late round draft picks (by the cardinals) who are making significant contributions. When a guy like Matt Adams (23rd round) develops into a keeper in 4 years, you can't help but question the impact of player development. La Russa certainly had a say in how the Cardinals drafted and developed talent, and he wants a high-level position with a team. So in regard to the thread title, I'd like to see a plan where Tony is hired to replace Kenny and guide Rick Hahn (and fire Buddy "Jared Mitchell is a God" Bell).

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 07:32 AM)
I think White Sox brass views Garcia as the 1B/DH of the future.

From what I've read and what I've seen (I will not over-react; I like him) Garcia again looks like a White Sox free-swinger with a bunch of talent (see Viciedo, see DeAza) who could use some coaching.

I like the fact Manto got Beckham to bend his knees. Beckham should now be a .300 hitter the rest of his career, though his power may have been zapped, which is OK. He was on fast track to the minors if he kept his old stance.

But folks, our youngsters (Phegs isn't going to make it without some refining as well) need help. Is Manto the man the young players will respect enough to give that help? I'd fire him and bring in a FAMOUS hitting coach. Big Frank probably won't do it. He's too rich to want to travel that much during the season. Is SOMEBODY out there??? Garcia's future may depend on it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)
It would make so much sense for the White Sox to go after him. The good news is the Dodgers aren't likely to bid for him due to having Gonzalez at 1B, same with the Cubs and Rizzo.

Thing is, if the White Sox scouts decide he's a can't miss prospect, the Sox HAVE to acquire him if they want to be relevant in the Central Division quickly.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 02:51 AM)
You would think wrong.

He will outgrow the OF position as he continues to grow into his body and eventually his speed will decline, a move to first will benefit him in the long term. And out of the players down in the farm, who projects to be their 1B of the future? Its definitely not Keon Barnum.