Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
The Sox need a 1B and a middle of the order bat. They have cleared a lot of money off the books and already said they would use it for international signings. If this is the best guy available, the Sox should pay whatever the market price is for him.

Isn't this pretty much the same reason we signed Dunn?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
Yes, but that idea was good on paper. It wasn't like the plan was to spend a lot of money to sign a guy whose career would instantly implode.

Oh, I know...and as you probably also know by now, I am one of Dunn's bigger supporters here.

I'm merely pointing out that what seems like a simple decision on paper doesn't always work out like everyone thought it would.

Look at it this way...Dunn had about as consistent of a career as one can produce in the mlb for a prodigious run producer. There was a lot more there to go off of than Abreu. And we all know what's happened.

Just pointing out some of the risk in the path that everyone seems to be advocating.

Edited by iamshack

The kid is an option for Sox...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...n-williams.html

Asked how active the Sox will be in free agency during the offseason, Williams said, ‘‘If there’s somebody out there that fits that bill, that fits in with a younger core for an

extended period of time, why not?’’

He has seen video of slugging 26-year-old first baseman Jose Abreu, the next big thing in the Cuban defector sweepstakes, who will demand a huge contract. Too big for the Sox? They’ve cut payroll significantly with recent trades. While saying he wants to see more video, Williams didn’t rule out Abreu, who probably will get at least $50 million.

‘‘If it’s big money, it’s big money,’’ Williams said. ‘‘Can we fit it into our equation? We’ve gone out and spent money before at given times. It has to fit into the current equation and our three-year look. But I need to see more video.’’

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
Oh, I know...and as you probably also know by now, I am one of Dunn's bigger supporters here.

I'm merely pointing out that what seems like a simple decision on paper doesn't always work out like everyone thought it would.

Look at it this way...Dunn had about as consistent of a career as one can produce in the mlb for a prodigious run producer. There was a lot more there to go off of than Abreu. And we all know what's happened.

Just pointing out some of the risk in the path that everyone seems to be advocating.

Well said. Risk indeed.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
Jeter

Completely unrelated, but it's funny how much everybody adores Jeter for being such a stand up guy, when the truth is that he's too much of a prima donna to even consider the idea of playing another position -- despite the fact that he's been a bad defender for years. As his career winds down into the "constantly injured" phase, the only place they'll be able to stick him is DH, even though he could probably help them by filling in in other places where they have a need and his poor range would be less of a detriment.

As long as our scouts are 100% sold on Abreu, I think we have to go all out for him. The 2015 free agent list is horrific on the offensive side, with 3B being the exception. We desperately need to add a couple of young middle of the order bats to build around. I think Garcia can eventually be one of those guys, but outside of possibly Viciedo I don't see anything in the system helping us anytime soon.

Signing Abreu for 1B this offseason and one of Headley, Sandoval, & Ramirez for 3B the following offseason would go a long ways toward fixing this offense.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
Completely unrelated, but it's funny how much everybody adores Jeter for being such a stand up guy, when the truth is that he's too much of a prima donna to even consider the idea of playing another position -- despite the fact that he's been a bad defender for years. As his career winds down into the "constantly injured" phase, the only place they'll be able to stick him is DH, even though he could probably help them by filling in in other places where they have a need and his poor range would be less of a detriment.

Um, 2010 Gold Glove winner at SS. :huh:

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
As long as our scouts are 100% sold on Abreu, I think we have to go all out for him. The 2015 free agent list is horrific on the offensive side, with 3B being the exception. We desperately need to add a couple of young middle of the order bats to build around. I think Garcia can eventually be one of those guys, but outside of possibly Viciedo I don't see anything in the system helping us anytime soon.

Signing Abreu for 1B this offseason and one of Headley, Sandoval, & Ramirez for 3B the following offseason would go a long ways toward fixing this offense.

with sandoval's weight/health concerns?

no way

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
At some point you have to take some risks. We're not going to fill all of our needs from within and free agency isn't what it once was.

understood....but that's not one you touch with a ten foot pole unless it's a situation like Jermaine Dye where his career's in doubt/danger and the risk/downside is minimized

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
Um, 2010 Gold Glove winner at SS. :huh:

:lol: come on bro. everybody knows this is a joke. Jeter's gold gloves and Kobe's all-defensive first team votes are some of the biggest jokes in sports. many undeserved years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)

Keith Law said today that Abreu is worth no where near what Cepedes and Puig were because he is not an athlete like they are.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)
Keith Law said today that Abreu is worth no where near what Cepedes and Puig were because he is not an athlete like they are.

This line of thinking is usually borne out in the draft process as well. How often do you see 1B picked in the first round?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)

They guy's been rated as 70 hit / 70 power. Who cares how fast he runs or if he can jump over a car?