Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
Abreu's at-bats were pretty impressive last night. His last hit (the single) showed great adjustment to an inside pitch. Hawk kept talking about it and saying how much it reminds him of Frank Thomas.

I wish, but Abreu swings at a lot more bad pitches than Frank. We will see moving forward what happens, but if he ever achieves anywhere near Frank's discipline at the plate, his numbers are going to be insane.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
I wish, but Abreu swings at a lot more bad pitches than Frank. We will see moving forward what happens, but if he ever achieves anywhere near Frank's discipline at the plate, his numbers are going to be insane.

I think we'll see as pitchers adjust to him, he will adjust and be more patient. If he does that, he'll walk more, too. But yes, his numbers could be ridiculous. Even if his adjustment period is slow, he could still hit 40+ HRs this year with a lower than ideal BA.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 8, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
I think we'll see as pitchers adjust to him, he will adjust and be more patient. If he does that, he'll walk more, too. But yes, his numbers could be ridiculous. Even if his adjustment period is slow, he could still hit 40+ HRs this year with a lower than ideal BA.

He is more aggressive than Thomas was. This is not a bad thing. It drove me crazy when Thomas would take a pitch slightly high for a walk with a man on second. Those are the best pitches to drive and he could've produced a run.

This was the type of thing that drove team mates nuts as well and why he got termed a "selfish" player. He was more worried about his stats than winning.

Now his way wasn't necessarily wrong but it drove me crazy.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
He seems to be such a pragmatist and I definitely embrace the KIS approach.

Yea he's a badass. I loved his quotes when he was hired about how he wanted to let AG be his self but also work within that to take advantage of his natural power by starting to pull the ball with power more. I also liked he mentioned that OBP leads to runs and runs leads to wins but that you aren't necessarily going to tell (for example) Jose Abreu to go up there looking to walk.

Hitting coaches are great when guys are hitting and awful when they aren't, but it's at least nice as a fan to hear a guy that has a solid philosphical base for scoring runs (don't make an out) while also being pragmatic. Viciedo is never going to take 100 walks a year, but if you can get him to realize he needs to stop chasing garbage away, not only will he take more walks, he'll hit more balls hard. It could be that finally healthy and with 800 odd PA in MLB behind him a lightbulb went off for Dayan (also gotta like Hahn's "progress isn't linear") but I think Stevenson helped him get to this point. Maybe he would have come to it on his on but I certainly dont' think Stevenson is hurting.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
Viciedo has 50% of the walks he had last year in 25.4% of the PAs.

It's remarkable. Like, his isoD is now high enough to even if he slides back to 270 average, he's still going to have a .330 OBP if he keeps up the patience.

Quite a few of his walks have seemingly led to big innings as well. Amazing what not making outs on pitcher's pitches will do to a lineup.

QUOTE (RoundingThird @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
Colorado was one of the four 60 million dollar bidders. Morneau's been unexpectedly good for them, but man, think about Abreu in the middle of that lineup.

And we already witnessed how he hits at Coors Field ;)

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 15, 2014 -> 09:25 PM)
Abreu vs Tanaka segment on ATH today. 2 of the 3 took Abreu.

Tony Reali ranted that no one has been giving Abreu enough attention all year whereas Puig got it last year.

I know people love to hate Puig but it bears repeating that his team ripped a 50 game stretch where they went like 43-7 or something. We are 20-22 in sleepy may.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
I know people love to hate Puig but it bears repeating that his team ripped a 50 game stretch where they went like 43-7 or something. We are 20-22 in sleepy may.

They had just a few more weapons than we do...

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 15, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
Abreu vs Tanaka segment on ATH today. 2 of the 3 took Abreu.

Tony Reali ranted that no one has been giving Abreu enough attention all year whereas Puig got it last year.

I see his point, but Puig plays in one of the ESPN big four (New York, Boston, Miami, LA). Of course he gets more attention.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 15, 2014 -> 07:22 PM)
Wait Miami is part of the big four?? Only in basketball and that is only because of James.

They do talk about the Dolphins too much as well. But yes, if LeBron were to leave, the Heat would rarely be mentioned.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 15, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
I see his point, but Puig plays in one of the ESPN big four (New York, Boston, Miami, LA). Of course he gets more attention.

ESPN loves Chicago when there is something to talk about, just not the White Sox