Chris Sale to start Thu May 22 vs Yankees

Feeky Magee

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the Keppinger (not that it matters) and Nate Jones injuries.

Then you add Sale now, Avisail, Beckham, Eaton (more of a day-to-day thing which they don't want to turn into 6-8 weeks), Paulino (fake injury?). Wouldn't b totally surprised if Downs goes to the DL as well if his poor pitching continues much longer.

YET ONE MORE REASON TO BE CAREFUL DRAFTING RODON...after that 134 pitch outing a week ago.

In the end, the White Sox are careful enough with their most important asset to know when sacrificing a couple of games in the standings is absolutely meaningless in the bigger picture.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
Last year, Gavin Floyd's initial MRI came back clean and diagnosed as a flexor strain. On the bright side, Hahn seems very optimistic about Sale.

As I said, MRI are not the definitive answers. The manual tests are generally more reliable in these cases. They'll know more when he tries to throw again.

Well, at least with Rodon, the NC State coaches are fighting for their jobs.

You can see their obvious self-interest/conflict of interest.

With Ventura, sure, the bullpen sucks (so far) and no reliable answers....Chris is a workhorse who knows his body and when he's feeling any pain or ouchy (he will tell Cooper/Schneider), he wants to get wins as much as anyone in the majors and to be that ace who throws shutouts...but if trying to get a win for Chris or being afraid to use the bullpen was the PRINCIPAL reason for Sale to be out there, it's dubious logic at best with your most important asset.

Asked to comment on Chris Sale missing a start, Nolan Ryan had this for Sox Manager Robin Ventura "I told you to limit his pitch count!"

pg2_texrangers13_576.jpg

BTW, this guy threw a lot of pitches, used a little Advil, and had a very long careeer . . .

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
I can't f***ing believe Robin let him go 127 in a meaningless game. f***ing firable offfense.
If Sale pitched 127 it was because he wanted to win the game. He probably told Robin and Coop that he felt fine. I am guessing that Sale did not want to give the ball to any other reliever because he doesn't trust them like all the rest of us who watch the Sox already know this from watching their games

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 06:05 AM)
How could anyone possibly question 127 pitches in week 3 of the season. it's as ridiculous as questioning running out of pitchers in the 14th inning.

Hire a professional manager, please, Rick/Kenny/Jerry.

I blame Robin for running out of pitchers, but he needs some help from Coop on pitching matters.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 07:19 AM)
If Sale pitched 127 it was because he wanted to win the game. He probably told Robin and Coop that he felt fine. I am guessing that Sale did not want to give the ball to any other reliever because he doesn't trust them like all the rest of us who watch the Sox already know this from watching their games

Yeah, these stud pitchers like Verlander and Sale and Peavy have pride and demand to stay in games.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 01:19 AM)

Sale and his response is only a part of it. They watch him as well. Look for signs of fatigue, if his arm slot changes,his stride shortens or if he is getting under the ball. They do many other objective things other than just listeningto him. The Sox have been very good with preventing overuse type injuries over the years.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:05 AM)
How could anyone possibly question 127 pitches in week 3 of the season. it's as ridiculous as questioning running out of pitchers in the 14th inning.

Hire a professional manager, please, Rick/Kenny/Jerry.

Easily. He's done if before and he'll do it again. This far into the season he should be fairly fresh. The first deadarm period should have past, if he gets one. Even for those who think pitch counts are the way to judge a pitcher's fatigue, 127 isn't that many. Now, could it have caused it, sure but there is know it ahead of time.

So true

But this pitch count thing, we’re in the American League," Cooper said. "We’re not in Little League. But nevertheless, people that bring up pitch counts are people who have nothing else to really know. And it just blows me away. They’re doing that to say, ‘God forbid if someone goes down, I told you so.’ And these are people that are not in the arena and never really played, so what kind of validity does any of that hold?

I'll take the more optimistic view here and hope that he comes back from his DL stint ready to go. If Sale is sore and needs to miss a start or two, so be it. But the team has to be smart about it regarding who pitches in his place. Sale going to the DL alows them to call up someone. Otherwise, one of the bullpen standouts (see the sarcasm there?) would have to be stretched out for a start.