Your 2015 Offseason Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)
First of all, welcome to modern day MLB. You're literally not moving on from high strikeout guys, they're all over the place. Secondly, he had a down year, with some major fielding issues and injury issues, both of which went to the plate with him. He's 27, at that age its entirely possible he could pull things together next year. Hell, he could probably be even better if he stays healthy and is put in the right setting.

He's not the greatest hitter in human history, but he shouldn't have a very high price, he would fill a need on our team, and he'd be less of a long term money commitment than most of the other DH options. He ought to at least be on the list.

If you can get him for Viciedo, fine I guess. Bad fielder, Ks a lot. These were both huge weaknesses with the Sox -so why seek out more bad defenders who K a lot?

Sox were 5th to last in strikeouts.

Webb was terrible in the pen; Guerra was good. I see a lot of keep Webb and waive Guerra scenarios.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
Morales put up a whopping .612 OPS last year. I can give excuses why both of them had a down year, but man, Morales was as punchless as Gordon Beckham. Maybe Alvarez's foot problems continue and Morales makes a comeback if he actually has a spring training, do your homework and a physical on both, but given an even choice? The guy who is 4 years younger and hit a helluva lot better would make more sense to me.

And no one is giving legit "Bullpen help" for Viciedo. Viciedo is a borderline non tender candidate. The reason why I'd think Alvarez might work for him is that Alvarez is on that same path and it'd be a "fresh start" setup for both guys.

The thought of replacing Dunn with Alvarez, let alone what you'd have to give up to get him, doesn't excite me. I've already made my case that I don't want another player like Dunn around. I also don't want a pure DH, I want whomever we bring over to be able to play positions and to ultimately end up seeing our outfielders and other players maybe get days off by DH'ing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
First of all, welcome to modern day MLB. You're literally not moving on from high strikeout guys, they're all over the place. Secondly, he had a down year, with some major fielding issues and injury issues, both of which went to the plate with him. He's 27, at that age its entirely possible he could pull things together next year. Hell, he could probably be even better if he stays healthy and is put in the right setting.

He's not the greatest hitter in human history, but he shouldn't have a very high price, he would fill a need on our team, and he'd be less of a long term money commitment than most of the other DH options. He ought to at least be on the list.

Just cause more guys do it, doesn't mean you have to accept it or think that it is valuable. I could also say, look at the teams in the playoffs (small sample size) but the teams who are having the most success do not strike out a lot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)

I have to agree with all this as well. Alvarez being 27, has power and a DH/1B makes him a fit for this team and closer to what Hahn is looking for as a potential core player. He's not ideal by any means but the FA market is short on #3/4/5 LH power hitters and the Sox are short on minor league talent to use as worthy trade bait so Alvarez makes plenty of sense.

I think you're right Balta, Viciedo for Alvarez has to be pretty damn close to fair for both teams.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
Just cause more guys do it, doesn't mean you have to accept it or think that it is valuable. I could also say, look at the teams in the playoffs (small sample size) but the teams who are having the most success do not strike out a lot.

I agree but that's merely one aspect though. Those same teams are playing great defense behind some great starting pitching.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)
Pirates DFA'd Tabata

I know. I mentioned in an earlier post that Pitt designated Tabata for assignment, which he accepted and is now apart of their AAA affiliate. Thing is that Tabata will still make 4M next year regardless and that likely makes him trade bait which is why his name was brought up in the first place. The idea was to throw his name into the mix to relieve Pitt of his salary in an effort to try and nab Snyder.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
I know. I mentioned in an earlier post that Pitt designated Tabata for assignment, which he accepted and is now apart of their AAA affiliate. Thing is that Tabata will still make 4M next year regardless and that likely makes him trade bait which is why his name was brought up in the first place. The idea was to throw his name into the mix to relieve Pitt of his salary in an effort to try and nab Snyder.

Ah. Missed that.

Well the purpose of this thread was to generate ideas for this off season, and I think it has worked so far. Having good, quality discussions on potential players.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
You know, if you are going to insult SoxPride and his ideas, the least thing you could do is come up with something better than this when asked to show off your own foolproof plan.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
+1

Thank you. My idea behind CarGo is that he's still young at 28. There's 3 years left on that deal with a good amount of money on it. I look back on it, and maybe it is an overpayment, but if the Rockies chipped in some money, you still know they are going to ask for those types of players, hell probably even Anderson.

He had one bad year last year, he hasn't had a year with an OPS under 850 before last year and his rookie year. Yes, he is injury prone, but that is the risk you take to get a quality left handed bat still in his prime.

Sorry Joshua that we don't agree, but CarGo is a fit for the White Sox. Especially if the Rockies chipped in money.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
Well the purpose of this thread was to generate ideas for this off season, and I think it has worked so far. Having good, quality discussions on potential players.

Thank you. My idea behind CarGo is that he's still young at 28. There's 3 years left on that deal with a good amount of money on it. I look back on it, and maybe it is an overpayment, but if the Rockies chipped in some money, you still know they are going to ask for those types of players, hell probably even Anderson.

He had one bad year last year, he hasn't had a year with an OPS under 850 before last year and his rookie year. Yes, he is injury prone, but that is the risk you take to get a quality left handed bat still in his prime.

Sorry Joshua that we don't agree, but CarGo is a fit for the White Sox. Especially if the Rockies chipped in money.

People are also worried about Cargo cause his home/road splits are pretty one sided.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 09:02 PM)
People are also worried about Cargo cause his home/road splits are pretty one sided.

Bingo. I wouldn't touch Cargo with that contract. Not when he has a career .258/.314/.437 away from Coors. And we are talking a 1385 AB sample size. That's really hard to ignore.

White Sox sign Chase Headley, 3 yrs 42 M

White Sox acquire Matt Joyce for Javy Guerra, Andre Wheeler

White Sox acquire Dom Brown for Dayan Viciedo and Chris Beck

White Sox sign Brandon Morrow, 1y 7 M, Andrew Miller 3 yrs / 22 M, Luke Hochevar 1 y 4 M w/ option, Andrew Bailey 1 y 3 M Chad Billingsley (minor league deal)

White Sox acquire Stephen Vogt for Carlos Sanchez

Lineup:

CF Eaton

3B Headley

RF Garcia

1B Abreu

DH Dom Brown

2B Semien

LF Matt Joyce

SS Alexei

C Flowers

C Vogt

IF Saladino / outside depth piece for ~1M (Ramon Santiago?)

IF Gillaspie

OF Moises

SP Chris Sale

SP Jose Quintana

SP John Danks

SP Hector Noesi

SP Brandon Morrow

RP A Miller

RP Hochevar

RP Putnam

RP Petricka

RP Bassitt

RP Bailey

RP Snodgress/Surkamp/Webb

Room to improve in rotation, Morrow will eventually be hurt, but is good when healthy. Rodon can arrive when the time comes. Danks moved if pitching well, if not, ???.

Lineup looks pretty good.

should add 45-50 mil or so, a possible contending team. Short contracts for pitchers affords some flexibility. Only positional FA is Matt Joyce, eminently replaceable.

not totally unrealistic.

Edited by daggins

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
You know, if you are going to insult SoxPride and his ideas, the least thing you could do is come up with something better than this when asked to show off your own foolproof plan.

Make Smart Decisions...

Meaning dont trade away prospects, especially for horrible contracts.

Acquire more ML ready prospects.

Sign pitching depth in both the bullpen and the rotation. (Especially guys that I can flip at the deadline for prospects a la the Cubs.)

Put everyone of value on the block to see what offers are out there.

Just make smart baseball and fiancial decisions.

And who replied with a +1, this isn't Reddit.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 08:12 PM)
Make Smart Decisions...

Meaning dont trade away prospects, especially for horrible contracts.

Acquire more ML ready prospects.

Sign pitching depth in both the bullpen and the rotation. (Especially guys that I can flip at the deadline for prospects a la the Cubs.)

Put everyone of value on the block to see what offers are out there.

Just make smart baseball and fiancial decisions.

And who replied with a +1, this isn't Reddit.

Give some ideas of players/trades that would fit your criteria.

1 Adam Eaton L CF

2 Carlos Sanchez S 2B

3 Jose Abreu R 1B

4 Jay Bruce L RF

5 Avisail Garcia R RF

6 Adam Lind L DH

7 Alexei Ramirez R SS

8 Conor Gillaspie L 3B

9 Tyler Flowers R C

BN Marcus Semien R UTIL

BN Leury Garcia S UTIL

BN Mike Morse R DH/1B/OF

BN Adrian Nieto S C

1 Chris Sale L

2 Jose Quintana L

3 Hector Noesi R

4 John Danks L

5 Daniel Corcino R

MR Brandon Morrow R

MR Jake Petricka R

MR Daniel Webb R

MR Scott Snodgress L

MR Josh Outman L

SU Francellis Montas R

CL Carlos Rodon L

Adam Lind 2 years $18.5m

Mike Morse 2 years $9.5m

Brandon Morrow 1 year $5.5m

Josh Outman 1 year $4.5m

Dayan Viciedo, Micah Johnson, Courtney Hawkins to Cincinnati Reds for Jay Bruce, Daniel Corcino.

---------------

-Lind and Morse platoon. When facing lefties Morse plays the field for Abreu or Avisail, who themselves slide into the DH spot.

-Coin flip really between Semien and Sanchez over who starts the season at 2nd, I picked Sanchez because defense. Whoever doesn't start at 2nd will sub the IF positions.

-Open tryouts for 5th starter (or 4th starter); if one fails a new comes up from the minors.

-Rookies with great stuff make good bullpen pitchers. When Rodon joins the rotation (which could be midseason...) Montas is ready to move straight to closer.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:24 AM)
Giving up Viciedo, who hits 20 HR a year, for Grandal (PLUS WEBB) is silly.

And watch me do this from a Padres fan's perspective....

-----

Giving up Grandal, who walks more than twice as much as Viciedo, for only Viciedo (PLUS WEBB) is silly.

-----

Put Grandal in US Cellular Field instead of Petco, and he may have hit 20 HR last season too. Viciedo was worth -0.7 wins last year, Grandal worth 1.1

I think Viciedo + Webb would be a pretty fair trade. You could even argue it favors the White Sox.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:14 AM)
Small chance of most of these happening but whatever.

Sign Headley (4/54), Thatcher (2/10), Hochever (1/3 with a performance based option), Chris B. Young (1/5) and Masterson (1/9). Invite Jesse Crain to camp.

Trade Montas, Sanchez and Hawkins for Belt. Trade Viciedo and Webb for Grandal.

CF Eaton

2B Semien

1B/LF/DH Belt

1B/DH Abreu

3B Headley

RF Garcia

DH/1B/LF Gillaspie/Young

C Flowers/Grandal

SS Ramirez

Rotation: Sale, Quintana, Masterson, Danks and Noesi

Bullpen: Hochevar, Webb, Putnam, Petricka, Guerra/Crain, Thatcher, Surkamp

No on the trade for Belt.. Would rather keep Montas

I have pointed this out before and will point it out again. LF is likely to open up with Morse going to FA, so Belt will be playing LF should Morse sign elsewhere which is very possible. Unless the Sox are willing to over pay big time, Belt will be playing ball for the Giants year. Belt, as much as I like the idea, is a pipe dream. Simple as that.