Your 2015 Offseason Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
who are cletus and alvarez?

are we seriously considering Rondon and a former speed skater to be in the plans any time before 2017/18?

that would be a mistake....Anderson's going to get there first, anyway

i'm also not sure that semien or sanchez should be counting on anything coming into next spring training...the White Sox better have a more appealing option for LF than Semien IMO, at least if they want to encourage the casual fans they're serious about competing

Sorry, I meant Cleto. If he can harness his control, he has a chance to help in the pen.

The reason I mentioned both Rondon and Alvarez is because they are part of the organization's middle infield depth.

Edited by Lillian

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, for this group of players packaged any way you would like to package, what do you think possible return(s) would be:

Conor Gillaspie

Dayan Viciedo

Carlos Sanchez

Micah Johnson

Chris Bassitt

Tyler Danish

Chris Beck

Francellis Montas

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
Just out of curiosity, for this group of players packaged any way you would like to package, what do you think possible return(s) would be:

Conor Gillaspie

Dayan Viciedo >>>> comp draft pick

Carlos Sanchez >>>>> No

Micah Johnson >>> No

Chris Bassitt >>>> NO / pkg with

Tyler Danish >>>> No / pkg with

Chris Beck >>>>>> Pkg with

Francellis Montas >>> Never

interesting, but I will do this for fun and have no real intentions on some

of the players you mention. with my "pkg with" is I will add to a pkg of prospect

to help get a bigger rtn or a final piece that the club need.

I saw someone kick around the idea of Oscar Taveras which could make sense for the Cards to move him with Holliday locked up in left, Jay coming off a good year likely to be penciled into center along with Bourjos as the 4th OF, and then one of Grichuk, Piscotty, Taveras to play right. Taveras would make a whole lot of sense to this team as he is young enough to be added to the long-term core and he is a left-handed bat. Cards also have: Jay, Adams, Carpenter, Wong hitting from the left side so maybe they would be more willing to move the lefty outfielder to play a right handed one as that would give them balance of 4 lefties/right and then the pitcher spot. The only problem is, with the Cards being a good organization top to bottom and having young infielders, outfielders and pitchers, I don't really know what a good deal would be for him.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
The Sox do not have a single player of importance, who is near the end of his prime.

Unless they sign Martinez, or make some other significant acquisition, they will likely not be ready to compete in 2015.

For the following reasons, perhaps 2016 should be the targeted year to make a run:

1) There are several important pieces that have yet to prove whether they can be

counted upon to be significant contributors. I’d be willing to wait a year to find out what they have in Rodon, A. Garcia, Bassitt, Montas, Cleto and at least two of the following group:

Semien, Sanchez, Saladino and Michah Johnson. I’d also still like a better look at Wilkins. I was disappointed that the front office couldn’t move Dunn any sooner, so that Wilkins

could have had more than 43 at bats, which hardly is sufficient to determine anything.

2) They are drafting high again this June, and could conceivably acquire another piece, who could contribute in 2016

3) This years free agent crop does not look all that enticing.

4) Next years free agents (assuming they don’t get extended) include names like Jason Heyward,

Justin Upton, Chris Davis, Alex Gordon, and Cespedes.

Those names would be better fits than Victor Martinez, going forward, for a young team that wants to contend for a few years.

Therefore, I would Trade Alexei, perhaps for a LH power hitting prospect, who is near ready.

At 33, and with his contract, he could be a key to a couple of contenders in 2015.

Which teams would have the greatest interest, and do any of them have a near ready LH power bat, who can play a position that fits the Sox (OF, DH, C, 3B)?

Trading Alexei makes sense, if the Sox won’t be ready til ‘16. He would likely be slowing down enough by then, that his defense may no longer be elite.

The organization has all of those middle infielders, at least a couple of whom should be ready to take over by '16, and who would benefit by one years experience, at

the Major League level. Trading Alexei would help provide an opportunity to sort out the log jam in the infield. Saladino, Anderson and eventually Rondon could all become Major League Short Stops.

If the Sox can build a solid offense, they may be able to settle for little, to no offensive production at SS, in order to put the best defense on the field. Rondon is the candidate for that scenario.

There are several candidates for 2B including Sanchez, Semien, Johnson and Alvarez.

If the Sox acquire V. Martinez, then Alexei could anchor the middle infield defense, for a Post Season run next season.

However, if they decide to wait one more year, doesn't a trade of Ramirez make sense?

The only issue with not participating in this years top free agents is the Sox can take advantage of a protected first round pick. If, they continue to improve, this may be the last time for a while. If there is a long term target that makes sense, now is the time to jump in.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
MLBtraderumors.com mentioned that Toronto has been getting calls for Adam Lind. Mentioned the Sox for one team that could be interested. Thoughts?

From a baseball side only, it makes sense. Wouldn't pay a huge price for him but he's got 2 years under team control with options and fills the need of a LH hitting bat in the middle of the order. Plus, Toronto has a lot of money on the books this year and so might be willing to move him to clear some out.

The downsides are, inconsistency, only played part of the year last year, was a below average bat from age 26-28.

Open to consideration but would be hesitant to trade high ceiling guys at lower levels for him. Would not move a guy like Montas for him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
MLBtraderumors.com mentioned that Toronto has been getting calls for Adam Lind. Mentioned the Sox for one team that could be interested. Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind Adam Lind as long as he could stay healthy. 2/15.5 left on his deal. 2016 would be an option year. I certainly think he's worth that, but I wouldn't be willing to give up a lot to get him. I think the Blue Jays are looking to cut payroll to hopefully sign Melky and would take anything they can get for Lind and if they don't get anything they will just decline his option and let him walk.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
I'd give up somethin like Sanchez or Viciedo and 1 of the 2 and few mid tier guys for Lind.

He's always been able to hit RHP at a decent to well above average clip, even in his down years (Worst year was 2010 where he still had a .829 ops vs RHP.).

If Torotno is looking to move salary they'd be unlikely to want Viciedo back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
If Torotno is looking to move salary they'd be unlikely to want Viciedo back.

Yep that's the problem...as much as I like that idea it doesnt make sense if that's the route they're going

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
How would people feel about Justin Upton or Jason Heyward, especially if both were to sign an extension?

Not that enthusiastic about Upton, but I would love to have Heyward in RF

MLBtraderumors also suggested this idea in order to keep Gattis and put him in the OF with Betancourt catching. Since, both Upton and Heyward are in the last year of their contracts and still young, they could be hot commodities on the trade market.

I think Heyward makes the most sense because he's a left handed bat that plays excellent defense, and whose power numbers can climb in the Cell.

But, I think Upton would have an absolute field day at the Cell. Put him behind Abreu and that is a scary, young, and in the prime of their careers 3-4 combination. Of course, if either were to happen, I would want an extension. I think I would offer both 5 years around 80 million.

If I were to guess which of Upton/ Heyward Atlanta would trade, it would be Heyward. Upton is still under contract through the 2017 season. Heyward is a free agent after 2015 plus I think the Atlanta still has a sour taste from last winters negotiations when they tried to get Heyward signed long term and ended up settling for two years which was his last two years of arbitration. Just a guess on my part.

I'm curious what Heyward's value is considering he going into his last year under contract, a down 2014 season and seemingly reluctant to sign long term to get paid on the FA market after 2015.

I think other teams have more to offer Atlanta so it really does not matter, tho its fun to dream about.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
If I were to guess which of Upton/ Heyward Atlanta would trade, it would be Heyward. Upton is still under contract through the 2017 season. Heyward is a free agent after 2015 plus I think the Atlanta still has a sour taste from last winters negotiations when they tried to get Heyward signed long term and ended up settling for two years which was his last two years of arbitration. Just a guess on my part.

I'm curious what Heyward's value is considering he going into his last year under contract, a down 2014 season and seemingly reluctant to sign long term to get paid on the FA market after 2015.

I think other teams have more to offer Atlanta so it really does not matter, tho its fun to dream about.

Most will probably depend on what new Braves' President John Hart wants to do....

I'm not sure why nobody wants Justin Upton, unless the fear is that he won't sign an extension. He put up a 3.9 WAR last season, which is far above the $14.5M he earned last season. You can pretty much count on .270+ with 25 HR, and OBP around .350, is a very good baserunner, and can even swipe 10-15 bags if asked. He is a below average defender, but coming to US Cellular would help.

I'd be all on board for Upton, at least over Heyward, considering how much cheaper you'd figure Upton to come in a trade. And if you can't work out an extension by the trade deadline, then flip him somewhere for a couple prospects back, or offer him a QO he is likely to earn that will net a comp A round pick if he doesn't sign the QO.

I'd trade Montas and Sanchez for him.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)

Both players are FA after 2015 season. I think the Braves would try harder to resign Heyward than Upton, given how great Heyward appears to be defensively, and he's younger.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
Heyward worth over 5 WAR.

Almost all driven by defense. I personally do not think a corner outfielder can derive that much value from defense. With the bat he was essentially Adam Eaton. Given the value of what you would have to give up and pay in an extension, I don't see it being a possibility, nor do I think it would be worth it.

QUOTE (shakes @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
Almost all driven by defense. I personally do not think a corner outfielder can derive that much value from defense. With the bat he was essentially Adam Eaton. Given the value of what you would have to give up and pay in an extension, I don't see it being a possibility, nor do I think it would be worth it.

I don't know, it mentions his range as the biggest factor and if you've ever seen Heyward in the outfield - through highlights, other video, or in person - that range is legitimately game changing. He has great instincts, runs good routes to balls, and has good speed. His arm isn't anything to scoff at either. I don't think that's really an overestimate, especially when the guy has been a plus-plus fielder for 3 years in a row.

Heyward has really cut his strikeouts too, and he's only going to be 26 next season. I'd give up a small ransom if the Sox traded him. Bring in another outfielder with good range and then play Avisail sparingly out there and the outfield defense is improved an incredible amount.