Moises Sierra claimed by Royals

southsider2k5

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 12:32 AM)
Obviously Danks is only working with really small sample sizes, but while he was in our minor leagues, he annually was considered our best defensive OFer. The dude has crazy range and instincts in CF.

How's his arm? The only way he justifies his presence on a roster is through defense, and even you said he can't play RF or LF very well. You don't need a CF-only backup.

Heretofore, he hasn't come close to hitting enough to justify whatever defense he has.

Danks is 28

Mitchell, 26, absolutely would be claimed, especially after the year he had.

Thompson is 23 - the idea that he's finished and should be discarded and no one would claim him is silly.

This move tells me that the Sox don't want Sierra as 4th outfielder. Fine with me.

But I hope it doesn't mean that they do want Jordan Danks as 4th outfielder. I long for the day when the Sox move beyond putting a horrendous offensive player like Danks or Wise or L Garcia (another one who doesn't hit enough to justify his defense) on the roster.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
I know; neither do Mitchell or Thompson. Hence my question. Why would they prefer losing Sierra to either Thompson or Mitchell? He's obviously a better hitter, probably a better fielder; is it Sierra's histrionics on the bench? I don't think the Royals would have claimed Thompson or Mitchell. Still don't get it.

I'm pretty sure Mitchell has one option remaining and Thompson has 2. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
While Sierra is such a small piece that we probably shouldn't draw any conclusions from letting him go, I can't help but think this means we plan on adding two starting-caliber OFs this offseason and going with a rotating DH. In that event, having a strong defensive-minded 5th OF that can play all three positions makes a lot of sense. I see the role being late-inning defensive replacement, pinch runner, occasional pinch hitter, and Adam Eaton fill-in when he inevitably gets hurt. Sierra simply doesn't fill that role as well Danks does.

Why would we add two starting caliber OFs? With Eaton and Garcia penciled in, we could add one in left... but then we have DV and Danks and your other guy you wanted to add on the bench. Shouldn't we only keep 4 OFs on the MLB roster? Or did you plan on trading Viciedo?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 26, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
Why would we add two starting caliber OFs? With Eaton and Garcia penciled in, we could add one in left... but then we have DV and Danks and your other guy you wanted to add on the bench. Shouldn't we only keep 4 OFs on the MLB roster? Or did you plan on trading Viciedo?

You missed my point on using a rotating DH. I'm suggesting having four starting-caliber OFs on the roster, one of whom would DH on any given day.

Quite frankly, I don't want Viciedo on this team next year unless we miss out on all other OF/DH targets. I was probably his biggest fan coming into this past season, but it's time for us to move on, even though I think doing so has some chance of burning down the road.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 26, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
You missed my point on using a rotating DH. I'm suggesting having four starting-caliber OFs on the roster, one of whom would DH on any given day.

Quite frankly, I don't want Viciedo on this team next year unless we miss out on all other OF/DH targets. I was probably his biggest fan coming into this past season, but it's time for us to move on, even though I think doing so has some chance of burning down the road.

Unfortunately that's not how the world works. They have to make a decision on Viciedo by the start of December, and it'll be weeks after that before they know whether they'd have missed out on other targets.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Unfortunately that's not how the world works. They have to make a decision on Viciedo by the start of December, and it'll be weeks after that before they know whether they'd have missed out on other targets.

You're acting like they can't move Viciedo if they tender him a contract which remains to be seen. Either way, I'm certain Hahn will gauge Viciedo's trade value before deciding to tender him or not. Obviously they won't use him as a backup plan if they feel he will be impossible to move.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 26, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
You're acting like they can't move Viciedo if they tender him a contract which remains to be seen. Either way, I'm certain Hahn will gauge Viciedo's trade value before deciding to tender him or not. Obviously they won't use him as a backup plan if they feel he will be impossible to move.

I guess I just have no confidence in them "not" being stuck with a guy who they might have thought about moving when we already saw them get caught stuck with several guys last year (De Aza, Beckham, even Viciedo) who wound up pretty much unmovable after they got arbitration offers until most of the season was over.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 26, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)

If he sucks that bad, why would someone else want him at 5ish million a year?

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 26, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
Hawk probably crying. Moises was somewhat of a dumb player. Sox have had enough of those. Need to start fresh with heads up players... goodbye moises. Goodbye tank too if possible

Yeah, he pulled some really head scratchers when he first got here. I don't remember as many as the season went by, but he also didn't play much either.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
Surprised the Royals picked him up. I guess they figure he replaces Aoki cheaply. No big loss. Sierra is just another guy.

LF Gordon

CF Dyson

RF Cain

Maybe he's their 4th outfielder, but he won't be getting regular playing time.

They can easily afford to use the money from Shields/Butler/Aoki to replace him.

• 1 month later...

I honestly hope they bring him back. He really would be a nice guy to have on the bench.

Frankly, now that Cabrera is in the fold, I'd rather go with someone like Sierra on the bench over Viciedo. I don't mind the idea of Viciedo, but Sierra makes a lot more sense as a bench player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
@Royals To make room for Kendrys Morales on the 40-man roster, the #Royals have DFA'd OF Moises Sierra.

Pick him up!!!

Designate Shuck. I love what he brings to the clubhouse.

Plus, he's the only one that made Conor smile!