Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 02:29 AM)
They traded Eaton to make room for Pollock to man CF for the future. They are not moving him.

And then they acquired Cody Ross, and Yasmany Tomas, and then Inciarte and Peralta came up and played well. Eaton was also once a plan for their future too. Not saying that Pollock is available, but the Dbacks in the past (new GM, and LaRussa, so maybe this changes) have been quick to change directions on players. It's worth Hahn looking in to.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
Can someone explain to me why I keep seeing Michael Saunders name all over this board? Why do people want him so bad? He looks like a worse version of De Aza, whom we all hated.

Maybe you can explain why you think he's worse so people who like Saunders can make some counterpoints. Feel free to use the internet to look things up.

If I thought Pollock was available like Seattle has said Saunders is available I would prefer Pollock. A name like Pollock is just too perfect for the Chicago area.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Can someone explain to me why I keep seeing Michael Saunders name all over this board? Why do people want him so bad? He looks like a worse version of De Aza, whom we all hated.

In 2014, Saunders was a more valuable player than De Aza despite half the plate appearances.

Saunders is also likely to take less to acquire than other players of similar value, due to Seattle wanting to shed lefties from their lineup and Saunders in particular being out of favor.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Here's a relevant article that both argues that Markakis is way overrated at hs current asking price AND happens to mention that he's similar to De Aza in likely overall production: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-are-we...-nick-markakis/

nice reading.

the problem i have is what are his salary demands. but to compare him

offensively to DeAza is a little too much, and i like DeAza.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
Here's a relevant article that both argues that Markakis is way overrated at hs current asking price AND happens to mention that he's similar to De Aza in likely overall production: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-are-we...-nick-markakis/

Markakis to the Braves. Thank goodness.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/brav...k-markakis.html

And Saunders going to the Blue Jays. We could have had either of those guys if they were our target. I assume this means Hahn is aiming higher. Melky seems more likely to me now. Or Kemp/Ethier.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
Has there been any reason to believe there's at least a dialogue going with Cabrera?

I know, I know...someone's going to say Rick Hahn always prefers to fly under the radar, in comparison to KW's style.

Last I remember they were thinking about making a run at him and Heyman mentioned us in his article today when talking about Cabrera.

The only way to fit our remaining three needs into a $15 million dollar shoe....well, it can't be done without a trade.

And it's probably going to mean Rasmus/Aoki and Romo instead of putting all their eggs in the Melky Cabrera basket.

Or the likes of Masterson or Brett Anderson.

Just happy that Tomas and Markakis and Hunter are no longer options. The problem, though, is that the remaining available money is all chasing after fewer and fewer players. Of course, in the case of Drew and Kendrys Morales, that QO/draft pick compensation worked against them, but I'll believe it when I see it in terms of remaining FA's signing for "rock bottom" or pennies on the dollar prices.

I don think anyone will give melky five years. Yes, markakis is a year older but has been a steady, good player his whole career and Cruz , well the Mariners were the only team to offer 4 years but were desperate for his power. Just don't see it. It's one thing what he wants and what he gets(like Erving Santana as well)

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 07:51 PM)
JMO: the White Sox unwillingly declared that Viciedo is their starting corner OF when they offered him arbitration.

I think you're way off-base here. Someone will take Viciedo off our hands for an insignificant prospect, because right-handed power is at a huge premium right now. I get he's been horrible for us the past couple years, but he's still young and has some very attractive tools. Right or wrong, it's really not that crazy to think another organization believes there is some chance they can fix him and turn him into an above-average hitter.

In the meantime, he serves as OF depth until we acquire something better. Hahn isn't stupid, he wouldn't tender Viciedo a contact if he was unmovable. He's obviously talked to other GMs and determined there is some market for his services. I'm fairly certain that Hahn doesn't want Dayan as a starting OF unless all other plans fail to work out. IMO, the odds of Viciedo being on Opening Day roster are incredibly low.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:03 PM)
I don think anyone will give melky five years. Yes, markakis is a year older but has been a steady, good player his whole career and Cruz , well the Mariners were the only team to offer 4 years but were desperate for his power. Just don't see it. It's one thing what he wants and what he gets(like Erving Santana as well)

I agree, I think his PEDs past will limit his market to 4 years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:14 PM)
I think you're way off-base here. Someone will take Viciedo off our hands for an insignificant prospect, because right-handed power is at a huge premium right now. I get he's been horrible for us the past couple years, but he's still young and has some very attractive tools. Right or wrong, it's really not that crazy to think another organization believes there is some chance they can fix him and turn him into an above-average hitter.

In the meantime, he serves as OF depth until we acquire something better. Hahn isn't stupid, he wouldn't tender Viciedo a contact if he was unmovable. He's obviously talked to other GMs and determined there is some market for his services. I'm fairly certain that Hahn doesn't want Dayan as a starting OF unless all other plans fail to work out. IMO, the odds of Viciedo being on Opening Day roster are incredibly low.

Although one could have easily guessed that DeAza and Beckham wouldn't be leveraged into much of anything.

Where he got hurt was all those bullpen "lottery tickets," like Belisario and Downs, Paulino and Keppinger becoming write-offs, coupled with the fact that Gavin Floyd and Crain imploded and couldn't be traded for anything of value.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:14 PM)

If Viciedo was going to be moved it should have happened by now. They did exactly the same thing with De Aza last year, people kept saying "Oh they'll trade him in January, oh they'll trade him in ST, he's a solid player and he doesn't fit where we are, oh they'll trade him at the end of ST" and then wham.

No one wants a $4 million trash bill except us for some reason.