Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 09:46 PM)
From what I understand it was more pouting vs being competitive. Who knows, though. I haven't run into many knowledgeable Dodgers fans, quite frankly.

I'm also not sure the Sox are a team looking to take on a 8 year/ $160M contract that is going into only it's second year. Dodgers would have to send some serious money the Sox way for it to really make any sense, IMO.

He's actually going into his 4th year. Deal runs from 12-19. Sox would have him for his age 30-34 seasons. Really not bad.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just really can't believe how much advocacy there is for Ethier /Kemp. Sox fans, two years removed from celebrating the removal of bloated veteran contracts are falling over themselves to add on bloated veteran contracts for actual valuable veteran contracts.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
I just really can't believe how much advocacy there is for Ethier /Kemp. Sox fans, two years removed from celebrating the removal of bloated veteran contracts are falling over themselves to add on bloated veteran contracts for actual valuable veteran contracts.

In all fairness, a healthy Matt Kemp is much better than Rios, Dunn etc and at an age to where ( when healthy) should be hit well for the remainder of his contract. Then there's the idea of a healthy Kemp hitting at the Cell and a 3,4,5 comprised of Abreu, LaRoche, Kemp. A trade for Kemp also means there's a possibility of trading Danks away which would help offset Kemp's salary for the next two years. I can see why fans, including myself, are open to the idea.

I like the idea to be honest but I still prefer a LF that's left handed with pop and is comes with a lighter salary so the Sox have more money to spread around.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
Yeah, I'm only interested in Kemp if the Dodgers take Danks and throw in a small chunk of change.

Yup. If Danks is not in the deal, Kemp's salary would chew up the remainder of what the Sox have left to spend, unless the Dodger kicked back BIG money.

The rumored deal centers around Alexei for Kemp. If that is the case, the difference between Kemp and Alexei is $11Million this coming season, and $11.5 million,

the following year. In the third year, with Alexei's contract expiring, the difference is, of course, the full Kemp salary.

However, Kemp is young enough to justify the $21.5 million per year for the final 3 years of the contract, during his age 32, 33 and 34 seasons.

If L. A. were to take Danks' salary commitment for the duration of his contract, which is 2 years at $14.25 Million per year, they would actually be paying out

more during the next 2 years with Alexei and Danks, then they would with Kemp. If they needed, or even wanted Danks, that might be acceptable to them.

However, the Dodgers do not need or want him, and part of their motive in moving Kemp is to reduce payroll. Therefore, a trade of Alexei and Danks for Kemp,

is not realistic, much less the notion that the Dodgers would also have to kick in some money.

If the Sox could count on one of their inexpensive, young middle infielders to fill the void at SS, until Anderson or Rondon arrive, I would embrace having Kemp, to combine

with Abreu, to form 2/3 of the heart of the Sox lineup, for the next 5 years.

If the Sox could get the Dodgers to add a promising young player, that would make the proposed deal very compelling. I had originally suggested Scott Schebler.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
Yup. If Danks is not in the deal, Kemp's salary would chew up the remainder of what the Sox have left to spend, unless the Dodger kicked back BIG money.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
If they kick in "big money" in a potential deal it like means Danks plus actual young value too.

Not sure what happened when you quoted my post but I was talking about if Danks was not included.

I get what you're saying though. Without Danks and with big money Kemp would cost the Sox prospects, not that the Dodgers need them.

What could be possible is a trade built around Alexei and Kemp. I have no idea how much money or what prospects might be involved but that's a possibility too.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
The rumored deal centers around Alexei for Kemp. If that is the case, the difference between Kemp and Alexei is $11Million this coming season, and $11.5 million,

the following year. In the third year, with Alexei's contract expiring, the difference is, of course, the full Kemp salary.

However, Kemp is young enough to justify the $21.5 million per year for the final 3 years of the contract, during his age 32, 33 and 34 seasons.

If L. A. were to take Danks' salary commitment for the duration of his contract, which is 2 years at $14.25 Million per year, they would actually be paying out

more during the next 2 years with Alexei and Danks, then they would with Kemp. If they needed, or even wanted Danks, that might be acceptable to them.

However, the Dodgers do not need or want him, and part of their motive in moving Kemp is to reduce payroll. Therefore, a trade of Alexei and Danks for Kemp,

is not realistic, much less the notion that the Dodgers would also have to kick in some money.

If the Sox could count on one of their inexpensive, young middle infielders to fill the void at SS, until Anderson or Rondon arrive, I would embrace having Kemp, to combine

with Abreu, to form 2/3 of the heart of the Sox lineup, for the next 5 years.

If the Sox could get the Dodgers to add a promising young player, that would make the proposed deal very compelling. I had originally suggested Scott Schebler.

Oh wow, I just posted about Alexei for Kemp.

That rumor makes more sense from the Dodgers perspective as they are supposedly trying to get payroll to or below 190M.

Any rumors to money involved?

I like the idea of Schebler too.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
Is this an actual published rumor or just speculation?

Anyway I'd prefer Van Slyke and an extra prospect than a big contractual and perhaps personality liability.

Van Slyke would be a heck of a platoon partner with LaRoche. Last year Van Slyke tore up left handers something fierce but was rather blah against right handers.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Van Slyke would be a heck of a platoon partner with LaRoche. Last year Van Slyke tore up left handers something fierce but was rather blah against right handers.

Yeah I'd personally rather see Van Slyke as a throw-in kind guy but I don't think that would happen. If Dodgers deal Kemp, they still have a good OF:

LF: Crawford/Van Slyke

CF: Pederson

RF: Puig

Also, I think they will try to use Guerrero in the outfield and they also have Ethier still so they would still have depth

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
Yeah I'd personally rather see Van Slyke as a throw-in kind guy but I don't think that would happen. If Dodgers deal Kemp, they still have a good OF:

LF: Crawford/Van Slyke

CF: Pederson

RF: Puig

Also, I think they will try to use Guerrero in the outfield and they also have Ethier still so they would still have depth

I would love to get both Van Slyke and Schebler somehow but I seriously doubt the Dodgers part with both since they are looking to deal at least one of Crawford, Ethier, Kemp. Maybe the Dodgers find another team(s) to deal one or more of those guys to?

I admit that I'm tantalized by the idea of Kemp hitting in the cell with Abreu and LaRoche but would prefer more cost effective alternatives so money can be spend elsewhere to fill other holes and form a more complete team.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 3m3 minutes ago

White Sox likely to finalize Adam LaRoche deal Monday. Stockpiling SS depth, with AAA regular Juan Diaz the latest. Alexei Ramirez in play.

I had seen somewhere else too that Laroche was supposed to take his physical on monday when he signs. means a move of some sort has to be done in the next 24 hours to clear a roster spot. still would prefer the sox dealt ramirez to get pitching.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

Woa!!! Calm down fellas. I'm not breaking any news here. That was the original rumor that we all had discussed. What seems likely are the following factors:

1) The Dodgers are "aggressively pursuing Alexei". That has been widely reported.

2) They want to move at least one veteran outfielder, and Kemp's name has been mentioned prominently.

3) They also want to reduce payroll.

There doesn't seem to be much disputing those points, but it's not news.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
I had seen somewhere else too that Laroche was supposed to take his physical on monday when he signs. means a move of some sort has to be done in the next 24 hours to clear a roster spot.

Good point. Can't help but think a trade is announced in the next 30 hours or so.

This move of acquiring Juan Diaz only increases the likelihood that there is something brewing with a Ramirez trade.

The Sox have plenty of middle infielders, so this doesn't seem like an organizational roster fill in kind of move.

The only thing that I can find about his defensive ability is that he has a strong arm, which is not surprising for a 6'4" SS.

He could be the answer to the question; "Who fills the stop gap SS role until Tim Anderson is ready?"

To reiterate; If he can play defense, and Kemp would be coming to the Sox in a trade centered around Alexei, I'd be thrilled.

He wouldn't have to hit much with that lineup. Remember, this speculated move would not require the loss of a Draft pick.

Moreover, if Diaz were to be the SS, his salary is inconsequential.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
This move of acquiring Juan Diaz only increases the likelihood that there is something brewing with a Ramirez trade.

The Sox have plenty of middle infielders, so this doesn't seem like an organizational roster fill in kind of move.

The only thing that I can find about his defensive ability is that he has a strong arm, which is not surprising for a 6'4" SS.

He could be the answer to the question; "Who fills the stop gap SS role until Tim Anderson is ready?"

To reiterate; If he can play defense, and Kemp would be coming to the Sox in a trade centered around Alexei, I'd be thrilled.

He wouldn't have to hit much with that lineup. Remember, this speculated move would not require the loss of a Draft pick.

Juan Diaz could also be "guy who holds the AAA shortstop position until Saladino is healthy enough to return"

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)

I'm not sure why you're completely ignoring Semien, Sanchez, & Saladino. All three guys would get a crack at the SS job before Juan Diaz. Whether the Sox are trading Alexei or not, adding Diaz is purely a depth move for AAA. He will not be our everyday SS, it's almost as outlandish as thinking Rondon would be given the SS over three prospects that are major league ready.