2015 TV Thread

LDF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True Detective was great. Colin Farrell plays f***ed up so well. And though I just think of him as a comedic actor, Vaughn seems like he can pull this off. He could play ruthless well.

Ballers was entertaining. Seems like a sports version of Entourage.

The Brink was hilarious. I have high hopes.

I must be attracted to damaged women cuz Rachel McAdams has never been hotter to me.

I liked that the premiere was more fast paced than episodes last season.mlots of scenes dragged despite being good.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
The Last Ship is back tonight....nice.

Not sure how new this news is but Shane from the Walking Dead is going to show up in the Nexflix Daredevil series as Frank Castle aka the Punisher.

Was thoroughly entertained with Last Ship (as always...which is a good thing). Curious where they go next though and how it plays out.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 10:41 PM)
Anyone watch Ballers? I enjoyed it.

I thought it was fair. I'll give it another shot though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2015 -> 11:20 PM)
True Detective was amazing tonight.

It was alright. Kinda slow start. I love Rachel McAdams though.

True Detective was kinda boring and just an onslaught of characters, so far it seems like they felt like they couldn't create a replacement for McConaughey so they decided to just create a bunch of characters with flaws to make up for it. I'm still intrigued but disappointed with the start, hopefully the plot starts to move forward and is more intriguing.

Ballers was ok, kinda expected more humor/tits and ass. I'll keep it going as a quasi replacement for Silicon Valley for my mindless entertainment before going to sleep Sunday nights.

The Brink was actually better than what I expected, a lot funnier than I thought it would be.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
True Detective was kinda boring and just an onslaught of characters, so far it seems like they felt like they couldn't create a replacement for McConaughey so they decided to just create a bunch of characters with flaws to make up for it. I'm still intrigued but disappointed with the start, hopefully the plot starts to move forward and is more intriguing.

I didn't care for the first episode at all. I loved the first half of the first season of True Detective but didn't care for the second half so the premier put me on the fence for continuing to watch the show but since there is nothing on in the summers anyways I'll stick with it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)

Ballers was ok, kinda expected more humor/tits and ass. I'll keep it going as a quasi replacement for Silicon Valley for my mindless entertainment before going to sleep Sunday nights.

The Brink was actually better than what I expected, a lot funnier than I thought it would be.

I don't get why people are so disappointed with the first episode. I liked it a lot because it took it's time introduring us to each of the 4 leads. That connection that we forged with them in episode 1 will pay off as the season goes on, I can say that now that the characters are introduced that the story is start picking up gradually. Remember the first season, things didn't take off till the fourth episode.

I disagree with the 'compensating for McCounaghey' comment, you have to erase the first season from your head as this is an anthology series. And these 4 have nothing in common with Rust besides their love of whiskeys and profession (I've had Johnnie Walker Blue before, it's fantastic. Also love Jameson).

I hated the Brink.

Everyone here should check out, Deadwood if you haven't. And the Red Road, which is f***ing phenomenal.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:23 PM)
I don't get why people are so disappointed with the first episode. I liked it a lot because it took it's time introduring us to each of the 4 leads. That connection that we forged with them in episode 1 will pay off as the season goes on, I can say that now that the characters are introduced that the story is start picking up gradually. Remember the first season, things didn't take off till the fourth episode.

I disagree with the 'compensating for McCounaghey' comment, you have to erase the first season from your head as this is an anthology series. And these 4 have nothing in common with Rust besides their love of whiskeys and profession (I've had Johnnie Walker Blue before, it's fantastic. Also love Jameson).

I hated the Brink.

Everyone here should check out, Deadwood if you haven't. And the Red Road, which is f***ing phenomenal.

I liked how the first episode was structured. Meet individuals and they are brought together at the end. Seems like a simple first episode. Colin Farrell owned it.

I was surprised how much I liked the brink. Especially the hot middle eastern sister.

But seriously, I enjoyed it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
Admit it....you will watch a Lifetime Movie starring Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig.

I've read where Ferrell is just terrible in that...where you can't tell if he's playing it as a joke or he's so bad trying to be somewhat serious that it comes off completely disjointed compared to Wiig's typical solid performance in that type of role.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 06:51 AM)
I've read where Ferrell is just terrible in that...where you can't tell if he's playing it as a joke or he's so bad trying to be somewhat serious that it comes off completely disjointed compared to Wiig's typical solid performance in that type of role.

It's a Lifetime movie. They're all bad. The pregnant girl was crazy hot but it was very dull and slow.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 06:55 AM)
Is Treme worth watching?

One of the more boring HBO shows I tried to watch. I know others that liked it though.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 11:23 PM)

I hated the Brink.

I went in knowing it was a brand new show and that I shouldn't expect the same characters/plot, that was just the impression I got when watching. Let's come up with a bunch of characters all with unique flaws and throw them together to solve a case, it just doesn't seem as creative and interesting as the last season. I'm not comparing characters per se, more just comparing how they were introduced and built up (which I much preferred in season 1).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
I went in knowing it was a brand new show and that I shouldn't expect the same characters/plot, that was just the impression I got when watching. Let's come up with a bunch of characters all with unique flaws and throw them together to solve a case, it just doesn't seem as creative and interesting as the last season. I'm not comparing characters per se, more just comparing how they were introduced and built up (which I much preferred in season 1).

"Let's come up with a bunch of characters all with unique flaws and throw them together to slove a case." That can be said for the first season, and is that not the basic concept of the show?

Lets wait to watch the entire season before we judge it.

It looks like they're going to channel Lynch this year. The Cadillac passing the Mulholland Drive sign and the jazz notes weren't coincidence. I like the idea of a nonlinear story without context until after the narrative. If anything, it's different.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
"Let's come up with a bunch of characters all with unique flaws and throw them together to slove a case." That can be said for the first season, and is that not the basic concept of the show?

Lets wait to watch the entire season before we judge it.

They had 2 main characters in the first season, it's easy to build around that and build backstories for them. They have what, 5 main characters in this one? The 3 detectives and cop plus Vaughn's bad guy. That's a whole lot of cramming together backstory in one episode and to me fealt very forced.

Look, I'm not saying I'm not going to watch the show or that it's doomed, I think it can still be quality entertainment. It just didn't have the best start to it imo. Also, of course I'm going to start judging it now, it's what we do on message boards :lol:

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
They had 2 main characters in the first season, it's easy to build around that and build backstories for them. They have what, 5 main characters in this one? The 3 detectives and cop plus Vaughn's bad guy. That's a whole lot of cramming together backstory in one episode and to me fealt very forced.

Look, I'm not saying I'm not going to watch the show or that it's doomed, I think it can still be quality entertainment. It just didn't have the best start to it imo. Also, of course I'm going to start judging it now, it's what we do on message boards :lol:

I can't even remember any of their names and I watched it 4 hours ago