Would you have done things different?

GGajewski18

Things have been pretty slow around here, so I just wanted to create a discussion regarding how things have gone so far this off season and what you expect the rest of the off season.

For me, I don't think I would of done a single thing different. I have loved every move so far whether it was the small Dan Jennings deal, to the huge deals with Samardzija, Robertson, and Cabrera.

The rest of the off season, I would love to add Emilio Bonifacio, another bullpen arm (Adams? Crain? Cotts? Janssen? Ogando?), and possibly another starter depth wise.

What are your guys thoughts?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think possibly we could have spent money better than we did on Adam LaRoche, but once the other pieces came in around LaRoche, it made it more bearable. I guess the only guy I wanted to see the Sox realistically go after that they didn't, or at least not hard enough, was SS Jung-Ho Kang. The bid was only $5M, and the contract is expected to be around $20M or so. I think he is likely to have a better 2015 than Sanchez or Micah at 2B. Or, you could have even platooned Kang at 3B w/ Conor, and then when Conor played 3B, move Kang over to 2B, allowing Micah or Sanchez to have 2B on the days Conor was off. Kind of like a 3-way platoon situation. I am just really intrigued by Kang and as much as I love Micah, I don't trust he will become a productive player in the majors right out of the gate. I think he will have a longer gestation period.

first let me say that i am more that happy with what has been

done this offseason with regards of addressing the rebuilding.

we has fans are not privy to the inner discussions of what has

been discuss at the higher level with the rebuilding, in other

words will the sox sign Jeff S or was it their intention to let

him walk after this season.

so with that, the only difference is i would have gone and signed

Lester instead of trading for Jeff S, and for these reason.

1. i still think Lester is the better pitcher and screw with the rh vs lh.

2. save the prospects we used to make the trade.

now the other thing i failed to mention is, signing Jeff S may also

help with getting fans, the chi fans who are a fan of his.

the last thing i would do different get another SP. :D

I would have preferred K-Rod on a 2-year deal (over Robertson). It's not a knock on Robertson at all, I just would have preferred a stopgap solution compared to a long term risk. This would have saved a little cash to potentially make another addition as well.

Another move I would have made is signing Brandon Morrow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
I honestly think if you looked at the teams biggest holes, we got the best players available when price was considered for each of them in Samardjiza, Cabrera, and Robertson.

No one in baseball has had a better off season than Rick Hahn.

Hahn has definitely upgraded the team this off season. Still, if the White Sox are going to contend for a playoff spot in 2015, the team needs another starting pitcher. Noesi and Danks are not going to get the team into the playoffs. Hopefully Hahn can get the team another starter before opening day.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 4, 2015 -> 07:08 AM)
first let me say that i am more that happy with what has been

done this offseason with regards of addressing the rebuilding.

we has fans are not privy to the inner discussions of what has

been discuss at the higher level with the rebuilding, in other

words will the sox sign Jeff S or was it their intention to let

him walk after this season.

so with that, the only difference is i would have gone and signed

Lester instead of trading for Jeff S, and for these reason.

1. i still think Lester is the better pitcher and screw with the rh vs lh.

2. save the prospects we used to make the trade.

now the other thing i failed to mention is, signing Jeff S may also

help with getting fans, the chi fans who are a fan of his.

the last thing i would do different get another SP. :D

QUOTE (Whitey @ Jan 4, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)
I would have preferred K-Rod on a 2-year deal (over Robertson). It's not a knock on Robertson at all, I just would have preferred a stopgap solution compared to a long term risk. This would have saved a little cash to potentially make another addition as well.

Another move I would have made is signing Brandon Morrow.

Same here guys. Instead of Shark, I would have gone after Eovaldi given his age, upside and would have been very interesting to see what Coop could do with Eovaldi. Nothing against Shark, just prefer Eovaldi's years of team control and much cheaper salary. I'm just not a fan of one year rentals that want to go to FA and max out their contracts but I understand why Shark wants to. Nevertheless, Shark is a Sox pitcher and I am happy to have him.

Robertson; I like the signing but KRod could probably be signed for close to half of what Robertson signed and would have allowed the Sox to more money to spend elsewhere but like Shark, I'm happy to have Robertson.

Like another poster mentioned, I would have checked in on Donaldson despite being a RHB.

Edited by StRoostifer

I probably would not have traded for Samardzija and would have done whatever I could to not trade Semien if I had to trade for him. I also wouldn't have gone after Melky. I'd have gone harder after Hanley to be a corner OF at the price he went for and, if not, have looked to Nori Aoki to fill the hole in LF.

Don't get wrong, huge fan of our offseason, I'd say we are the early offseason winners, and definitely our best offseason in YEARS, but:

Things I love and praise Hahn for:

- Grabbing LaRoche for so cheap

- Giving up very minor prospects for Samardzija, a star

- Grabbing a legitimate MLB (Jennings) arm for a potential prospect (Rienzo)

Things I don't love but I'll get used to:

- Paying Robertson so much, but I'll love this when he performs

- Paying a cheater so much, but I'll like it when he performs

- Paying Zach Duke 15 MIL, that's a joke

What's left:

- Sign Michael Roth

- Sign Dustin McGowan

- Trade Danks for prospects to replenish our system

Without knowing what swings and misses went with the signing, I'm pretty happy with what he accomplished. There seems to be more confidence in the direction of the team and the resources to go after it. Looking at pre and post 2005 I believe the WS has had lasting impact on the southside and how they believe they can win again.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 4, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
totally unrelated to all who posted here. i really find that all have

said that Hahn and the sox have done a wonderful job this

offseason.

i just want to continue to say that so no one thinks otherwise.

Ditto.

Given where this club was 2 years ago, Hahn has done a fantastic job. We have 3 of the top 15 pitchers in baseball heading the top of our rotation, a pitcher in Danks who can surprise next year as he continues to come back from major surgery, and several pitchers in the pipeline who can provide quality innings next year.

The bullpen needed reworking, and Hahn found two lefties in Duke and Jennings and a closer in Robertson. There are some more young guys, Petricka and Webb to name but two, who can also help in the near future.

Since Victor Martinez went back to Detroit, Hahn signed a good alternative LH bat in Adam Laroche. He also found Melky Cabrera to shore up the outfield, at least offensively. The top of the lineup looks pretty good:

CF Adam Eaton

LF Melky Cabrera

1B Jose Abreu

DH Adam Laroche

RF Avisail Garcia

SS Alexei Ramirez

Hahn still needs a RH platoon partner for Conor Gillaspie, and he needs to figure out how to trade Dayan Viciedo. The platoon partner could be Matt Davidson. I can also see the point behind leaving 2B open for Carlos Sanchez or Micah Johnson: youth must be served.

The one player I would have liked to see us get was David Ross. He has been a defensive stalwart as a backup catcher, and he might have helped Tyler Flowers' development.

That said, I don't think I could have improved upon the job that Rick Hahn has done, and I'd be hard pressed to point at a GM in the game right now who would.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jan 4, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
I would have farted into a wine glass and smelled it. Since, after this offseason, Rick Hahn's farts likely smell like rainbows and fresh cut grass.

Thanks,

Charlie Haeger's Knuckles

What if Hahn offered you the position of his special GM counsel on the condition you had to drink from his fart glass for the first few weeks...would you accept?

Edit: thanks, stix

Edited by Jerksticks

For what it's worth I think there were very few among us who thought the Sox would sign as many free agents as they did. This defintely was the year to do it as I said often in the VMart thread. But even then ,with the Sox history of FA activity as a guide ,we got the usual ideas of signing projects and misfits here.

Since the holidays just passed, I'm reminded that it seems as if the Sox are sometimes the "Island of Misfit toys" from the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer animation. Most of us get our ideas on what we would do based on this concept that we are a mid level payroll team based in a large market and play second fiddle to the other team here. Misfits indeed.

Even now in this thread the risk of signing the best of the best is so foreign that we continue to want lesser players so they don't hurt the team financially and maybe we'd get lucky and some of them might actually perform at a high level.

Hahn and the Sox either traded or signed some of the best talent out there at their respective positions and didn't spend over $46M on any of them.

I expected high activity and I got it in spades which is all I could ask for. Asking anyone what they would do differently is not something I would endeavor to answer. I am not qualified nor do I have a plan I have discussed and agreed upon with other high ranking members of management and the owner .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 4, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)
What if Hahn offered you the position of his special GM counsel on the condition you had to drink from his fart glass for the first few weeks...would you accept?

Edit: thanks, stix

Absolutely. If not rainbows, it's at least "new car" farting.

Thanks, Burner.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 4, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
I would have preferred to spent less money on Duke and Robertson and go for Breslow, Grilli and maybe Joba or Mike Adams. I do like Robertson but I'd rather pay the 5-10 million extra for Headley.

Speaking of Headley, I've been saying it since August: Conor Gillaspie is not going to be the boy wonder anymore come June. The same guys who peg him as a piece of the young core will be begging for him to be cut.

What, is there someone here who things Conor is part of our core future? I thought we all knew he was a serviceable piece of have, but easily replaceable if the situation came up.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 12:46 AM)
What, is there someone here who things Conor is part of our core future? I thought we all knew he was a serviceable piece of have, but easily replaceable if the situation came up.

I'll sign on the guilty line Chili. 2015 will be the year of the Condor.

And easily replaceable for 500k my ass.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 02:01 AM)
I'll sign on the guilty line Chili. 2015 will be the year of the Condor.

And easily replaceable for 500k my ass.

If the situation presents itself where the Sox could upgrade over 3B, you don't think twice about it, you take the upgrade. That's my point. I regard 3B, 2B, and C all in the same way. If an opportunity presents itself to get better there, take it. We can't depend on a playoff spot with 3-4 holes in our lineup, depending how Avisail does in a full year.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 5, 2015 -> 05:04 AM)
For what it's worth I think there were very few among us who thought the Sox would sign as many free agents as they did. This defintely was the year to do it as I said often in the VMart thread. But even then ,with the Sox history of FA activity as a guide ,we got the usual ideas of signing projects and misfits here.

Since the holidays just passed, I'm reminded that it seems as if the Sox are sometimes the "Island of Misfit toys" from the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer animation. Most of us get our ideas on what we would do based on this concept that we are a mid level payroll team based in a large market and play second fiddle to the other team here. Misfits indeed.

Even now in this thread the risk of signing the best of the best is so foreign that we continue to want lesser players so they don't hurt the team financially and maybe we'd get lucky and some of them might actually perform at a high level.

Hahn and the Sox either traded or signed some of the best talent out there at their respective positions and didn't spend over $46M on any of them.

I expected high activity and I got it in spades which is all I could ask for. Asking anyone what they would do differently is not something I would endeavor to answer. I am not qualified nor do I have a plan I have discussed and agreed upon with other high ranking members of management and the owner .

nice post.