Give me an off-season you enjoyed more than this 2014-2015...

shipps

I know what you are thinking but 2006 wasn't it. Yes we were all still rolling off the high we had from the 05' WS but we were still exhausted and fully satisfied from winning. This off- season has been exciting, fresh and more intriguing than any other I can remember. As a fan even if this team ultimately fails I have been entertained and have enjoyed every second of our whitesox talk. What is even more satisfying is that the moves made don't even make you feel yucky or hesitant to get your hopes up for the next season. It's all good right now sox fans.

can't say MORE than this year, but one of my favorites was 2004, because we were not know for signing free agent pitchers, and at that time Freddy Garcia was the premo that was out there...and we went and got him. I remember that it was pretty exciting that we hooked him.

2004-2005 Starting with the additions of Garcia and Contreras, followed up by AJ, Dye, Pods/Vizcaino, Iguchi and El Duque.

2007-2008 Alexei/Danks/Quentin...Floyd was added in 2007 and then Viciedo would be added after, was REALLY excited at the time about the biggest signing bonus player (surpassing Borchard) in Sox history...with Beckham also drafted that summer as well

2009...With Peavy and Rios coming onboard, especially the season-long courtship of Peavy...unfortunately, it also pushed out Jermaine Dye, and that left a sour taste

Fun offseason for fans. But all we need to remember is Adam Dunn. The Sox acquisitions could all suck and the Sox could quickly resemble the Phillies or some team like that. I hope for the best and applaud Hahn. I just hope all these new guys are motivated and talented.

The consolidation and imact level of this years moves puts it far and away as the most exciting in my mind. 2004 mid season to 2004 offseason was beastly - I knew 2005 was gonna be a special year... Didn't see just how special it was gonna be thou... That's for sure.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 07:51 AM)
The consolidation and imact level of this years moves puts it far and away as the most exciting in my mind. 2004 mid season to 2004 offseason was beastly - I knew 2005 was gonna be a special year... Didn't see just how special it was gonna be thou... That's for sure.

my offseason to remember is several, but the one that stood out the most, and this offseason is about in the top 5, was the offseason after the world series. i had a very bad yr b/c of health, was recovering from my problems and missed the WS games. but the feel good, the hype, the excitement from the WS hangover carried over to spring training. it was a great time for me for many reasons.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 09:56 PM)
I know what you are thinking but 2006 wasn't it. Yes we were all still rolling off the high we had from the 05' WS but we were still exhausted and fully satisfied from winning. This off- season has been exciting, fresh and more intriguing than any other I can remember. As a fan even if this team ultimately fails I have been entertained and have enjoyed every second of our whitesox talk. What is even more satisfying is that the moves made don't even make you feel yucky or hesitant to get your hopes up for the next season. It's all good right now sox fans.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! :chair

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
2004-2005 Starting with the additions of Garcia and Contreras, followed up by AJ, Dye, Pods/Vizcaino, Iguchi and El Duque.

2007-2008 Alexei/Danks/Quentin...Floyd was added in 2007 and then Viciedo would be added after, was REALLY excited at the time about the biggest signing bonus player (surpassing Borchard) in Sox history...with Beckham also drafted that summer as well

2009...With Peavy and Rios coming onboard, especially the season-long courtship of Peavy...unfortunately, it also pushed out Jermaine Dye, and that left a sour taste

IIRC, most people were PISSED with the Carlos Lee trade and hated the 2005 off season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)

Rios was a waiver trade that occurred midseason 2009. and then he proceeded to hit .199 for the rest of season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:27 PM)
Fun offseason for fans. But all we need to remember is Adam Dunn. The Sox acquisitions could all suck and the Sox could quickly resemble the Phillies or some team like that. I hope for the best and applaud Hahn. I just hope all these new guys are motivated and talented.

well arent you a beacon of shining light

I would say the 2005-2006 offseason was pretty sweet. Coming off winning it all. Adding Thome, even Vazquez, as a 5th starter. The offseason between the 1990 and 1991 season was nice. A young team, a new stadium. Anticipating a full year of Frank Thomas and Alex Fernandez. Adding Chuck Hough and Tim Raines. Even Cory Snyder was decent. Then in the spring they signed Bo.

Edited by Dick Allen

I really enjoyed the 04-05 off-season. 2004 left such a bad taste in my mouth with the Twins, and Torii Hunter/Jamie Burke, Ordonez going down, Carlos Lee's and Jose Valentin's apparent stat-first approach, etc. The team just had no life, and to me, the off-season represented a shift in philosophy, from the HR-or-nothing, individual stats mentality to a balanced, whole-team offense.

We got rid of Lee and added Pods (and Vizcaino), power for speed, which I loved. We picked up AJ, the type of player that team really needed, i.e., personality, passion, smarts and ability. We picked up JD, which I thought was a steal, especially when stories came out about how another team offered him a bigger contract, but he said he had already given his word to KW, and he wouldn't go back on that - I liked what I knew about him and his game previously, and felt a couple freak injuries held him back, and he was still good, but when that story came out I knew we landed someone special. Then Iguchi, who was just a perfect fit for that team and what it was Ozzie and KW were trying to accomplish - team first. Then El Duque, the ultimate veteran and champion, and clearly he had an effect on Contreras. I liked the Dustin Hermanson pick-up, but had no idea how valuable he would become.

It was just a great off-season, and I don't remember being upset about any of the moves, or upset that we didn't make other moves.

QUOTE (Carlo Paz @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
When they picked up AJ and Dye I remember thinking that at least they had given themselves a chance, and that's what you really ask for as a fan...just a chance.

Well said. In no season that I can recall have they gone from not having a chance for two years to a team like this. So I'm happy.

The 2004-5 offseason felt similar to me. After the Lee trade there was the same feeling of checking items off the list. People forget now how exciting the Iguchi signing was. Basically was the last piece left, people were clamor img for the signing at soxfest. Reminded me of bonifacio.

I loved what we did in 04-05 (especially the Pods signing [love speed!] and the JD signing [he had always been one of my favs]), but this season seems a bit more special in that we made trades but gave up no one or nothing that was not expendable. I think this Hahn guy has the hang of it...

This offseason has been pretty incredible. I will say that I distinctly remember being beyond excited for the 2005 offseason, especially the additions of Iguchi, Hermanson, El Duque, and most of all Pierzynski & Dye.

I just got done looking at the 2005 roster going into opening day that year:

C A.J. Pierzynski

1B Paul Konerko

2B Tadahito Iguchi

3B Joe Crede

SS Juan Uribe

LF Scott Podsednik

CF Aaron Rowand

RF Jermaine Dye

DH Frank Thomas

Bench

OF Carl Everett

C Chris Widger

1B Ross Gload

UT Pablo Ozuna

IF Willie Harris

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Jose Contreras

SP Freddy Garcia

SP Jon Garland

SP Orlando Hernandez

RP Neal Cotts

RP Bobby Jenks

RP Damaso Marte

RP Cliff Politte

RP Shingo Takatsu

RP Luis Vizcaino

CL Dustin Hermanson

Kenny also acquired Geoff Blum and called up Bobby Jenks.

The way it all happened that year was magical. I remember my dad telling me a few weeks into the season, to enjoy the season because there's something special about it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 11:27 PM)

I'm sorry but you aren't allowed to have this opinion. You always come in here and spew your nonsense about how you're a "free agency guy" and you could care less about draft picks and the future and what not. This year, the White Sox gave up 2 draft picks and signed multiple big ticket free agents. Be happy about it. What you wanted to happen happened.