2015-2016 NFL Thread

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
Once you attempt a FG even if it wasn't 4th down, if it's missed or blocked, you don't retain possession anyway. It made no sense. They were out of TO's so if it were a bad snap or something they were SOL anyway. I realize running one back afterward is a longshot, but why even give them a chance?

That's not true. Rule 9.3.1 of the NFL Rulebook states otherwise:

If the ball has returned behind the line untouched by the receiving team beyond the line, and the kicking team catches or recovers the ball, the existing series of downs continues unless the kicking team advances the ball to the line to gain, in which case there is a new series of downs.

I totally nerded out to look that up, but it took me about 2 minutes to find that info. I think it's important to know the rules before criticizing a coach.

Either way, it's a moot point. We won.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
That's not true. Rule 9.3.1 of the NFL Rulebook states otherwise:

I totally nerded out to look that up, but it took me about 2 minutes to find that info. I think it's important to know the rules before criticizing a coach.

Either way, it's a moot point. We won.

You do understand a block kick is touched by the receiving team. Besides, there are 7 seconds left and no timeouts. Even a bad snap the extra second isn't going to help you. It was dumb of Fox.

In OT teams kick on first down all the time. They don't get 4 chances to make them. They get 1. Now a bad snap and they recover, then you're right, but 7 seconds and zero timeouts throws that out the window.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
You do understand a block kick is touched by the receiving team. Besides, there are 7 seconds left and no timeouts. Even a bad snap the extra second isn't going to help you. It was dumb of Fox.

In OT teams kick on first down all the time. They don't get 4 chances to make them. They get 1. Now a bad snap and they recover, then you're right, but 7 seconds and zero timeouts throws that out the window.

I thought our clock management the whole game was really poor. The not calling a time out after the Bears got the sack on 2nd down (to create a 3rd and 25) was just dumb. Bears could have had the ball near midfield with a minute plus on the clock. Also, given we were kicking a 49 yard field goal, I thought our execution to set up to the field goal was weak. We wasted a lot of clock and could have gotten an extra play off.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
That would be a heck of a parachute considering his continued failure at ND.

Personally I think Brian Kelly is an excellent football coach and I hope he doesn't leave ND. They consistently are contending for titles under Kelly. Have they got one, no, but they are right their and while you might like bashing them, they almost beat (with a backup QB) a very good Clemson team on the road. If ND wins out, they are going to the playoffs. I'm not saying they will, cause I don't think they will, but Kelly has done a good job.

I've seen enough of teams like Texas or USC struggle to replace what they lost that I'm not one of those people that wants to fire someone cause we think ND should win a title every year. ND getting rid of Kelly would be a bad thing for ND.

Personally I think Brian Kelly is an excellent football coach and I hope he doesn't leave ND. They consistently are contending for titles under Kelly. Have they got one, no, but they are right their and while you might like bashing them, they almost beat (with a backup QB) a very good Clemson team on the road. If ND wins out, they are going to the playoffs. I'm not saying they will, cause I don't think they will, but Kelly has done a good job.

I've seen enough of teams like Texas or USC struggle to replace what they lost that I'm not one of those people that wants to fire someone cause we think ND should win a title every year. ND getting rid of Kelly would be a bad thing for ND.

Brian Kelly is an excellent recruiter, but his in-game strategy and playcalling are atrocious. Twice he's decided to go for two when it was not warranted and cost his team wins. Several other times he's made it more difficult and/or impossible for his team to win due to playcalling.

I know that he's never going to get fired with his record, that's why I'd love to see him take an NFL job. I think Mark Stoops would be a great fit for ND.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)

Yes, I understand a blocked kick is touched by the receiving team. The rule states that the ball cannot be touched by the receiving team "beyond the line" of scrimmage. 99% of the time, that block is going to occur at or behind the line of scrimmage, whether it's penetration from up the middle or around the corner. So yes, a blocked kick can be recovered by the kicking team and they'll keep possession.

That disaster is just starting.

Although the schedule will be nice to them. So they should probably win some of those.

Also as far as coaching goes. That team is dysfunctional. Watch the OL play. They look lost.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
That would be a heck of a parachute considering his continued failure at ND.

How is he a continued failure at Notre Dame?

He's 49 and 21. He had his first two seasons with Weis' mediocre guys.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
That disaster is just starting.

Although the schedule will be nice to them. So they should probably win some of those.

Also as far as coaching goes. That team is dysfunctional. Watch the OL play. They look lost.

He did very well with the roster left over from Andy Reid. The moves he's been making looked bad at the time and even worse now.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
Yes, I understand a blocked kick is touched by the receiving team. The rule states that the ball cannot be touched by the receiving team "beyond the line" of scrimmage. 99% of the time, that block is going to occur at or behind the line of scrimmage, whether it's penetration from up the middle or around the corner. So yes, a blocked kick can be recovered by the kicking team and they'll keep possession.

You are incorrect.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
He could name his job if he went back to college.

If Chip was available, he'd basically be the one "realistic" candidate that I'd go for over Kelly. Otherwise unless you are getting a Saban or Meyer, well, I see no reason to move from Kelly.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
How is he a continued failure at Notre Dame?

He's 49 and 21. He had his first two seasons with Weis' mediocre guys.

Sorry, I thought this was Notre Dame we were talking about. Fame alone is what keeps them in the NC talk every year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
You are incorrect.

See below. I highlighted the important parts for you. Full disclosure: this is from the NFL's 2012 Case Book. They haven't published one online since that year. However, I reviewed the 2013-2015 rule changes and none of them had to do with this scenario.

I'm a referee, so I'll help break this down. A.R.'s ("approved ruling") can be confusing to people who aren't familiar with them:

A = Kicking team

B = Defending/Receiving team

B10 = Defending team's 10 yard line (spot of ball)

B17 = Defending team's 17 yard line (spot of the holder)

A4 = Player on Kicking team

B19 = Defending team's 19 yard line

A.R. 11.43 MISSED FIELD GOAL — BEHIND THE LINE

Third-and-2 on B10. A field-goal attempt from the B17 is blocked and: a) goes out of bounds at the B18; b) is recovered by A2 at the B15 who runs for a touchdown; c) is recovered simultaneously by A3 and B3 at the B21; d) is recovered by A4 at the B19; e) is recovered and downed by B2 at the B15; or f) goes beyond the line and then returns behind the line, untouched by Team B beyond the line in the field of play, and goes out of bounds at the B16 or is recovered by A2 at the B16.

Rulings:

a) B’s ball, first-and-10 on B18.

b) Touchdown Team A. Kickoff A35.

c) B’s ball, first-and-10 on B21.

d) A’s ball, fourth-and-11 on B19.

e) B’s ball, first-and-10 on B15.

f) B's ball, first-and-10 on B20.

Edited by dasox24

Sorry, I thought this was Notre Dame we were talking about. Fame alone is what keeps them in the NC talk every year.

The only year ND was in the NC talk was in 2012, when they were the only team to go undefeated during the regular season.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:39 PM)
Unbelievable missed call by the refs on that Calvin Johnson. You can't intentionally bat the ball through the endzone so the Lions should have still had the ball.

Seahawks get the benefit of calls/non-calls more than any other team in the league

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:55 PM)
See below. I highlighted the important parts for you. Full disclosure: this is from the NFL's 2012 Case Book. They haven't published one online since that year. However, I reviewed the 2013-2015 rule changes and none of them had to do with this scenario.

I'm a referee, so I'll help break this down. A.R.'s ("approved ruling") can be confusing to people who aren't familiar with them:

A = Kicking team

B = Defending/Receiving team

B10 = Defending team's 10 yard line (spot of ball)

B17 = Defending team's 17 yard line (spot of the holder)

A4 = Player on Kicking team

B19 = Defending team's 19 yard line

If the kick is blocked they aren't going to get another attempt. He called his final timeout with 7 seconds left. So 7 seconds on the snap, even if your scenario is correct, which it isn't, with no timeouts left, how in the world would they have time to attempt another FG? It was dumb. A very slim chance they score on the kickoff, but they should not have had the chance, and calling TO with 7 seconds left guaranteed that. Make sure after the kick you can walk off the field.

Edited by Dick Allen