White Sox call up Tyler Saladino

Balta1701

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
Given our need for a right-handed bat, you have to think we'll end up seeing Matt Davidson at some point this year. Yeah yeah lots of strikeouts disappointing return for Reed, but he there's a decent chance he'll be a really nice option at 3B/DH to cover for those lefties. He ought to take some reps at 2B in MiLB as well

Considering that they called up a guy who had only played 5 games at 3B and then placed him at 3B, instead of Davidson... I think that I would be shocked to see Davidson get a major league at bat.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
Yep. Bonafacio's .151 BA and questionable D bring nothing except for speed. Conor brings a LH bat with a little pop and could serve well to PH late in games. Beckham brings Defense, a little pop with a RH bat. The Sox already have Shuck as the 4th OF who plays nice D and has some pop. Boni is the odd man out. If the Sox need speed, Leury is just a call up away. Bye bye Boni.

Speed? It doesn't even use it well. He should have been called out on Friday, when anyone who knows how to slide would have been safe easily.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
Speed? It doesn't even use it well. He should have been called out on Friday, when anyone who knows how to slide would have been safe easily.

I said he has speed but did not say he used it well. ;)

Is saladino really below average speed? Doesn't seem like that at all. Not sure he has arm for third ( this may be footwork but seems like he needs to wind up quite a bit) but I like him a lot as a bench piece. Just seems like a gamer.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
Is saladino really below average speed? Doesn't seem like that at all. Not sure he has arm for third ( this may be footwork but seems like he needs to wind up quite a bit) but I like him a lot as a bench piece. Just seems like a gamer.

He's not Micah Johnson or Jacob May fast, but he's clearly above average, especially for a 3B. And based on the SB numbers raBBit posted, he appears to be a smart base-runner. Also, didn't notice any issues with him arm yesterday and I don't think I ever heard his arm being a problem in scouting reports. I agree that he seems like a gamer and an intelligent ballplayer, something we could use more of, even if it's just on the bench.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
Espn article from last night

Doesn't make any sense. You send down the starting 3b? And if he isn't the starter, why was he staring for 3 straight games. Not to mention the useless Bonifacio is on the roster.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Doesn't make any sense. You send down the starting 3b? And if he isn't the starter, why was he staring for 3 straight games. Not to mention the useless Bonifacio is on the roster.

He's started to see how he does in case they trade some of the others as well as to give other starters rest. RV obviously doesn't care for Bonifacio's play for some reason.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
Not a "pure" measure of speed but he does have 25 SB's in 27 attempts in Charlotte. I thought that was incredible.

Yeah, in 52 games. 25 steals in 52 games. 'Saladino has below average speed' is one of the more absurd comments I've seen here.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
He's started to see how he does in case they trade some of the others as well as to give other starters rest. RV obviously doesn't care for Bonifacio's play for some reason.

Reasons might include he's been brutal.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
Yep, that could be one. There may be others, who knows.

I think it's basically that he's worse than Beckham as an infielder and he's worse the Shuck as an outfielder. He's third on the depth chart at any position he plays. He hasn't hit. Shuck is the top pinch hitter and he'll pinch hit for the catcher in a close game. Bonifacio hasn't been good enough to warrant him pinch hitting for Sanchez or anyone else. He's basically a pinch runner and injury insurance who makes most sense in the National League which is where I imagine he will finish the season.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)

The problem is Boni is making good money like Keppinger was, right? It's tough to release guys making a few bucks. I bet Saladino does go down. I'd prefer simply releasing either Beckham or Boni. Either one. Release one of the two.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:00 AM)
The problem is Boni is making good money like Keppinger was, right? It's tough to release guys making a few bucks. I bet Saladino does go down. I'd prefer simply releasing either Beckham or Boni. Either one. Release one of the two.

Boni is making peanuts.

Rick Hahn said that a reliever will be added for the series against STL on Tuesday. I am guessing that Albers will be returning. Saladino has started every day and done a great job. I can't see him going back down. Doesn't it seem like Gillaspie will be DFA to clear the spot? Seems that way to me.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
I'd rather DFA Beckham than Gillaspie. Gillaspie a better pinch hitter, better hitter, hits LH, etc. He's not great defensively but Saladino and Beckham are too similar.

I just want to see how Saladino handles the league once they have a scouting report on him.

Argument against: Neither are great hitters, Beckham is a better runner and vastly better defensively. Shuck and Bonifacio provide lefty hitting off the bench.

Conor just doesn't make sense unless he's starting.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
Argument against: Neither are great hitters, Beckham is a better runner and vastly better defensively. Shuck and Bonifacio provide lefty hitting off the bench.

Conor just doesn't make sense unless he's starting.

I am sure they are trying to trade Connor as we speak rather than just designating him, but I can't imagine anyone is beating down the door.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
It will be Bonifacio, I really believe.

I feel like Boni serves more of a purpose. If Saladino is the 3B, connor would be relagated to ph duties only. Not sure that's worth a roster spot, but is have a hard time dfa Connor too.