2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
Except you are smart enough to not just look at it through a vacuum. It leads to much bigger problems. No one is saying the play of Jimmy Butler was the reason the Bulls missed the playoffs, but clearly there are issues here. That line of reasoning would go over a lot better if they were in the Eastern Conference Finals right now.

OR, the Bulls have made up their mind on who is going to win the Butler/Rose battle long-term, and are laying the ground work in the media for when they trade him. Limit the potential backlash by fans by making him seem like a tool.

Right, but if you look at the progression of the team over the last 4-5 years, this isn't surprising. You've had a rudderless ship for a while now, with different guys trying to steer. First Rose, then Thibs, then Noah and now Jimmy. You have old guys that like the old way, you have young guys that like a new way.

The one criticism I do have of Jimmy is that he played too much hero ball when the coaches wanted a more up tempo, free style game. But I think Jimmy (rightly) saw that Rose was terrible and not a passing guard, and no one else could create shots on their own, so he tried to take over games when he was healthy enough to do so. Assuming that's not because of selfishness but because of his awareness that the current roster wasn't capable of playing that way, I have no problem with getting rid of everyone and letting Jimmy lead the next group of guys.

I'm just dubious that anything you can get back for him would be worth it. Say you get a scrub and a 1st round pick (unlikely). What are the odds that pick pans out and becomes an All-Star quality player? 10%? 15%? Why risk it?

To your last point, I don't think Sam Smith is that kind of reporter. I could be wrong, but that doesn't seem like something he goes for.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
Except you are smart enough to not just look at it through a vacuum. It leads to much bigger problems. No one is saying the play of Jimmy Butler was the reason the Bulls missed the playoffs, but clearly there are issues here. That line of reasoning would go over a lot better if they were in the Eastern Conference Finals right now.

OR, the Bulls have made up their mind on who is going to win the Butler/Rose battle long-term, and are laying the ground work in the media for when they trade him. Limit the potential backlash by fans by making him seem like a tool.

Knowing the Bulls, it is the second part.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
Knowing the Bulls, Butler is going to come out saying all this stuff out there is a false, and blame the Bulls for spreading it. Demands a trade, thus killing any value he had. THAT would be classic Bulls.

And then he tears his ACL in a stupid accident to seal the deal.

I'm team Jimmy. Noah, Rose, and the front office too seem to think it's 2011 and that they're still star players. Butler was never going to win their support. The old guard needs to go. Hope this leads to complete new blood in the franchise one way or the other, even without Butler.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

LMAO

Jimmy was like the one thing you would think with this Bulls team that was right. He was the one guy that you felt like at least he cares and goes about his business the way you would want someone to.

Nope. Let Jimmy kick us in the nuts just to get that last shot in as every one else begins playoff basketball.

My god this team is unbearable in every way.

So when you read a more transcribed version of the Cowley interview, it gives a bit different of a tone. This is from another board. Paints a totally different picture of Butler and Noah for that matter.

Think it's worth transcribing some of this, because I get the sense that a lot of people participating in this conversation haven't listened to the actual interview. This is more about Noah, than Butler.

- Joakim Noah doing his rehab in NY is the best thing that could have happened to this team, because he would've become a locker room cancer.

- He had a couple veterans on his side, but if he hadn't gotten out of town when he did was good, because Jimmy Butler wasn't going to take the snide comments directed towards Butler. You would've seen fists thrown between the two.

- In response to Butler being too cocky --- This stuff has been festering for the last two years since Noah/Rose have been able to work less hard than everyone else by skipping drills/practice. Noah was brainwashed into thinking that Thibs was bad for his career. Pau's very smart. He's a guy who operated with Kobe... he was very good at saying to Jimmy that he and Jimmy were busting their asses while Noah and Rose weren't. Jimmy had a point. He works like a leader, practices like a leader, was paid like a leader, etc while Rose/Noah are allowed to do whatever they want.

- The idea that Noah would have held this team together if healthy is incorrect. It would have created a bigger divide.

- Butler had enough of Noah's jokes/comments. Let a few slide, but was on the verge of snapping at Noah (paraphrasing).

- Also mentioned that the younger players view Butler as a leader, and that he's taken the time to work with the younger guys.

It is interesting now Jimmy is the hero because Noah and DRose have been able to skip drills and practice. I thought one of the knocks on Thibs was he practiced too hard. There is so much crap out there it makes you realize it is the NBA and who knows what is true? I will say, I do trust what Sam Smith writes and know he is friends with JR. If he is bagging Jimmy, Jimmy might need a real estate agent.

The longer Jimmy is here, the more people are going to start to hate him, I'm positive of that. There's a ton of things wrong with this organization but he's definitely one of them. He also makes a lot of money and will get you something good in return, get rid of his ass asap.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
LMAO

Jimmy was like the one thing you would think with this Bulls team that was right. He was the one guy that you felt like at least he cares and goes about his business the way you would want someone to.

Nope. Let Jimmy kick us in the nuts just to get that last shot in as every one else begins playoff basketball.

My god this team is unbearable in every way.

The Bulls are an organization in disarray, but clearly no one has the guts to do anything about it.

Cowley throws too much of his own opinions in stuff like that. I can see Jimmy going Hollywood but to say he and Jo would have legit thrown down is garbage. No way I believe it would escalate to that. And I'll continue to not believe it until Johnson reports something.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 10:34 PM)
Really hope Thibs gets the TWolves job. He can do wonders with that roster and a likely top 5 pick coming as well.

That team is going to be scary going forward no matter what but add Thibs? They're going to be killer.

So we've got...

Team Jimmy/Pau

Team Noah/Rose

Pau, Jimmy and Jo were the ones that wanted Thibs gone if I remember correctly, so Thibs can exist on his own.

McDermott trained with Jimmy, so we can add him there.

Taj loves everyone.

Dunleavy just does what he needs to.

Portis probably team Hoiberg.

Both Noah and Butler ragged on Hoiberg.

Paxson likes Noah, Forman likes Pau.

Pax liked Thibs and Forman until the JVG episode.

The moral of the story?

Too many god damn politics going on with this team and the only person who is innocent is Taj motherf***ing Gibson.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 01:02 AM)
So we've got...

Team Jimmy/Pau

Team Noah/Rose

Pau, Jimmy and Jo were the ones that wanted Thibs gone if I remember correctly, so Thibs can exist on his own.

McDermott trained with Jimmy, so we can add him there.

Taj loves everyone.

Dunleavy just does what he needs to.

Portis probably team Hoiberg.

Both Noah and Butler ragged on Hoiberg.

Paxson likes Noah, Forman likes Pau.

Pax liked Thibs and Forman until the JVG episode.

The moral of the story?

Too many god damn politics going on with this team and the only person who is innocent is Taj motherf***ing Gibson.

I don't trust any of this as the leaks were very heavy coming from the Forman side after Thibs left - who remained silent on it aside from JVG. Also, the forman contribution of telling players they don't need to listen to Thibs.

Considering Jimmy basically tried to reinsititute Thibs offense and kept blaming weak coaching, going to assume whatever anti-thibs was in him was planted or manipulated cause it sure seems like he respects him now.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)
That team is going to be scary going forward no matter what but add Thibs? They're going to be killer.

Also injured and unhappy. No coach needs full authority. The coach and the GM have such different jobs.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 05:41 PM)
Also injured and unhappy. No coach needs full authority. The coach and the GM have such different jobs.

Injured and unhappy? The bulls training staff and Gar are going to Minnesota too?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 6m6 minutes ago

Tom Thibodeau is finalizing a five-year deal to become president and coach of the Timberwolves, league sources tell @TheVertical.

That's a great move for Thibs.