My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:45 AM)
The garbage we gave up is marginally more valuable than garbage we received. The Sox did not get fleeced. Samardzija just didn't show up this season. None of the players the Sox gave up are going to amount to anything, except perhaps Semien as a league average player.

you may be right in the long run, however when the sox needed the sp who could win, Shark was sleeping, thinking of the money he will make.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:39 AM)
You missed the most important part of the deal for us which is the 1st round pick.

no offense, but that was the consolation prize.

edit.... i think i would have love a trip to the playoff and the first rounder.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 06:39 PM)
You missed the most important part of the deal for us which is the 1st round pick.

And how many years will it take to determine if that comp pick will turn into anything? The comp pick is a complete unknown.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
The garbage we gave up is marginally more valuable than garbage we received. The Sox did not get fleeced. Samardzija just didn't show up this season. None of the players the Sox gave up are going to amount to anything, except perhaps Semien as a league average player.

I beg to differ. With the lack of starting pitching depth, it would be nice to have a guy like Bassitt to give EJ some competition in ST. After the starting five its Beck and Drabek. Would be nice if the Sox had Bassitt to compete with EJ in ST. Not like EJ is a sure thing for success.

With Ravelo only being 23 and showing that so far, he can hit for Average and a high OBP, how can you say he won't amount to anything? His future is literally unwritten. The only knock on the guy is that he has yet to hit for power which, given his age, could still happen. I admit he lacks power for a 1B but that doesn't mean it will never develop.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I will admit I am biased because I hated the idea of trading for Samardzija before it even happened and now in hind sight, I hate it infinitely more.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
It's neither of these things. The QO pick was a possibility after the trade happened but ultimately, it was decided that the QO pick would be more valuable than trading Samarzija in July.

The deal was always a season of Shark plus a QO pick (short of injury). The upside was potentially locking him up to a long-term deal (at a below market rate) or trading him at the deadline for prospects, but getting a QO pick was always part of the floor. And right now, it's the most important of the deal for us, which is why saying we got "fleeced" and not acknowledging that part of the deal is very misleading.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 04:16 AM)
It's neither of these things. The QO pick was a possibility after the trade happened but ultimately, it was decided that the QO pick would be more valuable than trading Samarzija in July.

so you don't think that there was some strained talks between Hahn and KW to get the owners to decide which way to go???

without having ears in that FO, no one is right in their [belief or is it believe] of what was finally decided on.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)

Phegley can hit; Semien can hit. Both are flawed but can hit.

The issue though why is a 73 team trading young players for a 1 year rent. 1 in a series of ridiculous moves last winter.

On a different subject, it's startling to me how any one could possibly believe that Starlin Castro has any trade value at all. He's a .8 WAR player and you are on the hook for 40 over 4.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 09:58 PM)

The issue though why is a 73 team trading young players for a 1 year rent. 1 in a series of ridiculous moves last winter.

None of the moves were ridiculous. They just didnt work.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 04:13 AM)
I'm with you on that. What is most likely going to be a first round pick is a huge deal for the org.

if you can, i can see how last season was a wash of wishful hoping. but also take a look at it this way. i still think, and i am with blacksox on this, us 2 were for the most part against this trade. how do i know, we were talking about it before and after the trade was done. good intentions that never fulfilled it self. as i said, the comp pick will determine on how good of decision it was.

however that indecision at the trade deadline is what is the sticking point for me. no one will tell me if Shark was really available and early in the deadline, the sox may have been able to acquire players that are a. in the major league and b. multi players.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/25/9039857/...rumors-deadline

now saying the comp pick is golden, the key there is with luck, that player who is a comp will make it to the majors but at what time line. the players that would have come in the deadline would be ready now....

btw, Semien a nice looking 3b for the sox.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 03:59 AM)
None of the moves were ridiculous. They just didnt work.

if anything, your comment is the most correct.

the off season has always been a time for hope and wish full thinking.

and now the offseason has started and i am really hoping that the sox does great.

i hate playing second fiddle to that other team from chicago.

i really wonder how much money they will have for salary and fa's.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)
I beg to differ. With the lack of starting pitching depth, it would be nice to have a guy like Bassitt to give EJ some competition in ST. After the starting five its Beck and Drabek. Would be nice if the Sox had Bassitt to compete with EJ in ST. Not like EJ is a sure thing for success.

With Ravelo only being 23 and showing that so far, he can hit for Average and a high OBP, how can you say he won't amount to anything? His future is literally unwritten. The only knock on the guy is that he has yet to hit for power which, given his age, could still happen. I admit he lacks power for a 1B but that doesn't mean it will never develop.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I will admit I am biased because I hated the idea of trading for Samardzija before it even happened and now in hind sight, I hate it infinitely more.

To the bolded - so what? Sign a couple bounceback candidates for competition. It is always nice to have depth, but Bassitt is nothing special.

I see Ravelo as a Casey Kotchman type (with likely not nearly as good of a glove) as a best case scenario. Not exactly a big loss, and it is probably more likely he never makes it.

Semien was the jewel of the trade, but even he is a very flawed player.

Again, it was a good trade. It just didn't work out.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 10:58 PM)

On a different subject, it's startling to me how any one could possibly believe that Starlin Castro has any trade value at all. He's a .8 WAR player and you are on the hook for 40 over 4.

Phegley wasn't liked in Chicago. His time was over. I agree that Semien can hit, yet he is a flawed player that was never likely to be a regular on the Sox due to his defense. I'd take the trade back for him alone, but I don't think we're going to be wallowing in our sorrows over what he becomes.

Since I don't think the Sox would trade Quintana for just prospects, the only realistic Sox/Cubs trade I see involving him would be something like Q for Schwarber and McKinney. However, I still don't think either side does that deal, as the Sox aren't going to trade Quintana for a 2 WAR DH (Schwarber put up the exact same wRC+ that Kendry Morales did this year, and Morales was at 2.1 WAR) that only exasperates our problems against LHP, and after that playoff performance the Cubs probably feel Schwarber's value is at an all-time high and won't trade him unless they're blown away by an offer.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
Why would the Rockies want Quintana? Trading Arenado is a "blow it up" move for them.

Quintana would instantly become their #1, plus I'm sure Sox would add some top prospects to go along with it.

They aren't exactly going anywhere with that pitching staff.