White Sox decline option on Alexei Ramirez

Whisox05

Interesting. I don't know what the Sox are thinking ... does this signal a rebuild??

Does this signal trying to get him back on a lesser deal?

What is Alexei's market? If you look over the past few years there haven't been a ton of FA SS to analyze. I'd be willing to think that someone will offer him 2 years ... maybe 2yr, 14-16mm or 1 year and option/buyout?

I personally think this isn't the smartest move. I'd rather see him somewhere in the infield. Alexei started as a 2B, maybe shift him there. Does have more value there with decreased range, but still with the ability to have a strong arm and turn double plays? Does Sanchez fit better at SS, just flip flopping them? How about at 3B? Not many FA out there. Still has the arm, less range, might be a good spot there? Or maybe just at SS. I just don't see many BETTER options out there. I see others that are good, but why create another hole?

I think you'll see him signed by another team 2 years, 16mm, but I do think the Sox offer him 1yr, 7mm, option for second year, and another $1mm buyout.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
Interesting. I don't know what the Sox are thinking ... does this signal a rebuild??

Does this signal trying to get him back on a lesser deal?

What is Alexei's market? If you look over the past few years there haven't been a ton of FA SS to analyze. I'd be willing to think that someone will offer him 2 years ... maybe 2yr, 14-16mm or 1 year and option/buyout?

I personally think this isn't the smartest move. I'd rather see him somewhere in the infield. Alexei started as a 2B, maybe shift him there. Does have more value there with decreased range, but still with the ability to have a strong arm and turn double plays? Does Sanchez fit better at SS, just flip flopping them? How about at 3B? Not many FA out there. Still has the arm, less range, might be a good spot there? Or maybe just at SS. I just don't see many BETTER options out there. I see others that are good, but why create another hole?

I think you'll see him signed by another team 2 years, 16mm, but I do think the Sox offer him 1yr, 7mm, option for second year, and another $1mm buyout.

there it is.... someone mention what is or should be the next topic.

why??? what is the sox future plans look like.

nice post.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
Not shocking news, and I won't be upset if they go in another direction. I guarantee it won't be Sanchez. If they do stay in-home, Saladino is the one they view as a potential SS.

i think you make a point.

either Saladino or Alexei with the same hitting avg, the only thing it will be 8mil cheaper to go with Saladino.

Sanchez and Saladino might be average or competent at SS, but their defense won't be enough to offset their offensive weaknesses at that position.

If they really believed that, they could or should have played either one of those guys there (especially Saladino, who lost playing time down the stretch) instead of Ramirez over the final month.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Sanchez was a SS in the minors right? Maybe they go that route. Sanchez got better as the season went on so maybe he gets a shot to continue that with Micah at 2B.....Or perhaps my preferred route, Sanchez at SS, Micah traded, and Howie Kendrick playing 2B.

Sanchez has the glove and footwork for major league SS play, but his arm is fringy at that position and his range isn't great. He'd be a below average defender there overall, though not terrible. I think Saladino would be better defensively in that position, and he has a higher offensive ceiling too.

Sanchez is a pretty perfect utility guy. Can competently cover any INF position, has enough offensive ceiling to at least get on base at a respectable clip, runs well enough and smart enough for PR duty, switch-hitter, cheap.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
I'd like him here one more year to let Anderson develop more.

Anderson would be terrible if he played in the MLB full time next year. He's too raw.

I would let spring training decide, honestly. Alexei is a below replacement level player.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I'm happy he found some success in the majors, but he's just not a $10 million player.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
He'll be back. One or two year deal.

I thought there was a rule that prohibited a team from re-signing their own free agent until after the next regular season was underway?

Does anyone KNOW if that rule is still in effect??; or am I having a Roger Clemens monent and "mis-remembering".

I thought there was a rule that prohibited a team from re-signing their own free agent until after the next regular season was underway?

Does anyone KNOW if that rule is still in effect??; or am I having a Roger Clemens monent and "mis-remembering".

That rule went away a while ago. Not sure exactly what year.

QUOTE (59th street @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)

Not still in effect. We can sign him

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
Not still in effect. We can sign him

OK, Thanks. If that is the case it would seem very likely that he will be back at a lesser deal.

I am in favor of his return, as his release would appear to create another position of need where there is no obvious solution. I still don't remember how that rule got changed with out the palyers association raising hell but if re-signing your own free agent at a lesser rate is now allowed that seems prudent.

QUOTE (59th street @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
OK, Thanks. If that is the case it would seem very likely that he will be back at a lesser deal.

I am in favor of his return, as his release would appear to create another position of need where there is no obvious solution. I still don't remember how that rule got changed with out the palyers association raising hell but if re-signing your own free agent at a lesser rate is now allowed that seems prudent.

Specifically, the Sox could sign him beginning the 7th, which is Saturday. Not before, at least officially.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
If they don't already have a gentleman's agreement in place to bring him back for a lower amount for like 2 years at $7M or so then this was simply a bad move by the Sox. We don't have anyone ready to step in and Tim Anderson is at least 1-2 years away from being ready

They wouldn't make a gentleman's agreement to do that. They would just make an agreement to do that. They would have announced that agreed upon contract if they had one.