Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
I'm not worried about this yet. Until these guys sign with other teams I still have a little hope.

I obviously hope the Sox can make a splash, but perhaps Cespedes/Upton aren't the best options. Throwing 5 years and ~$125M at Cespedes is going to bite you in the ass at some point, and perhaps very, very hard. I'm not against trying to get one of those guys, but there is more than one way to make this team a competitor, and those players aren't without their flaws.

Gordon was the guy I was hoping for most.

Edited by ChiSox59

I agree with the notion that the Front Office is posturing. This is likely a negotiating ploy. They did not trade a bunch of prospects, to acquire two guys, with only two years remaining, before free agency, to end up not being competitive this season.

They clearly intend to upgrade both the outfield and the offense. They need a clean up hitter, and Cespedes is probably the best bet. Moreover, why would Abreu be recruiting him, if they weren't seriously intent on acquiring him?

The question is; What kind of contract will it take? I still favor giving him more years, but with the contract front loaded, and an opt out, for the player after either the 2ND or 3RD year. We don't talk enough about the positive effect of having the player remain motivated, and playing for a contract, even after he signs one of these deals. It's just human nature to become a little complacent, after being guaranteed tens of millions of dollars.

If the Sox don't want to be locked into a long term deal, structure the contract in such a way that the player will not only be incentivized to stay motivated to perform, but also encouraged to leave, after that point at which you don't want to be on the hook. Of course there is no guarantee that he will, in fact, opt out, but at least you are providing a huge incentive for him to do so.

Again, how about something like $25 Million per year, for the first 3 years, with an opt out after 2 years? The final 3 years of the deal could be at something substantially less, like perhaps $15 Million per year. The end of that 2ND year would be very interesting, as Cespedes would have to weigh giving up the guarantee of big money, for one more year, in exchange for getting a better deal for the last years of the existing contract, or even extending it. Adding to the equation would be the weak free agent class, which would be expected to improve the following year.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
Per Jon Heyman, Giants are nearing a deal with Denard Span.

One less serious contender out there.

That would be huge. IMO the only other serious contenders if SF signs Span is Balt, LAA (who is up against the cap or spending limit), CHW, Det (ditto AF), and Wash.

I will say there been a more talk this week about Cespedes and the Nats. I just want Cespy

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
That would be huge. IMO the only other serious contenders if SF signs Span is Balt, LAA (who is up against the cap or spending limit), CHW, Det (ditto AF), and Wash.

I will say there been a more talk this week about Cespedes and the Nats. I just want Cespy

May want to add TEX to that list as well. Cap constricted but could happen.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
Well, if true, makes 0 sense.

Sure it does. If any of the OF had substantially better offers, they would have taken them. They hold their ground on the deal until someone offers more. Then they can raise it ,if needed.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
or maybe it's because they don't want to tie up 20-25% of their payroll on an inconsistent player coming off a career year (Cespedes) or a player that many scouts question their passion for the game (Upton)

Ding, Ding Ding!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
The weirdest thing to me has been Upton's clear coldness toward sox. He seems crazy to limit his market even further.

Has there been any real reports about that? I've heard he's not real keen on the Sox, but I think I just read that here. Not sure why he'd prefer Baltimore to Chicago.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
Ding, Ding Ding!

Which of the brothers Upton has the reputation of being a high talent, low work ethic dog? I know I have heard it, but for some reason can not recall if it is Justin or Melvin. I tried a search but each is maligned for various reasons.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
Which of the brothers Upton has the reputation of being a high talent, low work ethic dog? I know I have heard it, but for some reason can not recall if it is Justin or Melvin. I tried a search but each is maligned for various reasons.

Melvin/BJ.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)
I really like our chances. Only team that scares me is Detroit. LAA? I don't know

I think Detroit is sitting back just waiting. The owner is dirt old and wants to win. My gut says he just throws whatever the hell it takes to get him back there last second. They are playing their cards close but I think when it comes down to it they will wipe everyone out with their offer.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
I think Detroit is sitting back just waiting. The owner is dirt old and wants to win. My gut says he just throws whatever the hell it takes to get him back there last second. They are playing their cards close but I think when it comes down to it they will wipe everyone out with their offer.

That's my gut feeling as well.