Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...ing-up-momentum

Cespedes back to Mets momentum increasing

"Sign him to a five-year, $120 million contract with a two-year opt-out and a ton of deferred money.

Cespedes, 30, could claim victory -- he would get the long-term security he wants and a higher average annual value ($24 million) than Justin Upton ($22.125M).

The Mets would win, too -- the five-year term is shorter than Cespedes desires, the deferred money would lower the present-day value of the deal and the opt-out would ensure that the outfielder stays motivated."

You wouldnt think the Mets would be getting into more deferred payments to players, seeing how they are still so far in the hole that there is no light for like 20 years.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
I don't think the Mets have the money to get it done. He is using the Mets and the Nationals to drive up the price for the Sox and maybe someone else comes into the fold last minute on a gut move to sign him.

I feel like the Nationals are the biggest threat here. They probably have more money to spend than we do.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
C'mon, man. The White Sox are not signing Pedro Alvarez.

Eh, just thinking of alternatives to Desmond and giving up the pick. I don't mind the idea of giving Desmond a shot but he's just not worth the pick in my eyes. Alvarez would cost nothing but money and can probably be had for a one year deal to build value for a weak FA class next year. Who knows, if he hit well enough he could be worth a comp pick next winter.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
Me neither. Big money for someone who will be in best case scenario a slightly better than average OF.

I think he's having a real hard time finding a starting job... And suspect he would sign a pillow low value contract with the Sox to reestablish himself. I'm down with the risk reward proposition in this case.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Eh, just thinking of alternatives to Desmond and giving up the pick. I don't mind the idea of giving Desmond a shot but he's just not worth the pick in my eyes. Alvarez would cost nothing but money and can probably be had for a one year deal to build value for a weak FA class next year. Who knows, if he hit well enough he could be worth a comp pick next winter.

Laroche will probably be immensely better than Pedro Alvarez next season. They're not going to sink more $ into that type of player right now.

Source: #WhiteSox, Yoenis Cespedes Finalizing 4-Year Deal with 1 year option and opt-out after 2nd year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JakeBauer21/stat...852481816416256

Does this guy have any record of having stuff before the usual sources?

I'd feel better if bucket or rabbit could confirm this.