Jason Benetti, new Sox home PxP

Heads22

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
Just read the Chi Tribune front page article on Jason. Seems like a terrific hire. Although Jason seems to not want to be known as the guy with cerebral palsey - understandably - I'm kinda proud that the Sox would hire a guy on his ability in a world where some don't get jobs because of their disabilities.

There shouldn't be any reason to even mention that he has CP. I sincerely hope we don't start talking about it too much in fan circles.

I'm sure the guy wants to be treated just like everyone else, no harsher or softer. We owe him that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
That's your opinion. I prefer non cookie cutter announcers.

DA, I think this happens every year. I love Farmer and DJ. I have 2-3 gutbusting laughs from their sense of humor per game.

When a really intense part of a game occurs, I find DJs breakdown of hitter and pitcher thought process incredibly exciting and insightful.

But for everyone else, it's just "he's so dry and doesn't say the score enough". I never notice.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
I like Farmio. When we had tickets on club level we took the elevator with him several times. He's a really nice guy.

I'm sure he is indeed a nice guy, but he sucks as a radio announcer. One of the worst I've ever heard. Dryer than the driest of aged Italian salamis...

Can't believe the Sox have had him in that position for so long.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
Honestly, I haven't heard Benetti yet, or what his home run call is, but I would love he adopted the "You can put it on the board" call....and "He gone"...I'll never stop saying it, and I would miss saying it along with Hawk or whoever is on the TV..

For the most part I loved Hawkisms and he'll be missed when he finally goes.

He can't do that. Those phrases are directly tied to Hawk and it would sound stupid to hear someone else try to do it.

Jason has to have his own style. Hopefully it's good!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
DA, I think this happens every year. I love Farmer and DJ. I have 2-3 gutbusting laughs from their sense of humor per game.

When a really intense part of a game occurs, I find DJs breakdown of hitter and pitcher thought process incredibly exciting and insightful.

But for everyone else, it's just "he's so dry and doesn't say the score enough". I never notice.

They're so weird together that it's a good time.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
He can't do that. Those phrases are directly tied to Hawk and it would sound stupid to hear someone else try to do it.

Jason has to have his own style. Hopefully it's good!

So many of them have entered the standard baseball lexicon, that it would feel weirder to not have the Sox announcers do it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)

Once they got past the awkward stage, DJ and Farmer really are a good pairing.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm sure he is indeed a nice guy, but he sucks as a radio announcer. One of the worst I've ever heard. Dryer than the driest of aged Italian salamis...

Can't believe the Sox have had him in that position for so long.

That's his schtick....dry, dry, dry. I find him hilarious and also like DJ much better on the radio because of how much better chemistry he has with Farmio than he did Hawk.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
Yes, but can Benetti take the mantle from Swirsky and weave an everlasting devotion to the greatness of Steve Stone into the broadcast?

In fairness to the Swirsk, it's not like he had a lot of experience of his own to fall back on. He recognized his weaknesses, maybe a little too much, but he first filled in on almost zero notice.

This seems like a really good hire and I'm looking forward to the games. He sounds like a pro and he is a Sox fan. Since I grew up on "Holy Cow" and "You Can Put it on the Board YES!!", I am kind of hoping he comes up with a catchy home run call. He sounds great and he is one of us.

I love Hawk. I feel like I have been watching games with him. Mr. Benetti has big shoes to fill. Too bad there couldn't be a 3 man booth somehow or just move Hawk to color. It will seem weird having Jason only do half of the games.

I want Farmer moved to color. Farmer is awesome, but I have one big criticism of his play by play style. If I am working in the garage or driving down the highway distracted, sometimes I miss calls. His voice doesn't change enough when something actually happens. I want an increase in volume or inflection in his voice that can get my attention. His big calls are fine LIGHT EM UP!, but sometimes I will find out that there are runners on 1st and 3rd and have no idea how they got there. I wonder how DJ would do as play by play.

Congratulations Mr. Benetti. We need a nickname for him. Hawk can come up with something if Soxtalk doesn't.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
This seems like a really good hire and I'm looking forward to the games. He sounds like a pro and he is a Sox fan. Since I grew up on "Holy Cow" and "You Can Put it on the Board YES!!", I am kind of hoping he comes up with a catchy home run call. He sounds great and he is one of us.

I love Hawk. I feel like I have been watching games with him. Mr. Benetti has big shoes to fill. Too bad there couldn't be a 3 man booth somehow or just move Hawk to color. It will seem weird having Jason only do half of the games.

I want Farmer moved to color. Farmer is awesome, but I have one big criticism of his play by play style. If I am working in the garage or driving down the highway distracted, sometimes I miss calls. His voice doesn't change enough when something actually happens. I want an increase in volume or inflection in his voice that can get my attention. His big calls are fine LIGHT EM UP!, but sometimes I will find out that there are runners on 1st and 3rd and have no idea how they got there. I wonder how DJ would do as play by play.

Congratulations Mr. Benetti. We need a nickname for him. Hawk can come up with something if Soxtalk doesn't.

With Farmer and DJ I have a problem following the play of the game. They wander and ramble on so much with stories that sometimes I don't know what is happening in the game. Sorry guys, you need to go IMO.

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
With Farmer and DJ I have a problem following the play of the game. They wander and ramble on so much with stories that sometimes I don't know what is happening in the game. Sorry guys, you need to go IMO.

I know I'm in the minority but I think the ramblings and such makes it fun and enjoyable. If all I wanted is to see the play and results, the mlb or yahoo apps will tell you that. I listen to the radio to enjoy it