Padres Sign Alexei Ramirez

Sockin

There will be no defensive liability with Saladino. Period. That is what we know for sure. If he can give anything decent with the bat, then great. He's there for defense and that is what he will provide.

Can't make excuses about Minne's death. We have no idea why he he had a down year. And if it was Minnie who ruined his year, (like his father in law a year or two ago), how do we know it won't happen again? What if his dog gets hit by a car? Or the cat gets stuck in a tree all season? Then it would be kick ground ball city.

I love me some Lexi, but it was time. Hopefully we get another Cuban to replenish the roster.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I will miss about Alexei: Rifle arm, turning double play, stolen bases. Occasional clutch home run (more in his early years.) The Eaton fives.

What I won't miss about Alexei: Inability to draw a walk, zero plate discipline, baserunning blunder, the slow starts. And the Sox continues insistence in trying him in the 2 hole even though he doesn't take pitches, bunt, hit behind runners or do anything befitting a #2 hitter. His 10 million dollar salary. Better spent elsewhere.

Not worried about Tyler. No he won't be great. But he's a heady player. He can bunt, he can run. he can field. He'll be okay. But let's get that outfielder.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 12:24 AM)
I'm telling you, we need an upgrade at ss. Anybody out there?? An infield of Frazier, Lexi, Lawrie and MVP excites me as far as potential. An infield of Frazier, Offensive Black Hole/Defensive question mark, Lawrie and MVP is scary. I thought we wanted to contend. To keep Lexi it would have only taken 6-8 mill for one fricking year. I don't understand lest we sign Desmond.

Tyler is the upgrade at SS with his youth, range and strong arm. Desmond is a liability who's bat and glove have been regressing for three straight years now. Alexei's bat regressed last year and his defense has been regressing for three straight years. Don't fear change Greg, it will be OK.

Greg, what you seek is not an upgrade but a named player for a piece of mind. Simple as that.

Saladino will be the only non-veteran player in the lineup so if you think the Sox contending hinges on one Tyler Saladino then you're not seeing the big picture.

What I don't understand is how you were ok with making Thompson an every day outfielder and labeling him a "star" based on two months in the majors but your not ok with Saladino at SS. Look up their respective minor league numbers some time, you might be surprised at how similar they are with the bat. Both players are known for their defense with a few question marks in regards to their bats. If a fan was fine with the idea of letting Thompson have a chance at playing everyday ( I'm one of them) then I see no difference in letting Saladino have a chance to play everyday at SS.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 01:24 AM)
I'm telling you, we need an upgrade at ss. Anybody out there?? An infield of Frazier, Lexi, Lawrie and MVP excites me as far as potential. An infield of Frazier, Offensive Black Hole/Defensive question mark, Lawrie and MVP is scary. I thought we wanted to contend. To keep Lexi it would have only taken 6-8 mill for one fricking year. I don't understand lest we sign Desmond.

I don't that's the right way to look at it. What we need is another bat. I don't think it matters whether it's at SS or in the OF. Since Saladino can play defense, I don't think we NEED a SS.

Ultimately, if we truly stick to this ludicrous "three year deal limit," we may end up in a position to settle for Desmond instead of an OF. I'm not as down on Desmond as most here simply because his price has plummeted since 2014 -- a 3/36 or 2/24 might be a nice short-term upgrade there, and I think he'll bounce back to at least a league average bat with some extra power upside.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
If he's in his 30s, he'll have a bounceback year. Minnie's death ruined him. I never understand why fans think certain guys can bounce back (hopes for Dunn back in the day and now LaRoche and many assume Melky will return to stardom) but some guys can't return to greatness (Lexi)?

A big reason why guys like LaRoche and Dunn had a better chance to bounce back was because their value was based almost entirely on their power and ability to get on base. Those things tend to age well. Alexei's value is primarily based on speed and defense at a premium position. Those things tend to not age well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 12:24 AM)

I think Saladino is a utility guy but he's fine as a bridge to Anderson. Greg, the White Sox top prospect is a SS. I'd be pretty surprised if they add at the position. They'll go with Saladino until Anderson is ready and it's a fine decision.

Honestly, I feel comfortable saying I fully expect Saladino to provide more value than Alexei in the field and on the bases next year. The bat is certainly a wild card and has a non-zero chance of being a major problem for us, but I'm probably higher than most here about his offensive potential. If he can get on base at a decent clip and hit 10 HRs, he'll be more than passable in the nine spot.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
If he gets playing time, Saladino could put up decent numbers.

I'd say .255 10 HR 48 RBI 15 SB is a fair estimate.

Pretty comparable to 2015 Alexei numbers.

I expect more stolen bases than that. Probably in the 20 to 25 range. He may not be the fastest guy around, but he's an incredibly smart base runner. I believe he was top 5 in time from first to second on stolen base attempts.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
I expect more stolen bases than that. Probably in the 20 to 25 range. He may not be the fastest guy around, but he's an incredibly smart base runner. I believe he was top 5 in time from first to second on stolen base attempts.

Come to think of it I think Saladino was third behind Hamilton and someone else.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
If he gets playing time, Saladino could put up decent numbers.

I'd say .255 10 HR 48 RBI 15 SB is a fair estimate.

Pretty comparable to 2015 Alexei numbers.

I'd say more like .240, 8 HR, 40 rbi, 20 sb and good defense. Just my 2 cents on Saladino. Lexi is more productive with the bat, Saladino better with the glove. He is fine for this team in the short term imo.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
I'd say more like .240, 8 HR, 40 rbi, 20 sb and good defense. Just my 2 cents on Saladino. Lexi is more productive with the bat, Saladino better with the glove. He is fine for this team in the short term imo.

Baseball Reference has him at 7 HR in just 250 part time at bats next season.

If he's full time, he'll hit for a little power.

QUOTE (ronkark @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 12:05 AM)
What I will miss about Alexei: Rifle arm, turning double play, stolen bases. Occasional clutch home run (more in his early years.) The Eaton fives.

What I won't miss about Alexei: Inability to draw a walk, zero plate discipline, baserunning blunder, the slow starts. And the Sox continues insistence in trying him in the 2 hole even though he doesn't take pitches, bunt, hit behind runners or do anything befitting a #2 hitter. His 10 million dollar salary. Better spent elsewhere.

Well stated.

Mark

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 12:40 AM)
There will be no defensive liability with Saladino. Period. That is what we know for sure. If he can give anything decent with the bat, then great. He's there for defense and that is what he will provide.

Can't make excuses about Minne's death. We have no idea why he he had a down year. And if it was Minnie who ruined his year, (like his father in law a year or two ago), how do we know it won't happen again? What if his dog gets hit by a car? Or the cat gets stuck in a tree all season? Then it would be kick ground ball city.

I love me some Lexi, but it was time. Hopefully we get another Cuban to replenish the roster.

From all reports of those close to the team, Minnie's death severely affected Alexei in a way they saw previously with his brother in law. For some, death affects you differently. It's no reason to minimize someone with those stupid pet analogies just because you like a baseball team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
From all reports of those close to the team, Minnie's death severely affected Alexei in a way they saw previously with his brother in law. For some, death affects you differently. It's no reason to minimize someone with those stupid pet analogies just because you like a baseball team.

good post

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
Greg, what you seek is not an upgrade but a named player for a piece of mind. Simple as that.

What I don't understand is how you were ok with making Thompson an every day outfielder and labeling him a "star" based on two months in the majors but your not ok with Saladino at SS. Look up their respective minor league numbers some time, you might be surprised at how similar they are with the bat. Both players are known for their defense with a few question marks in regards to their bats. If a fan was fine with the idea of letting Thompson have a chance at playing everyday ( I'm one of them) then I see no difference in letting Saladino have a chance to play everyday at SS.

You are probably right about the first point. I prefer the name player in this case, Alexei. I feel like Saladino did not show enough in his 250 at bats last year to get a shot at a starting spot. Maybe Trayce will stink as well. I don't know why I liked him much more.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
Wow Sox clearly didn't want him back

Which I dont quite understand but whatever. Its nothing I am going to be mad about being he hasnt been the player we have needed the past couple years. He will probably have even more of a fall off next year as well.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
Which I dont quite understand but whatever. Its nothing I am going to be mad about being he hasnt been the player we have needed the past couple years. He will probably have even more of a fall off next year as well.

With a $4 million price tag, to me it means the White Sox are planning on spending that money differently. If they weren't planning on a major financial addition(s) bringing him back for $4 million would be a no brainer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
With a $4 million price tag, to me it means the White Sox are planning on spending that money differently. If they weren't planning on a major financial addition(s) bringing him back for $4 million would be a no brainer.

Interesting train of thought & I hope you're right. Really surprised me to see him only sign for $4M.

And just because people play a sport really well, doesn't mean they aren't human. It is selfish to assume otherwise.

My tongue was planted firmly in my cheek when I exaggerated to make my point about things affecting Alexei's concentration. Maybe that was in bad taste with dark humor but in my opinion humor knows no bounds. The point still stands, death is a fact of life we all have to deal with. Many have to deal with even greater tragedies and struggles while working far harder jobs, and they do not get the benefit of excuses being made for them by others. They just have to tough it out and cope with life. Alexei got a regular pass for an entire month of every season because it was cold.

To me it all kind of goes with the evaluation of players. Who can best get past all the dramas or distractions of life to hit and catch the baseball. We're all wannabe GM's here with our eval of players, hypothetical trades, our desired lineups. I'm pretty sure real GM's are not taking into account that a player needs a pass for an entire season because their personal grievance. If they did then Alexei would have probably been resigned by the Sox.

Reportedly the Sox didn't like how Alexei lost his concentration and made mental mistakes. Well, the reported reason he couldn't he play to their standards last season was Minnie's death.

Wasn't it reported later on that during Adam Dunn's historically bad season his son was dealing with some life threatening health problem? Doesn't seem like he gets a pass around here for that season. And being your child seems like it would be even tougher to cope with.

I love my latino brother Alexei. I wish him well. He is truly a stand up guy and didn't mean to minimize his pain. But you have to take into account how a player can get past distractions to perform on the diamond.