White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:45 PM)
Given how the last month has gone, we will surely see a tweet soon by Nightengale saying Sox won't give up draft pick to sign FA.

Didn't we already have that idea with everyone but Gordon/Upton months ago?

What changed?

Rumors of interest in Fowler and/or Desmond recently?

If the Sox are considering signing Desmond, and I don't doubt it. Am I crazy in thinking that if they are going to give the comp pick, then offer Desmond a multi-year contract and hope like hell he can somewhat get back to his old form? If they give up the comp pick, sign him to a 1 year contract and he tanks then the Sox won't get squat for him next year when he's a FA again.

Maybe offering something like 2 years guaranteed with a 3rd year team or mutual option could make giving up the comp pick worthwhile. Then begin praying he can regain some of his old form.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 01:58 AM)
If the Sox are considering signing Desmond, and I don't doubt it. Am I crazy in thinking that if they are going to give the comp pick, then offer Desmond a multi-year contract and hope like hell he can somewhat get back to his old form? If they give up the comp pick, sign him to a 1 year contract and he tanks then the Sox won't get squat for him next year when he's a FA again.

Maybe offering something like 2 years guaranteed with a 3rd year team or mutual option could make giving up the comp pick worthwhile. Then begin praying he can regain some of his old form.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
Desmond and Jackson train is in the station... All aboard!!

Yeah....

It's a broken down train that nobody would have ridden even a month ago, but now that it's leaving the station with no other options we're forced to jump aboard

Really, it's pathetic what we've resigned ourselves to as fans.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Yeah....

It's a broken down train that nobody would have ridden even a month ago, but now that it's leaving the station with no other options we're forced to jump aboard

Really, it's pathetic what we've resigned ourselves to as fans.

i really hate to say this, but we as fans has been condition for this kind of expectation.

but again, i can see a 1 yr at 27.5 mil for a salary.... but it is hard to swallow. but, the sox would have been a very formidable team to deal with.... and again, but the sox still need another hole or 2 to fix, but the owners do have that money to use......

as you can see i am flopping around as a fish out of the water.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
i really hate to say this, but we as fans has been condition for this kind of expectation.

but again, i can see a 1 yr at 27.5 mil for a salary.... but it is hard to swallow. but, the sox would have been a very formidable team to deal with.... and again, but the sox still need another hole or 2 to fix, but the owners do have that money to use......

as you can see i am flopping around as a fish out of the water.

I don't see how anyone can dog the Sox for not signing him. 27.5 million a year for him is ridiculous. Especially being if he has a good year he's gone, if he has a decent year he is probably gone. The only way he stays is if he sucks. Then we are on the hook for 42.5 over 2 years. Then the ones that are b****ing and moaning now (not saying anyone here) will be the ones that are b****ing and moaning over a bad contract having 21.5 million tied up in 1 guy that flopped completely.

It's like teachers with snow days... complain when they have to go to school when it snows, complain more when they have to make up days at the end of the year.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
I don't see how anyone can dog the Sox for not signing him. 27.5 million a year for him is ridiculous. Especially being if he has a good year he's gone, if he has a decent year he is probably gone. The only way he stays is if he sucks. Then we are on the hook for 42.5 over 2 years. Then the ones that are b****ing and moaning now (not saying anyone here) will be the ones that are b****ing and moaning over a bad contract having 21.5 million tied up in 1 guy that flopped completely.

It's like teachers with snow days... complain when they have to go to school when it snows, complain more when they have to make up days at the end of the year.

i can respect what you are saying, but beside the money aspects.... i would go with one part of this, with a comparison to another team.

last yr, the blackhawks traded for Vermette and the price was steep, a 1st rounder. but he provided a stabling force on another line and provided skills in some key games for another SC win. so in essence this was a trade of a 1rounder for a SC.... for me, a fair price to pay.

with Cespy..... this was or is a 27.5 mil contract for a yr and an opt ..... and he would provide many things for the sox, including the unknown, the future and a rep of a org that will want to win.

even who knows, maybe a chance to compete for a playoff berth, provide head to head media completion in chi again that 3 head monster from the northside and of the trickle down effect of fans coming to the part..... a lot of positives, that is what a key player can add or help to add with the other great players the sox have on the team already.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
i can respect what you are saying, but beside the money aspects.... i would go with one part of this, with a comparison to another team.

last yr, the blackhawks traded for Vermette and the price was steep, a 1st rounder. but he provided a stabling force on another line and provided skills in some key games for another SC win. so in essence this was a trade of a 1rounder for a SC.... for me, a fair price to pay.

with Cespy..... this was or is a 27.5 mil contract for a yr and an opt ..... and he would provide many things for the sox, including the unknown, the future and a rep of a org that will want to win.

even who knows, maybe a chance to compete for a playoff berth, provide head to head media completion in chi again that 3 head monster from the northside and of the trickle down effect of fans coming to the part..... a lot of positives, that is what a key player can add or help to add with the other great players the sox have on the team already.

Cespedes isn't a good enough player to warrant a deal like that. The White Sox set a price and didn't go past that. That's what smart organizations do. He also wanted to be in New York. People that are b****ing about not getting him would be b****ing about the contract had they signed him.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)

Exactly. Determine his reasonable value. Then, if circumstances demand it, even stretch beyond reasonable. I would have stretched a great deal because this team needs to finish the job and show some guts. But, if the Mets deal is as reported, that's looney tunes territory (for a team). You do that for a Mike Trout, or 2-3 others, but no way for a guy with Cespedes's track record.

I'd bet Greg's newest house that the Sox were trying until it got crazy (and sure sounds as if it would have taken even crazier to take him away from his NY preference).

I think we learn a lot about Hahn by seeing whether we strike quickly with Plan B. Plan A1-A3 were always unlikely, at best.

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
Smart organizations don't force themselves to improve through free agency and then complain about the market prices being too expensive.

When you don't produce talent from the minor league system, you become dependent on free agency to fill your holes. I'd like to think that's why the White Sox would put a higher premium on keeping these draft picks than giving them up for Fowler/Desmond, but their organization is trying to win and rebuild at the same time so I'll be surprised if they don't add at least one more offensive player to the mix.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
Exactly. Determine his reasonable value. Then, if circumstances demand it, even stretch beyond reasonable. But, if the Mets deal is as reported, that's looney tunes territory (for a team). You do that for a Mike Trout, or 2-3 others, but no way for a guy with Cespedes's track record.

I'd bet Greg's newest house that the Sox were trying until it got crazy (and sure sounds as if it would have taken even crazier to take him away from his NY preference).

I think we learn a lot about Hahn by seeing whether we strike quickly with Plan B. Plan A1-A3 were always unlikely, at best.

This would be fine if our core players didn't age but this patience will just guarantee a lost decade of white sox baseball. They could have decided to reload with Q but, this is the corner they backed themselves into.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
When you don't produce talent from the minor league system, you become dependent on free agency to fill your holes. I'd like to think that's why the White Sox would put a higher premium on keeping these draft picks than giving them up for Fowler/Desmond, but their organization is trying to win and rebuild at the same time so I'll be surprised if they don't add at least one more offensive player to the mix.

Doesn't help that they've struck out on their FA acquisitions at a stunning rate the last 5 years or so. Not sure who they have scouting MLB players on other teams, but that person(s) should never work in baseball again.

I am 100% okay with the Desmond + jackson/fowler route. That is essentially = to or close to Cespedes.

It would give us a more balanced line up.

However, I have serious doubts that they will get one or both of them. Just getting one of them really doesn't do a whole lot and I'd still be left feeling like the W'sox are half-assing the whole 'go for it now mode.'

The other acceptable route is through trade. Maybe sign desmond and trade for some OF.

I just feel like Desmond's only real choice is with us, so we should easily sign him.

And we still need some sort of OF.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
This would be fine if our core players didn't age but this patience will just guarantee a lost decade of white sox baseball. They could have decided to reload with Q but, this is the corner they backed themselves into.

All true. But once they backed themselves into this corner, committed to a plan, you finish it. Too bad. All got crazy for the so-called Big Three. Fine. Take a pass. Don't be insane. But finish the job elsewhere. To me, this means Jackson/Desmond. Yep, lose a pick. One stinkin pick (out of the three important picks). Chances of getting value out of the J/D combo are a lot better than value from that second pick. Besides, finish this year's plan since we've already committed!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
Doesn't help that they've struck out on their FA acquisitions at a stunning rate the last 5 years or so. Not sure who they have scouting MLB players on other teams, but that person(s) should never work in baseball again.

Good point as well - they are also making moves to replace/upgrade on FA acquisitions.

I don't know if they are willing to trade any additional minor league talent for major league help after the Frazier / Lawrie deals or if they will avoid players who cost draft picks, but I do think they will add another player or two to the team. Just not sure the quality if they have restrictions on what they are willing to do now in order to protect the minor league system.

Their only choice left is the White Sox, sounds somewhat familiar...

Without knowing what was offered for Q, it's impossible to say. Was the return going to be similar to Miller's or was that a one-time situation where the DBacks' front office was already quite familiar with him and bound and determined to get their guy come hell or high water?

Somehow I have a feeling the offer isn't lining up with Top 10-20 mlb pitcher statistically.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
All true. But once they backed themselves into this corner, committed to a plan, you finish it. Too bad. All got crazy for the so-called Big Three. Fine. Take a pass. Don't be insane. But finish the job elsewhere. To me, this means Jackson/Desmond. Yep, lose a pick. One stinkin pick (out of the three important picks). Chances of getting value out of the J/D combo are a lot better than value from that second pick. Besides, finish this year's plan since we've already committed!

100% agree with this.

Feels like a repeat of 2003 when they refused to pay Kenny Rogers....Twins scooped him up relatively cheaply and the fifth starter's spot killed us that year.

We could actually have a really good competitive with a 50/50 chance to make the playoffs at around a $144-146 million payroll or we can create even more skepticism and distrust from fans becoming increasingly frustrated with the direction of the franchise.

Say what you want about financial responsibility, but the Tigers and Royals are all-in and it feels like we're consigned to a permanent seat at the Thanksgiving kiddie table.

If this happens I will be content.

If they sign Fowler I will be so disappointed. Kid rather nothing than Fowler.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
I will say this, add Desmond & Jackson, and this offseason suddenly has shades of 2005 in terms of upgrading a ton of positions, many with value plays.

The irony is that's really what the Royals should have done, and KW used to do.

Buy veterans low, sell high on prospects.

So we now have the perfect opportunity to pick up both and still not jeopardize the future too much...the only question is whether that $25 million going to Cespedes or Upton can be allocated to two lesser players who won't create much marketing buzz but should win more games by upgrading multiple positions.