Ian Desmond Signs 1 Year 8M Deal with Rangers

southsider2k5

QUOTE (daggins @ Feb 27, 2016 -> 06:10 AM)
Sox brass probably reached out to Desmond to see if his price has dropped. Someone leaked to Rodriguez. There may be nothing or there may be something, but no one else is on it, so take that how you will.

No one leaked s*** to Mibelt because the guy has no sources.

Could be true. Could be not true. Sox could have actual interest in Desmond in LF and SS. Sox could be putting this out there as a negotiating tactic with Jackson. Desmond's people could be putting this out there. We might never know.

I still think Sox will add an OF to play more than Avi.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
Does this move them to 26?

There have been some good players picked at 26 including Alan Trammell 40 years ago.

this is going to be interesting as Desmond will be a LF. He did go to a good park to put up some numbers.

Yes it does. Updated my sig.

Also takes them out of a potential run at Austin Jackson.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)
Another one bites the dust. Cheap organization, man. Absolutely ridiculous. Go Avi...

There are several ways to look at this. Desmond might thrive, but his offense has gone down 3 years in a row. He is changing leagues. He has about 5 weeks to learn the OF. And he would have cost a draft pick for one season.

OTOH, his bat is potentially the biggest impact left on the market.

I just think he is worth more as a SS than OF. Of course, he could have been nice insurance if Rollins can't play anymore, Saladino can't hit enough to play, and Anderson not being ready. I am all for giving up the pick, but for one year makes it tough. It is no longer a bargain signing.

Assuming you are OK at SS, if the Sox need an OF, I would rather they get a guy who has been there. Desmond may be fine, but right now you can't be sure.

If the Sox could have got him for 1/$8 million, I think that would have been worth the draft pick.

So he turns down $107 million. Turns down the $15.8 million QO, and gets $8 million. Yet another player who needs a new agent. I hope his agent is decent enough not to take a commission.

Scott Boras got Ian Kennedy $70 million. I think Ian needs his number.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)
Are you sure it's 48 and not 49? Did you account for the Nats receiving a pick for Desmond?

Yeah when I started it I had it as all the players were signed already. I've been taking away picks as the offseason has gone by. Example: started with Sox at 33.

Edited by soxfan2014