2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this report, we are focused on offering 2 max contracts after this season (with the goal of showcasing a team that would be attractive to build around...i.e., teaming with Butler and what looks to be some other solid young core role playing type). I've heard of worse ideas, especially since Butler with two max type players would be a fantastic possibility (and it also means you get a good idea if Hoiberg is your guy or if you need to make a major move to hire a big name coach / front office person at the end of this season to help lead the FA efforts. By the way, if this is the case, we'll see Taj moved for picks / young players to add more parts that can be "showcased" which would be around longer-term.

“It’s all about ’17 for them,’’ a league source said.

The hope is the Bulls will be competitive this upcoming season, showing off Butler and Lopez, along with youth like Doug McDermott, Grant, and Denzel Valentine, who they landed with the 14th overall pick Thursday. And will take that package into the 2017 offseason with cap space for possibly two maximum players in a summer loaded with talented free agents such as Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Blake Griffin and Kyle Lowry.

The Bulls totally struck out in free agency even when they had a young promising nucleus and a dynamic uninjured Rose right? What stage of the franchise did they get Boozer? He was really just a "foul ball" in a free agency year that had what was considered a few home runs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
According to this report, we are focused on offering 2 max contracts after this season (with the goal of showcasing a team that would be attractive to build around...i.e., teaming with Butler and what looks to be some other solid young core role playing type). I've heard of worse ideas, especially since Butler with two max type players would be a fantastic possibility (and it also means you get a good idea if Hoiberg is your guy or if you need to make a major move to hire a big name coach / front office person at the end of this season to help lead the FA efforts. By the way, if this is the case, we'll see Taj moved for picks / young players to add more parts that can be "showcased" which would be around longer-term.

Ha, it would be so like the Bulls to go max on a guy like Blake Griffin, e.g., Carlos Boozer 2.0.

Man would this team be tougher to watch without Mirotic on it. He's had some flaws, but damn that guy can straight up win you games. At least at the aesthetic level, if the team isn't going to be great I want the guy who's going to drain some 35 footers

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
The Bulls totally struck out in free agency even when they had a young promising nucleus and a dynamic uninjured Rose right? What stage of the franchise did they get Boozer? He was really just a "foul ball" in a free agency year that had what was considered a few home runs.

Other than Wade/Lebron, Boozer was probably the next best thing. I wanted David Lee instead, but that probably would not have mattered.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
The Bulls have never netted a big time free agent. What makes anyone think they will suddenly entice one to sign next year?

Ben Wallace was pretty big. Pau was pretty big.

Other than the Lakers with Shaq and Miami/Cleveland with Lebron, when is the last legit, hall of fame caliber superstar that was traded/acquired? Chris Paul I suppose. Anyone else? It's extremely rare.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)

Other than the Lakers with Shaq and Miami/Cleveland with Lebron, when is the last legit, hall of fame caliber superstar that was traded/acquired? Chris Paul I suppose. Anyone else? It's extremely rare.

I'd say Dwight Howard. Carmelo didn't move teams, but if he had, he would have been a big one as well.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)

Kevin Garnett

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
The Bulls have never netted a big time free agent. What makes anyone think they will suddenly entice one to sign next year?

Dennis Rodman? 😝

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 34s34 seconds ago

ESPN sources say Pau Gasol, as expected, officially notified the Bulls today that he's declining his 2016-17 option and going to free agency

Gar should've been gone after he didn't trade Gasol. Just awful.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
Dennis Rodman? 😝

Even Rodman was seen on the down-swing of his career wasn't he?

You have to draft your superstar(s) to win championships. Butler might take another leap, but I don't think he's the best player on a championship team and they're not acquiring Durant, Steph, etc...so hitting that ping pong ball luck is the only chance really and you're not doing that with a 6-8 seed round 1 sweep every year which is what fearless leader GarPax is shooting to build. Welcome to NBA purgatory

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
Even Rodman was seen on the down-swing of his career wasn't he?

You have to draft your superstar(s) to win championships. Butler might take another leap, but I don't think he's the best player on a championship team and they're not acquiring Durant, Steph, etc...so hitting that ping pong ball luck is the only chance really and you're not doing that with a 6-8 seed round 1 sweep every year which is what fearless leader GarPax is shooting to build. Welcome to NBA purgatory

Rodman was a trade. Will Perdue.

Chris Collins would have a better chance landing 2 one and dones and competing for an NCAA title than Gar has of signing 2 max guys.

Gar said today that the Bulls have won more games the last 10 years than ny other team. That would be fine if there was a finals Appearance or 2, but is kind of hollow with the post Jordan playoff record. And oh by the way, what Gar said isn't even true. The guy seems to have a tough time with the truth.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
Rodman was a trade. Will Perdue.

Chris Collins would have a better chance landing 2 one and dones and competing for an NCAA title than Gar has of signing 2 max guys.

Gar said today that the Bulls have won more games the last 10 years than ny other team. That would be fine if there was a finals Appearance or 2, but is kind of hollow with the post Jordan playoff record. And oh by the way, what Gar said isn't even true. The guy seems to have a tough time with the truth.

Rodman points still stands, he was 34 when acquired. That wasn't like a CP3 trade.

But yeah, GarPax is the absolute worst. A 1% ping pong ball has given those guys jobs 5+ years longer than it should have. Wish JR would sell or give up decision making power, ruining 2 teams.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 34s34 seconds ago

ESPN sources say Pau Gasol, as expected, officially notified the Bulls today that he's declining his 2016-17 option and going to free agency

I thought that Gar was rebuilding! :o

KC Johnson on the Score this morning said that nothing he has heard or seen would indicate the Bulls are going to give any large contracts to anyone in FA. They are gearing up and clearing a ton of space for two years from now.

Cant Jimmy opt out two years from now?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)
KC Johnson on the Score this morning said that nothing he has heard or seen would indicate the Bulls are going to give any large contracts to anyone in FA. They are gearing up and clearing a ton of space for two years from now.

I think we'll see short deals for guys like Brandon Jennings and Evan Turner. Allows them to semi-compete in the East and possibly deal those guys in season if they wanted to.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
The smart play would be to tank and grab one of the big names in the 2017 draft. Apparently it's expected to be loaded one with franchise players all around.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2017-nba-mock-draft.html

Looks like a lot of first and second year collegiate players...not seeing all these potential franchise-altering superstars yet, guess we have to let the NCAA season play out first.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 06:09 AM)

No. And by two summers, I think they meant next off-season, although I might be wrong, but I had heard it was next year they were focused on. If they are focused on two years from now, it would really make there moves seem odd. If that was the point, they should be in pure draft pick accumulation mode. Butler's deal (a 5 year deal) has an opt out after the 4th season, so 3 seasons from now he can opt out.