White Sox to Move Eaton?

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Besides, he has 5 years of control. Those guys are not available. We have a thread.

For the longest time, we all knew the White Sox needed a leadoff hitter, with a high on base, who could run. The Sox get that, and he comes with GG quality defense. Sign him to a team friendly extension, has 5 years of control....quick, get rid of him. It will work out perfectly.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 08:59 AM)
It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Besides, he has 5 years of control. Those guys are not available. We have a thread.

I could go either way here, but with the way he plays I would be more surprised that this wasn't his career year.

But I don't think it's obvious and it would be a joy to watch him 5 more years, he could just as easily be a juan pierre type that finds himself with a long career as a speedy leadoff type.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
I could go either way here, but with the way he plays I would be more surprised that this wasn't his career year.

But I don't think it's obvious and it would be a joy to watch him 5 more years, he could just as easily be a juan pierre type that finds himself with a long career as a speedy leadoff type.

His offensive numbers the last 2 years were pretty consistent. He is what he is, and that is really good. He has a lot of control. He is not Juan Pierre at all. He draws walks and can throw, and hits home runs.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
Eaton has 5 years of control and costs nothing. Those are the exact guys you want to keep.

Speed/contact guys (who don't even swipe bags) that are 28 years old are not the type of players you should be keeping going into a rebuild. He'll be over 30 when we're good again. More likely than not, his skill set isn't going to age well.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
Or his value is at an all time high and might net you more than a few good prospects back. I'm fine with keeping Adam but if you get blown away by someone then go ahead and move him.

But you are pretty much hoping the prospects turn out as good as he has been. Considering his production and contract, I don't understand taking on the risk. If some of the mid level market teams traded their Adam Eatons before they made their runs, they would never had made their runs.

It would have to be a no doubt blown away offer, or it makes no sense.

I don't really want to move Adam Eaton, but in the back of my head, I don't know if his level of maturity would make him the kind of guy you want around during a rebuild. Dude was one of the big antagonists during the Adam LaRoche mess last year. It isn't hard to squint your eyes and see an Adam Eaton meltdown if Chris Sale is dealt.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
Speed/contact guys (who don't even swipe bags) that are 28 years old are not the type of players you should be keeping going into a rebuild. He'll be over 30 when we're good again. More likely than not, his skill set isn't going to age well.

This is also an interesting thought.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
But you are pretty much hoping the prospects turn out as good as he has been. Considering his production and contract, I don't understand taking on the risk. If some of the mid level market teams traded their Adam Eatons before they made their runs, they would never had made their runs.

It would have to be a no doubt blown away offer, or it makes no sense.

Those midmarket teams had a deep farm system behind their adam eatons. We have a single promising draft class 3 years away.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
I don't really want to move Adam Eaton, but in the back of my head, I don't know if his level of maturity would make him the kind of guy you want around during a rebuild. Dude was one of the big antagonists during the Adam LaRoche mess last year. It isn't hard to squint your eyes and see an Adam Eaton meltdown if Chris Sale is dealt.

Part of it was he was the player rep. According to Merkin, he is a great clubhouse guy. I know, what else is Merkin going to say, but he could say nothing. Eaton's supposed reputation as trouble is pretty much BS. The D-Backs had a bad clubhouse and unnamed players ripped everyone they traded from being too loud to being to quiet.

Adam Eaton is my favorite player on the team. With that being said, he's a speed player and much of his value comes from his throwing arm and he's 28 years old. I think they will only trade him if they received an absolute haul in return but if that's the case I'd be fine with doing it. I'm not sure that Adam Eaton is going to be a 5-6 WAR player over the next few seasons. Even if he's a 3-4 WAR player though he's an incredible value. If he gets moved, I think we'll be pleased with the return because I can't see him moving otherwise.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
Those midmarket teams had a deep farm system behind their adam eatons. We have a single promising draft class 3 years away.

Isn't trading Sale etc. supposed to change that?

I understand people would love to read how Keith Law raves about the White Sox minor leaguers, but it doesn't always translate to huge runs. Giving up good players with a lot of control for prospects is playing with fire.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
Although I do agree with the post that said his skill set might erode over time. A grinder type player like him relies on speed and athleticism, and those are skills that typically get worse at or over the age of 30. Who's to say he'll still be the same player when the Sox are good again.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
Adam Eaton is my favorite player on the team. With that being said, he's a speed player and much of his value comes from his throwing arm and he's 28 years old. I think they will only trade him if they received an absolute haul in return but if that's the case I'd be fine with doing it. I'm not sure that Adam Eaton is going to be a 5-6 WAR player over the next few seasons. Even if he's a 3-4 WAR player though he's an incredible value. If he gets moved, I think we'll be pleased with the return because I can't see him moving otherwise.

I don't think Eaton relies on speed that much. He's really just a good contact hitter with a great arm. Sure, his speed affects him on defense, but the marginal speed decrease that will come as he ages won't affect it that much.

Even if he was some big base-stealer or speed guy, plenty of those guys still play well with age. Take Juan Pierre, for example.

I'm not necessarily worried about his skill set eroding(though I do worry a bit about him killing himself running into a wall or something) and I agree that the clubhouse s*** is mostly bs but I'm just open to trade anyone especially when there's a possibility said player is at their peak value. I'm certainly not saying to go out and trade him for anything but we should be open to the idea of trading him if it brings us a nice package of players back.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
I don't think Eaton relies on speed that much. He's really just a good contact hitter with a great arm. Sure, his speed affects him on defense, but the marginal speed decrease that will come as he ages won't affect it that much.

Even if he was some big base-stealer or speed guy, plenty of those guys still play well with age. Take Juan Pierre, for example.

Eaton would cost a ton in a trade. 5 years of control for a gold glove outfielder who hits, gets on base, can run and has 15 home run pop.

Unless overwhelmed I would not trade him