2017 International Signings

NCsoxfan

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
Hard part is, it is still tough to evaluate. Tatis Jr. looks promising (unfortunately he's a Padre). It takes a long time for these guys to become much of anything and it really hasn't been that long since the whole Wilder fiasco and the related scandal, then add in the fact that Paddy hasn't been around that long (in the scheme of developing 16 year old kids...you really are talking 5-7 years of doing your thing in a space before you get a good idea). We should be at the point where we start seeing some of these guys emerge as they come into the states though and I'm hoping that is a trend we start to see here in 2017 / 2018 (as we are getting to that point in the window, imo).

I feel like Sox fans are overrating Tatis Jr. because they're unhappy with how the Shields trade went. I still think he's not really a big time prospect. Had he remained on the White Sox, I doubt he'd be getting much attention.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
I feel like Sox fans are overrating Tatis Jr. because they're unhappy with how the Shields trade went. I still think he's not really a big time prospect. Had he remained on the White Sox, I doubt he'd be getting much attention.

There is one writer out there that is throwing fuel on that fire on top of it with a rating of Tatis MUCH higher than anyone else. It will be interesting to see how the kid plays out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
And that writer has never seen him play.

To be fair, if you listen between the lines of Rick Hahn, I don't know that he sees most of the kids he talks about in person either. You always hear him and Kenny talk about their scouts seeing guys, and then Kenny is the guy who goes to see them to make a final decision. If you trust your scouts, you trust your scouts. That doesn't matter if you are a writer or GM.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
I was saying that they would be in the penalty phase if they go out and get Robert.

Which is perhaps a plan. If they aren't committed to big bonuses for other players, they can't renege if they suddenly have a $300k limit. So it works a couple of ways. Other teams locked in can't get this guy if he's available because they will be up against their limit.

The Sox can battle with the teams that are already over, and they can be in a position to offer the most if his eligibility is delayed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
There is one writer out there that is throwing fuel on that fire on top of it with a rating of Tatis MUCH higher than anyone else. It will be interesting to see how the kid plays out.

It is more then just one writer. I don't define success as being on a top 100 list, I define it more long-term, that said, in the near term, success is having positive reports come out and Tatis has been on the end of multiple positive reports over the past 12 months (not just from Keith Law). Many scouts have had positive things to say about his potential. He shouldn't be anywhere near a top 100 list because he is still very raw, but the tools are very much there to the fact that you could see him turning into a good asset in the long-term.

I also was one of the most vocal people at the deadline regarding how bad it was to sell Tatis for Shields.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
The Sox are not in the penalty phase. They can spend their allotment however they like.

He's saying for this period. Lets pretend that Robert gets cleared on Saturday. The Sox could sign him for huge money but they could only sign players for 300K or less in upcoming period then.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)

Keith Law has him at #47 in front of Vlad Jr.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
Literally the only guy who had him anywhere near 100.

Not sure what Tatis has done to warrant top 50 prospect status over far more proven prospects in Law's eyes

He put up decent numbers in 55 games of rookie ball and low A, but he has a very long way to go before hitting the majors

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)

Badler said the Sox are the team that comes up the most in discussions about where he might land. He says Sox haven't really been linked to any of the big names for 17-18 period and would have more bonus pool $$ available than everyone else. He also said that if he's cleared prior to June 15, the Sox may just sign Robert anyway and blow through their 2016-2017 pool since it wouldn't affect their 17/18 plans. Very interesting.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Badler said the Sox are the team that comes up the most in discussions about where he might land. He says Sox haven't really been linked to any of the big names for 17-18 period and would have more bonus pool $$ available than everyone else. He also said that if he's cleared prior to June 15, the Sox may just sign Robert anyway and blow through their 2016-2017 pool since it wouldn't affect their 17/18 plans. Very interesting.

That is very interesting, I had not even thought about that. If you are going to basically be forced to have him be your entire 2017 class anyway, why would it matter if you sign him prior and lose that class? Honestly maybe it's even better, we could then still sign a bunch of 300k guys in 2017 and not be capped like we would be otherwise.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)

The White Sox, though, are different. They have been laying low for the high-priced talent in the 2017-18 signing period. If Robert is not cleared until after June 15, the White Sox would have more room than most in their bonus pool to sign him. Even if Robert is cleared during the current signing period, the White Sox might just blow through their bonus pool to sign him anyway, since it wouldn’t affect their July 2 plans.

Um, ok. Sure.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
I feel like an idiot for not recognizing this. And kudos to Paddy and Hahn if this works out or even if it is the plan as it sounds like it's worth risk.

I thought about this possibility and mentioned it. I thought they had agreements with guys though from the way that Paddy, Hostetler, and Hahn were talking and that gave me pause.