The Yolmer-Moncada Predicament

ron883

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:07 PM)
Isn't Sanchez a good enough defender to play 3rd base? I would play him there if the bat keeps up, Saladino as utility.

I always thought of Sanchez as a 2B/SS who doesn't have the arm for 3B. Isn't Saladino/Davidson our go-to "non-Frazier" 3B option?

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 17, 2017 -> 02:33 AM)
Sanchez is a utility player was a AAAA type player until his hot streak. Ride him until he goes cold then it's Delmonico time.

Delmonico has a major defensive problem so far in AAA

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:33 PM)
Sanchez is a utility player was a AAAA type player until his hot streak. Ride him until he goes cold then it's Delmonico time.

Or.....branding young players as failures, utility players or AAAA players because they don't find success right away at the highest level is silly? Yes it is a hot streak or maybe it's a breakout .

I understand the need to analyze or tap the scout in all of us but it isn't very astute to say what you see is what you got forever.

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 16, 2017 -> 09:52 PM)
Yolmer has shown to be an above average fielder and his bat has been awesome this year. How does this impact what we do with moncada? If yolmer keeps it up, how can they move him?

The Henry Cotto-Ken Griffey Jr Predicament

Henry has shown to be an above average fielder and his bat has been awesome this year. How does this impact what we do with Ken Griffey Jr? If Henry keeps it up, how can they move him?

Maybe this will help shed some light on this situation?! : )

QUOTE (FT35 @ May 17, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)

Henry has shown to be an above average fielder and his bat has been awesome this year. How does this impact what we do with Ken Griffey Jr? If Henry keeps it up, how can they move him?

LOL!

But where would he play?!?!?

Certainly don't mean any disrespect to the op, ron883. All fun. Sometimes we do miss the forest through the trees. I'm glad Yolmer is playing well enough to prompt this thought in someone's mind. That's a GOOD thing!

QUOTE (FT35 @ May 17, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)

Henry Cotto. My memory of him is that a long time ago he was sitting on the bench, found a Q-Tip, was cleaning his ear, went too deep and punctured his ear drum, ending up on the DL.

Really happy for Yolmer, learned each time he came up. I thought he just didn't have it after last year. He is truly a joy on the field.

I just wish the dude had an arm. I'd have no doubt he'd be a consistent major leaguer through his arb years if he could just play SS/3B.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 16, 2017 -> 10:55 PM)
I'd imagine one of Sanchez/Saladino will eventually stay as a backup IF and the other will be traded (probably not for much, but better than nothing)

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 16, 2017 -> 11:33 PM)
Nothing, but nothing, will block Mr. Moncada from claiming second base at that point when management feels he's ready for the promotion.

These two posts sum it up best. See, no predicament now and all is well in Soxland. Anyone playing second right now is merely keeping the position warm until Moncada comes up.

When Moncada comes up, I think 3B will be split mainly between Saladino and Yolmer. They'll both get looks at 2B and SS when Tim and Moncada need breathers.

Having too many useful guys isn't a problem. I doubt either will be traded. Both wouldn't have much value, and they're cheap. Makes more sense to keep them unless someone wants to give up something interesting.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
When Moncada comes up, I think 3B will be split mainly between Saladino and Yolmer. They'll both get looks at 2B and SS when Tim and Moncada need breathers.

Having too many useful guys isn't a problem. I doubt either will be traded. Both wouldn't have much value, and they're cheap. Makes more sense to keep them unless someone wants to give up something interesting.

Also, after Frazier is dealt.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
Yolmer probably isn't this good, but he's also not as bad as his previous years' performances would suggest. It will be tricky to find him at-bats once Moncada is up.

24 game sample size is too small to make any sort of determination about Sanchez

More than likely this is a hot streak, although his defense has been very good as well. He's probably a utility player moving forward, although with the potential to be a quality one.