Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:39 PM)
Totally get this point of view.

But looking at it like giving away 3 above average MLB regulars for a kid in A ball seems scary. Need to see a little deadline desperation piece added.

No less projectable than Jimenez. And we didn't give up anyone of real value to get him. If its a career year for Kahnle this is a total steal. Frazier and Robertson have no value to the existing team and would be gone if they stayed till end of their contracts anyway.

I am surprised the Yankees would move a top prospect for that package. Usually those guys are off limits except for elite/all star caliber vets.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)
No? They were trying to compete.

Should have changed it to green to show sarcasm. He's using 2014 and 2015 picks as comparison, but they were trying to compete then. If he can use data that makes no sense, I will as well

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:42 PM)
Levine says Sox will get 4 players in this deal.. we seem to know 3 of them

If only one more it's got to be someone in the Yanks top 15. Hoping for either Florial or Andujar, but wouldn't be too surprised if it was Mateo

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:45 PM)
Should have changed it to green to show sarcasm. He's using 2014 and 2015 picks as comparison, but they were trying to compete then. If he can use data that makes no sense, I will as well

Oh I thought you were the guy arguing they should be winning lol my bad

I see that Clippard is in the final year of his contract, and was only owed $4.25 million this year. That's not much of a negative.

Maybe he can help bridge the gap, the rest of the year, as the Sox are going to need someone to pitch, and I don't think that they are anxious to call up the young studs. Clippard hasn't really pitched that badly, except for that inflated ERA.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 07:45 PM)
If only one more it's got to be someone in the Yanks top 15. Hoping for either Florial or Andujar, but wouldn't be too surprised if it was Mateo

ANY of those three would be a massive WIN

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:46 PM)
I see that Clippard is in the final year of his contract, and was only owed $4.25 million this year. That's not much of a negative.

Maybe he can help bridge the gap, the rest of the year, as the Sox are going to need someone to pitch, and I don't think that they are anxious to call up the young studs. Clippard hasn't really pitched that badly, except for that inflated ERA.

Exactly. Someone has to pitch.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:42 PM)
Are you suggesting the Astros haven't benefited from tanking?

I'm saying they may have squandered fan interest and player development in the service of trying to save the owner money. They were in a rather different position to both Cubs and Sox though because they never really had a big moment where they started trading good veterans to get prospects like Cubs and Sox were able to do to kickstart things.

To be clear, my argument wasn't that you go for it every year, but that the reason rebuilding works has little to do with draft position. It's that you stockpile your system by trading veterans and prioritizing the development of your minor leaguers. You will lose and get good draft picks because of that, but there are real benefits to squeezing out a few more wins with the MLB club when it comes to giving the people who watch the games on TV and in the ballpark something worth seeing. From a development standpoint, I think it helps the players to win whenever they can—I also think some pitchers benefit psychologically from not seeing their leads pissed away by awful bullpens.

I'm of the opinion that the benefits of winning a little bit more are usually better than picking 2th instead of 5th or whatever.