2017-2018 MLB player movement rumors and reports

southsider2k5

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 12:00 AM)
What a joke Boras comments were. He always manages to find a sucker. Hosmer deal already looks bad just imagine what it will look into his mid 30's.

If I'm Dickerson and I become a FA I tell teams my stats are comparable to Hosmer he got 8 years I'd settle for 7.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-padres-sig...-045527963.html

$144 million...first $100+ mill deal in franchise history. $18 million aav, less than Carlos Santana at $20 million. Wil Myers at $83 million was record holder until Saturday.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports...0216-story.html

Edited by caulfield12

Royals likely sign Mous and Morrision ? Perhaps.

Not a terrible deal for the Pads, but not good on any account.

Really, really odd what the Rays are doing. Kind of pathetic, TBH. DROP Dickerson and trade Ordizzi for nothing. UGLY

Edited by iWin4Ron

Why would anyone sign a non-elite 1B to an 8 year deal in this day and age? I get that Hosmer provides some nice intangibles, but that doesn’t rationalize this type of investment. The Padres will eventually regret this IMO.

Also, wish we would have extended Abreu when good 1B/DH we’re only getting three to four year deals. If Jose reaches free agency, he’s going to get an offer that makes us uncomfortable.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 08:14 AM)
Why would anyone sign a non-elite 1B to an 8 year deal in this day and age? I get that Hosmer provides some nice intangibles, but that doesn’t rationalize this type of investment. The Padres will eventually regret this IMO.

Also, wish we would have extended Abreu when good 1B/DH we’re only getting three to four year deals. If Jose reaches free agency, he’s going to get an offer that makes us uncomfortable.

At his age at free agency? Idk about that.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 01:22 AM)
The AAV isn't bad, but something closer to 5 yrs/$90M makes a lot more sense to me. Assuming he doesn't opt out, those last 3-4 years may be really rough.

His ascent last year was mainly BABIP driven they probably regret it year one. It really isn't hard to find a .800 ish OPS 1B who can play adequate defense.

The worst part of the contract is the fact it's front loaded with an optout. So essentially he gets 5 years 101 million AND the option to opt in for 3/39 if he bombs.

This contract has zero chance of ever working out for the Padres.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 08:28 AM)
At his age at free agency? Idk about that.

At some point the amount of teams tanking is going to self-correct and the prices of free agents will go up. We are already starting to see some last-place teams like the Phillies & Padres make expensive additions. Two years from now I could definitely see Abreu geting something like a 5/$100M deal. Given that would cover his age 33 to 37 seasons, matching that would certainly make me feel uncomfortable.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 10:00 AM)
At some point the amount of teams tanking is going to self-correct and the prices of free agents will go up. We are already starting to see some last-place teams like the Phillies & Padres make expensive additions. Two years from now I could definitely see Abreu geting something like a 5/$100M deal. Given that would cover his age 33 to 37 seasons, matching that would certainly make me feel uncomfortable.

No way is Abrue going to command that at 33 years old. Not even close. Remember Jose at that age can only play for American League team because he is going probably going to be a part time and defiantly full time DH in a few years. And if the Sox want him not a doubt in my mind he will give us a home town discount.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 09:20 AM)
No way is Abrue going to command that at 33 years old. Not even close. Remember Jose at that age can only play for American League team because he is going probably going to be a part time and defiantly full time DH in a few years. And if the Sox want him not a doubt in my mind he will give us a home town discount.

I could see Abreu at 4/$84M or something.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 03:14 PM)
Why would anyone sign a non-elite 1B to an 8 year deal in this day and age?.

When have the owners not overpaid? Talk of the free agent market drying up is silly. It may have slowed because of all the tanking teams, but in the final analysis they all get their money.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 11:31 AM)
you think he'll get 3 more mil AAV than Hosmer? 21 vs. 18

Abreu is the better player IMO and the last three years of Homser’s deal are really more of an safety net for him. I mean Carlos Santana just got a $20M AAV, Jose getting an extra $1M two years doesn’t seem very far-fetched.

I totally agree with the notion as well the Jose is worth more to us than he is to anyone else. If we show progress this year and the whole Cuban mentor thing is a thing, I have a hard time not seeing him here in the future, and selfishly I hope that is the case.

In terms of value as a free agent, he's 31, but lets not act like .301 career hitters that have stayed largely healthy, have over 100 RBI every single year for a team that has been terrible, has been top 10 in slugging in the AL 3 of his 4 years (top 4 during two of those years). He's basically what we've hoped every other dude we have signed in FA would turn out to be. Moreover, the whole Cuban thing. It'll be interesting to see how things play out with Jose, but if we have a good developmental year, and Jose has another good year, we have some money to spend and I think he'd be a priority.