2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Jesus Christ those popups are worse than the Sun Times. Totally unclosable and rendered the article unreadable. My goodness Denver that was awful.

31 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jesus Christ those popups are worse than the Sun Times. Totally unclosable and rendered the article unreadable. My goodness Denver that was awful.

There is a common thread between those two papers.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Same company? Jose Abreu?

Series of owners that have stripped all of the cash out and left it to dry, general contempt for the product. They are working to update it but in both cases would need to invest again to change it.

I hope there's severe backlash if the Sox trade Abreu. There's absolutely no reason for it. The rebuild is moving along. Trading him for prospects would be quite stupid when he'd be a veteran presence needed to win anything of significance. If they trade Abreu that's just a disgusting thought is all I can say. I guess there are rebuild fanatics who would love such a trade but it sickens me.

Zips rest of schedule update projections.  These are what they are now projecting rest of the way based on what the system has seen so far this year.

It's pretty clear from that link that the Sox have about 5 position players worthy of a roster spot and about 10 that are replacement level.   Yolmer, TA, Jose, Moncada, Castillo and maybe you could add Davidson if you think ZIPS doesn't have enough info on his new swing and approach.

Moncada is already our best player.  That's a good thing for the tank and long term.

44 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I hope there's severe backlash if the Sox trade Abreu. There's absolutely no reason for it. The rebuild is moving along. Trading him for prospects would be quite stupid when he'd be a veteran presence needed to win anything of significance. If they trade Abreu that's just a disgusting thought is all I can say. I guess there are rebuild fanatics who would love such a trade but it sickens me.

Dude you can say this about the other trades they have made.

11 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

But the ball is the exact same!!!!1!!

Someof it the ball. Some of it is the different philosophy of hitting. Today strimeouts and swining for homeruns on every pitch is the preferred way. This is drastically different from other eras when sacrificing power for hits and manufacturing runs was preferable.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, greg775 said:
QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 09:29 PM)
Yep, also cost us Tatis Jr.

Ugh. Sox lost Tatis Jr. because the GM traded him in a stupid move. Why does Hahn get such a free pass on here? If you are being serious, I would be amazed. It's a stretch to blame the Sox for starting quickly and the GM thinking he was adding a piece for the playoffs. I blame the guy who made the trade.

A lot of the White Sox fanbase have a lovefest with Hahn. More importantly Hahn has JR in his corner. The Hahn lovefest absolutely baffles me. Hahn has been the White Sox GM  for 6 years. The White Sox have not been in the playoffs during his 6 years. Nor has the team finished with a winning record any of his 6 years. He would have been gone from most other MLB teams by now if he was as unsuccessful with those teams as he has been here.

6 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

A lot of the White Sox fanbase have a lovefest with Hahn. More importantly Hahn has JR in his corner. The Hahn lovefest absolutely baffles me. Hahn has been the White Sox GM  for 6 years. The White Sox have not been in the playoffs during his 6 years. Nor has the team finished with a winning record any of his 6 years. He would have been gone from most other MLB teams by now if he was as unsuccessful with those teams as he has been here.

You also don’t know what level of control Hahn had during those early years and how much Reinsdorf influenced decision making.  We know the front office proposed rebuilding a while ago and it seems like Jerry told them to make one last run at things but didn’t really give them the budget to accomplish that task.  And by no means am I giving Hahn a free pass, but right now I’m in wait and see mode.  I like the moves he’s made so far.  Having said, if the rebuild fails, he will most definitely be gone and deservedly so.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You also don’t know what level of control Hahn had during those early years and how much Reinsdorf influenced decision making.  We know the front office proposed rebuilding a while ago and it seems like Jerry told them to make one last run at things but didn’t really give them the budget to accomplish that task.  And by no means am I giving Hahn a free pass, but right now I’m in wait and see mode.  I like the moves he’s made so far.  Having said, if the rebuild fails, he will most definitely be gone and deservedly so.

There might be some truth to what you say about the level of control Hahn has had.  Steve Stone usually puts Hahn and Kenny Williams together in all of his conversations about this rebuild.

4 hours ago, WBWSF said:

They love him because we are rebuilding. Rebuilding is fun. No pressure on a fan. We can lose, lose lose and when Cub fans mock the Sox, we can say, "Hey we WANT to lose. We want to get the best draft picks we can." This rebuild stuff has made Hahn so popular. Benetti said on a podcast Hahn was the most popular person at Soxfest. Fans were just simply worshiping him. The Hahn lovefest will continue forever. If the Sox in 2020 suck they can just say the rebuild is taking longer than we thought. Plus the key players in the rebuild have all the time in the world to get good. Nobody better criticize our young guys until their fifth season in the bigs. Even then I'd bet people will not criticize the key pieces of our rebuild if they are struggling. My point? Hahn should be walking on eggshells and he's not. He's one of the most popular peeps in modern White Sox history.

• Like 1

Fulmer and Giolito have been bad so far. I can't help but wonder if both of these pitchers  don't start improving will they  be sent down to the minors? I'm not surprised at Fulmers performance but I was expecting Giolito to be a decent starter. His ERA is over 7. If this keeps up I wonder if it might be best to send him down.

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

They love him because we are rebuilding. Rebuilding is fun. No pressure on a fan. We can lose, lose lose and when Cub fans mock the Sox, we can say, "Hey we WANT to lose. We want to get the best draft picks we can." This rebuild stuff has made Hahn so popular. Benetti said on a podcast Hahn was the most popular person at Soxfest. Fans were just simply worshiping him. The Hahn lovefest will continue forever. If the Sox in 2020 suck they can just say the rebuild is taking longer than we thought. Plus the key players in the rebuild have all the time in the world to get good. Nobody better criticize our young guys until their fifth season in the bigs. Even then I'd bet people will not criticize the key pieces of our rebuild if they are struggling. My point? Hahn should be walking on eggshells and he's not. He's one of the most popular peeps in modern White Sox history.

Which they should fully understand since they averaged under 70 wins from 2010-2014 and that allowed them to draft Schwarber and Bryant

The Sox are trying to keep the team respectable, which is understandable. The fan base can become demoralized with  too many losses and some of us are there already.

My question is this: 

Should the Sox use fringey major league talent to fill-out the roster (Engel , Delmonico, Narvaez, Trayce Thompson, Davidson, Palka..)  ? Or should they start replacing some of the marginal talent with unproven young prospects  that might have initial failure but would provide more interest to fans ?   If  prospects  are "not ready"   maybe they should be told -  "get your shoes on , you're goin' in."  Baptism by fire or what have you.

2 hours ago, tray said:

The Sox are trying to keep the team respectable, which is understandable. The fan base can become demoralized with  too many losses and some of us are there already.

My question is this: 

Should the Sox use fringey major league talent to fill-out the roster (Engel , Delmonico, Narvaez, Trayce Thompson, Davidson, Palka..)  ? Or should they start replacing some of the marginal talent with unproven young prospects  that might have initial failure but would provide more interest to fans ?   If  prospects  are "not ready"   maybe they should be told -  "get your shoes on , you're goin' in."  Baptism by fire or what have you.

No Tray, any suggestion of bringing up prospects is met with pure disdain on this site. Nope. Nobody wants to see any of the core rebuild guys for some time to come.

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Maybe...maybe not...all depends on who the owner is three/four years from now.

The right owner buying this team would add a lot of excitement/hope to the south side. Jerry gave us one title; wish he'd sell to somebody with lotsa cash willing to spend it feverishly.