5/7 games

reiks12

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

2-run HR for Collins. He should be 3 for 3 with a HR, 2B, single, and 2 BB. But instead the CF made a great catch and robbed a double from him earlier.

I will take the 2 for 3 with a hard hit ball as an out.  I am hoping this good stretch is a trend....he has really been swinging a good bat.

58 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If we could get Moncada, Collins, Sheets, and even Basabe playing on the same team, that’s hella beastly OBP team.

Yes, and with the two switch hitters, we'd have 4 LH bats in the top half of the lineup, versus RHP. That works for me!!!

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think I was gone when this happened. So was Flete injured and reactivated? Looks like he's mostly taking Trey M's at bats? 

Yeah he had a minor injury, was re-activated a day or two ago (Mason Robbins was sent to Charlotte).

Trey has become essentially a utility infielder now.

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Yeah he had a minor injury, was re-activated a day or two ago (Mason Robbins was sent to Charlotte).

Trey has become essentially a utility infielder now.

I just find it crazy how reasonable Trey Ms slashline is. I remember snarking when Getz at Soxfest said they think he'll be a better hitter by keeping him engaged by moving him around the infield. It kinda worked? Oh well.

6 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If we could get Moncada, Collins, Sheets, and even Basabe playing on the same team, that’s hella beastly OBP team.

Even if the Sox don't resign Abreu, or Avi and don't sign a free agent, it's conceivable that their lineup could still be very impressive and look something like this in 2021:

2B  Moncada
CF  Robert
DH  Jimenez
C    Collins
RF  Adolfo
1B  Sheets
SS  Anderson
3B  Burger
LF  Basabe

Add to that list, any trade acquisitions and free agents, plus potential regulars, Rutherford, Zevala and our #4 pick (India), and you have to be excited. I do hope that they take India and he replaces Anderson in 2021, if he is better than Tim, or Burger, if he turns out to be a bust. That lineup has speed, high OBP, power and nice balance on both sides of the plate. If Sheets doesn't make it, Jimenez might end up at first base. In any case, with the crowded outfield of prospects, it seems doubtful that Jimenez will be in the outfield. He is probably better suited for first base, especially with Adolfo's arm in RF,  Robert and Basabe patrolling CF & LF.

The point is; how these top prospects develop, coupled with the upcoming draft, is not only very intriguing, but extremely important for the future window of contention, which may not have much of our current roster. It all makes it seem much easier to watch this losing season, doesn't it?

17 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Sheets needs to start hitting some dingers if he wants to keep moving up the ranks.

He did hit 21 HRs at Wake Forrest last year. Not sure if it's an issue with transitioning to wooden bat. Somebody who has watched him play can provide some insight here. Though with that kind of plate discipline and contact ability he just needs to hit 15 HRs a year to be an MLB regular.

20 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Sheets needs to start hitting some dingers if he wants to keep moving up the ranks.

Of course, you're absolutely right. However, I can't imagine that his power won't come, if he continues to hit and get on base. He is a very big and strong youngster. I'd worry more about his not being able to continue to make contact. 

22 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

He did hit 21 HRs at Wake Forrest last year. Not sure if it's an issue with transitioning to wooden bat. Somebody who has watched him play can provide some insight here. Though with that kind of plate discipline and contact ability he just needs to hit 15 HRs a year to be an MLB regular.

I’m no swing expert, but from what I’ve seen his doesn’t generate much loft.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Indeed.  It was something he was working on over the off-season.  I recall reading about it during the hitters mini-camp.

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So if it's a launch angle issue rather than a power issue, then it could be corrected overtime. My concern is he's not making hard contact at all or that he's not generating the same power switching to wooden bat.

48 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

So if it's a launch angle issue rather than a power issue, then it could be corrected overtime. My concern is he's not making hard contact at all or that he's not generating the same power switching to wooden bat.

I’ve probably watched him close to a dozen times this year and it just doesn’t seem like his current swing is geared for elevating the ball.  Again, I’m not a swing expert by any means, but when I watch Basabe, Adolfo, or even Rutherford I feel like I have a chance of seeing a HR (a much better chance for those first two obviously).  Just don’t get that same feeling when I watch Sheets.  Almost expect a low line drive or grounder.

Edited by Chicago White Sox