Jump to content
Jose Abreu

Sox have reportedly offered Michael Brantley a contract

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Not blocking anyone plus probably means the end of Avi. That's enough for me personally lol

Probably. I like Avi, and still think if healthy, he's probably a good hitter. And it looks like home runs are starting to pick up for him, but.............he has the body and gait of a fast guy who gets slow pretty quickly. He also rarely doesn't have leg problems. This is a guy they thought would be a star though, so it wouldn't be surprising if they held on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Probably. I like Avi, and still think if healthy, he's probably a good hitter. And it looks like home runs are starting to pick up for him, but.............he has the body and gait of a fast guy who gets slow pretty quickly. He also rarely doesn't have leg problems. This is a guy they thought would be a star though, so it wouldn't be surprising if they held on.

I figured they would hold onto him (and they still could) but if they do add another corner OF or DH with Palka moving to the OF, I would expect him gone. If they don't add another corner OF bat or DH, then he stays and the Sox hope he has a good enough first half to move him.

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Last offseason, most posters wanted no part of any free agent. Sox weren't ready to win...Now, there seems to be a lot more interest in a guy like this and Nelson Cruz. Is there something I am missing? What happened in 2018 that makes anyone think the Sox are anywhere near competing?

I also think that with this year's FA class being so strong and right at the conclusion of several expiring contracts for us and right at the beginning of a potential competitive window, many people factored in big spending Winter 2018 as being a big part of the overall rebuild.  It was all part of the perfect storm that was aligning for us to pull all this off.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FT35 said:

I also think that with this year's FA class being so strong and right at the conclusion of several expiring contracts for us and right at the beginning of a potential competitive window, many people factored in big spending Winter 2018 as being a big part of the overall rebuild.  It was all part of the perfect storm that was aligning for us to pull all this off.

One other part - the White Sox had low big league payrolls the last couple years but they were also spending $25 million a year on Robert, in addition to Shields' bad contract. That money is now paid and gone, so our payroll to start the year is something like $35-40 million less than it was last year to start the season, even lower if they do dump Avi. Even if they don't land some of the big fish, it makes sense to use this money. They can offer a "floor" for everyone who hits the FA market - I don't think Brantley is a good fit either, but if he signed for 2/$20 wouldn't everyone take him? We saw the market collapse last year, we're in a better position to take advantage if that happens again this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bmags said:

Interesting. Soxtalk loves moving outfielders to 1b.

Agreed. If it were up to Soxtalk, Eloy would already be getting reps at 1B in the winter league right now.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bmags said:

Interesting. Soxtalk loves moving outfielders to 1b.

SMH

Most teams try the opposite to create value. Posters here would rather lose value I guess. Brantley is worth a lot less as a 1B then OF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 9:37 AM, caulfield12 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cleveland-indians/corey-kluber-8504/

just to be clear, Kluber is under control for three more years, Carrasco two...

 

Kluber's contract breaks down this way: $1 million in 2015, $4.5 million in 2016, $7.5 million in 2017, $10.5 million in 2018 and $13 million in 2019. Escalators in the contract can push the last guaranteed year as high as $17 million.

The 2020 option is worth between $13.5 million and $17.5 million. The 2021 option is worth between $14 million and $18 million depending on escalators. It includes a $1 million buyout.

The escalators in the option years are based on Kluber's Cy Young finishes.

If he is that cheap, he brings what Sale brought. The difference being Cleveland has better judges of talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zisk said:

If he is that cheap, he brings what Sale brought. The difference being Cleveland has better judges of talent.

Kluber just knows how to pitch he reminds me alot of Roy Halladay. However, Sale was much younger when he was moved. Kluber is already 32 and will be 33 when the season begins next year.

Sure Kluber has three years but that takes him through ages 33, 34, and 35. That isn't as near as valuable as Sales 28, 29, 30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Holy crap, I had no idea Brantley's plate discipline numbers were so good. Struck out only 60 times to 48 walks. 

To be fair, he did get to face our pitchers in 18 games :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Holy crap, I had no idea Brantley's plate discipline numbers were so good. Struck out only 60 times to 48 walks. 

C'mon Joe, it was literally mentioned in this same thread which isn't long. Hell I think @cjgalloway said it on the first page. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We may want to change this thread title as us making an offer seems unlikely at this point.

The Sox may have made an offer, but I would bet it's nowhere near $20M annually.  But to your point, I would doubt the Sox are likely to sign him based on what he's purportedly asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

The Sox may have made an offer, but I would bet it's nowhere near $20M annually.  But to your point, I would doubt the Sox are likely to sign him based on what he's purportedly asking.

I can’t imagine we really made an offer if we’re actively pursuing Harper.  There is no ideal OF arrangement that works for Harper, Brantley, & Jimenez.  Sure, Bryce could theoretically play CF but that seems like something we’d want to avoid at all costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, bmags said:

Interesting. Soxtalk loves moving outfielders to 1b.

Only when they suck as OF's. Some of us like good defense where extra base hits can be turned into outs and big innings avoided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×