Update per Heyman: White Sox one of 3 teams meeting Machado

DirtySox

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Well if Yanks are serious about Manny, that’s going to be difficult to overcome for the WSox

He always made the most sense for them, for multiple reasons. 

Sox have to land Harper or nobody. IMO Machado to the Jankees is and always has been nearly a foregone conclusion. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Well if Yanks are serious about Manny, that’s going to be difficult to overcome for the WSox

Cashman saying they have limited money to spend while in same sentence confirming they are after Manny is hilarious.

Just now, bmags said:

Cashman saying they have limited money to spend while in same sentence confirming they are after Manny is hilarious.

It is why I think the Cubs and Dodgers are bluffing as well. They're talking out of their asses. All 3 of those teams are crying poor as a smokescreen. It is going to be really tough to land Harper with the Cubs and Dodgers involved. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yeah too much is made of these big market teams saying they’re out on players. Lots of trades to be made to possibly open up positions and/or payroll.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah too much is made of these big market teams saying they’re out on players. Lots of trades to be made to possibly open up positions and/or payroll.

They can do whatever the fuck they want. There is no way in hell the Dodgers and Cubs are out on Harper, and I'd consider the Jankees the overwhelming favorite on Machado. Those three teams print money. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

They can do whatever the fuck they want. There is no way in hell the Dodgers and Cubs are out on Harper, and I'd consider the Jankees the overwhelming favorite on Machado. Those three teams print money. 

For example, why did the Yankees bring back Gardner if they really were worried about their outfield logjam and money issues?  

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

For example, why did the Yankees bring back Gardner if they really were worried about their outfield logjam and money issues?  

The simple answer is because Gardner cost them like 8 million vs. the 30+ million Harper will want and they'd rather spend to improve in areas other than OF.  If they wanted to be in on Harper, why wouldn't they let Gardner go and sign him or another corner guy if they miss out on Harper?  That'd make more sense to me.

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

The simple answer is because Gardner cost them like 8 million vs. the 30+ million Harper will want and they'd rather spend to improve in areas other than OF.  If they wanted to be in on Harper, why wouldn't they let Gardner go and sign him or another corner guy if they miss out on Harper?  That'd make more sense to me.

Because maybe they want to trade Stanton this offseason?

2 hours ago, fathom said:

I don’t know about you, but this doesn’t exactly sound like what someone involved with an organization would say right before signing someone:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1072200489951850496

Maybe he doesn't want the fan base to get pissed off by raising expectations :P

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Buster said Yankees are absolutely going after Machado and that only way they don’t get him is if someone offers him 350-400 million.

I have said many times I don't give a flip about Jerry and the partners' wallets. However I am a realist, albeit an annoying one to many. As a realist I am saying it would be dumb to offer 50-100 million more just to make sure we get him. Maybe call the Yankees' bluff and offer a tad more than they do, but this is one player. Heaven forbid something happen to him paying him all that moolah. Again ... I am all for making Jerry hurt in the wallet, I truly am. I just wonder about giving one guy all that loot when oh, so many injuries occur in sports.

If you say I'm a hypocrite, then nix the first part of this post and let me change to say "Pay him whatever it takes; greg wants him!" As I do want him, but if you understand my position, even the better.