Jump to content
yesterday333

Machado signs with Padres 10/300

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

I get that. But the chicken little stuff because the Phillies are rumored to have offered a contract is just ridiculous. We don't even know if it's true, or how much money was offered.

If the White Sox owner promised fans they would spent "stupid money," then we wouldn't be having this same conversation.

Not only that, but it's pretty clear the first White Sox official offer was well below expected market value.  So we certainly know  they will be beating that, so it's back to them to respond in a way where Machado is convinced not to keep going back and forth for weeks.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jose Abreu said:

This Phillies account is the one who was credited by Rosenthal so either way they’re legit. 

I mean they could have very well been using this guys info and Rosenthal just credited him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I have never realized how big of pussies Sox fans can be.  Every neutral piece of information is met by people panicking and expecting the worst.

All the fans who show up at times like these...I almost never see them on a daily basis in the game threads.  If the signing doesn't work out, they simply disappear back into the woodwork.

Heck, if the front office could see they have as many page views as 1/4th of their season attendance, they would recognize the appetite and need for the fanbase to have SOMETHING to believe in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I have never realized how big of pussies Sox fans can be.  Every neutral piece of information is met by people panicking and expecting the worst.

Sox fans are pussies because this organization keeps getting dicked around by the rest of the MLB. Until JR, KW and Hahn pull their panties up and put on the big boy pants, this is our reality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If the White Sox owner promised fans they would spent "stupid money," then we wouldn't be having this same conversation.

Not only that, but it's pretty clear the first White Sox official offer was well below expected market value.  So we pretty much know 100% they will be beating that, so it's back to them to respond in a way where Machado is convinced not to keep going back and forth for weeks.

I seriously doubt that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If the Phillies get BOTH Harper and Machado...that's going to be nearly impossible to explain to Sox fans.

It’ll be impossible to excuse. I don’t care who says, “Wait to know their offer before criticizing” or “Guys, both just wanted to really play for Philadelphia,” it’ll be a terrible blow to the franchise. They’ll deserve all the criticism coming their way. 

However, I still have hope they’ll get Machado. In the beginning with the Yankees I was very skeptical, but as talks have progressed I’m confident they wouldn’t risk embarrassing themselves signing Jay and trading for Alonso to lose out. Right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

All the fans who show up at times like these...I almost never see them on a daily basis in the game threads.  If the signing doesn't work out, they simply disappear back into the woodwork.

Heck, if the front office could see they have as many page views as 1/4th of their season attendance, they would recognize the appetite and need for the fanbase to have SOMETHING to believe in.

To be fair, game threads are awful lately and full of people just spouting nothing but negative garbage and insulting players. I don't blame people for staying out of those.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, asindc said:

I seriously doubt that.

Well, it really doesn't matter because JR is NEVER in a million years going to say that.

Do you think if we miss on both Machado and Harper that he's going to make a similar statement as the Phillies' owner heading into next offseason?

Then I've got some of Greg's Lawrence/Topeka/Johnson County (KS) houses to sell you at a discounted rate you won't be able to turn down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

It’ll be impossible to excuse. I don’t care who says, “Wait to know their offer before criticizing” or “Guys, both just wanted to really play for Philadelphia,” it’ll be a terrible blow to the franchise. They’ll deserve all the criticism coming their way. 

However, I still have hope they’ll get Machado. In the beginning with the Yankees I was very skeptical, but as talks have progressed I’m confident they wouldn’t risk embarrassing themselves signing Jay and trading for Alonso to lose out. Right?

That's pretty much the MAIN reason to have hope...it just sounds so ludicrous and embarrassing if it doesn't work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caulfield12 said:

That's pretty much the MAIN reason to have hope...it just sounds so ludicrous and embarrassing if it doesn't work out.

It's the type of thing that would get most GM fired (wasting 13 million on a recruiting effort).  Knowing how things work, Hahn would probably get an extension that isn't announced to the public.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

All the fans who show up at times like these...I almost never see them on a daily basis in the game threads.  If the signing doesn't work out, they simply disappear back into the woodwork.

Heck, if the front office could see they have as many page views as 1/4th of their season attendance, they would recognize the appetite and need for the fanbase to have SOMETHING to believe in.

Get off your high horse.  I have been a member since Summer 2005.  You are judging fans based on posting on game threads?!?!

I am a season ticket holder and I am sorry I don't post on SoxTalk all the time.  I know that wasn't personally directed at me, but I am part of the few.

I have faith, as a fan, in Kenny and Rick.  As many faults Kenny has, he did win a World Series.  Jury is still out on Rick, but the returns on Q, Sale, and Eaton were top notch and not many, if anyone, was upset with them.

You want to play Monday morning quarterback, wait til the signings happen.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, it really doesn't matter because JR is NEVER in a million years going to say that.

Nor should he, because there’s practically zero upside to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to show you guys how ridiculous this entire process is, here’s a quote from Rick Hahn at the Jon Jay presser just last week:

Quote

I realize it's part of the business, but especially when you're talking about negotiations, which are understandably and purposefully confidential and not something that we conduct through the media

Here are five tweets in the last 24 hours:

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only part that irks me is Merkin tweeting that.  He is employed by the club and should stay out of it IMHO.

Rest of it is media speculation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I have never realized how big of pussies Sox fans can be.  Every neutral piece of information is met by people panicking and expecting the worst.

There really is no need for this. The 50s called and they wanted to pass on that using females as a way to insult men died with them.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phillies make an offer, and half the thread is whipping themselves up into a frenzy over the possibility that eventually Machado chooses that one. Being proactively pessimistic is one thing, but this is purposely steering into worst case scenarios to beat a horse that isn't just already dead, but was never alive because it is made of straw.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to guess, someone let slip on either side that the Sox are willing to go 8 years for more money (they must be if they're that serious) but the message from the White Sox is "oh no, we're not going over 7 seasons"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, it really doesn't matter because JR is NEVER in a million years going to say that.

Do you think if we miss on both Machado and Harper that he's going to make a similar statement as the Phillies' owner heading into next offseason?

Then I've got some of Greg's Lawrence/Topeka/Johnson County (KS) houses to sell you at a discounted rate you won't be able to turn down.

No, that’s not what I’m doubting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

All the fans who show up at times like these...I almost never see them on a daily basis in the game threads.  If the signing doesn't work out, they simply disappear back into the woodwork.

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

Get off your high horse.  I have been a member since Summer 2005.  You are judging fans based on posting on game threads?!?!

I am a season ticket holder and I am sorry I don't post on SoxTalk all the time.  I know that wasn't personally directed at me, but I am part of the few.

I have faith, as a fan, in Kenny and Rick.  As many faults Kenny has, he did win a World Series.  Jury is still out on Rick, but the returns on Q, Sale, and Eaton were top notch and not many, if anyone, was upset with them.

You want to play Monday morning quarterback, wait til the signings happen.

 

 

Well, obviously if you're going to 10 or 20 games or more from Rockford, that's impressive dedication.

You actually go to 81 games per year and drive 1 1/2 hours each way?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Soxman72 said:

Get off your high horse.  I have been a member since Summer 2005.  You are judging fans based on posting on game threads?!?!

I am a season ticket holder and I am sorry I don't post on SoxTalk all the time.  I know that wasn't personally directed at me, but I am part of the few.

I have faith, as a fan, in Kenny and Rick.  As many faults Kenny has, he did win a World Series.  Jury is still out on Rick, but the returns on Q, Sale, and Eaton were top notch and not many, if anyone, was upset with them.

You want to play Monday morning quarterback, wait til the signings happen.

 

 

How dare you say anything positive about the team. They have done absolutely nothing positive to warrant any positivity. Expect the worst. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×