Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Harpers best was legendarily good. Despite his inconsistencies, teams are infatuated with that level of production.

I can certainly bet that at least 1/3 of the binder put together by Boras is focusing on that season and why it will happen again. If you ever get the time to read a leaked binder they are insane. He projects good players to replicate HOF numbers based on crazy deep dives of stats and somehow convinces owners that it is legit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Shocked /s

Padres weren't really interested in spending 250 million.

Best thing that could happen is Moustakas wants to sign this week and takes a reasonable offer from the Pads and Harper signs with Phillies for something not outrageous. 

Lozano would have ZERO leverage outside of trying to incite that Yankees are still lurking. 

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I can certainly bet that at least 1/3 of the binder put together by Boras is focusing on that season and why it will happen again. If you ever get the time to read a leaked binder they are insane. He projects good players to replicate HOF numbers based on crazy deep dives of stats and somehow convinces owners that it is legit. 

If you have any links to any of those, I would love to check them out. 

19 minutes ago, Jake said:

I don't think it is at all obvious which of Machado or Harper is the better player going forward.

Ehh.  Manny provides two-way value.  Bryce has a little more offensive upside and more marketability, but he's a bad OF at 26.  He's a DH or 1B within a few years.  Manny is definitely going to be the more valuable player over the course of the contract.   

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Best thing that could happen is Moustakas wants to sign this week and takes a reasonable offer from the Pads and Harper signs with Phillies for something not outrageous. 

Lozano would have ZERO leverage outside of trying to incite that Yankees are still lurking. 

Mous's agent is Boras. Hell likely wait for Machado to set the market.

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Harpers ceiling was top 5 offensive season ever. That means a lot to teams - it's not the marketability, it's the ceiling of Harper. 

Harpers best was legendarily good. Despite his inconsistencies, teams are infatuated with that level of production.

Yeah, I get that.  But that doesn't make him the better player.  It just means he has more potential (which I agree with).  Whether he EVER hits that is unknown.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ehh.  Manny provides two-way value.  Bryce has a little more offensive upside and more marketability, but he's a bad OF at 26.  He's a DH or 1B within a few years.  Manny is definitely going to be the more valuable player over the course of the contract.   

Ehh...Manny provides 2 way value but we've also seen guys fall off defensively more rapidly also. If you got Bryce into a hitting groove again even resembling what he did in 2017 (without even mentioning his ridiculous pre-shift MVP season) he could certainly be more valuable over his contract since his bat has been better. Take a look at Manny's 2017 if you want to scare yourself. 

I'd wager you're right, but it's not open and shut. Manny is definitely more valuable specifically to the Chicago White Sox due to our abundance of OFs thought. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ehh...Manny provides 2 way value but we've also seen guys fall off defensively more rapidly also. If you got Bryce into a hitting groove again even resembling what he did in 2017 (without even mentioning his ridiculous pre-shift MVP season) he could certainly be more valuable over his contract since his bat has been better. Take a look at Manny's 2017 if you want to scare yourself. 

I'd wager you're right, but it's not open and shut. Manny is definitely more valuable specifically to the Chicago White Sox due to our abundance of OFs thought. 

Machado's 2017 was such an anomaly it should be completely thrown out. He had by far his worst BABIP of .265 despite having his best Hard contact percentage and no significant change is his GB/FB ratio compared to 16 and 18. That's historically bad luck for a player of his caliber.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Machado's 2017 was such an anomaly it should be completely thrown out. He had by far his worst BABIP of .265 despite having his best Hard contact percentage and no significant change is his GB/FB ratio compared to 16 and 18. That's historically bad luck for a player of his caliber.

You can say the same thing about Harper's 2016 season. He had the lowest ground ball rate of his career but also the lowest HR rate of his career. 

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Most super elite defensive infielders don't fall off rapidly.  

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am 100% in this camp.  Not only is Manny the best fit for the Sox, I would bet on him being the better player over the term of his contract.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You can say the same thing about Harper's 2016 season. He had the lowest ground ball rate of his career but also the lowest HR rate of his career. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11579&position=OF#battedball

He had a lower ground ball rate in 2018 and 2015 and the exact same rate in 2017.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres