Sign in to follow this  
RTC

Free Agency - How confident are you?

The winter of our discontent   

184 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will REALLY happen this winter?

• I'm confident they'll land a big fish (e.g. Cole)
    • I'm confident they'll land a solid FA (e.g. Grandal) that actually makes an impact
    • I think any FA signings will fall in the "decent" range
    • I'm hoping beyond hope that the FO can get out of their own way and at least sign one person that's not crap
    • This winter is going to be another pile of hot garbage

22 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Gimme a buncha shares of Scooter Gennett @ a discounted price this winter. I'd take him on a bounce back contract or a 2-3 year deal if he's willing. Give him maybe 1yr, $7mm. Or maybe something like 3 years and $15mm. If that can get the deal done let's do it. I'd actually love to bring him in for the rest of the year. Who cares if it costs $2mm. Let him learn the coaches, team, city, etc. and see if there's a mutual fit. 

He's played the OF before, played a few games at 3B, obviously plays 2B. Don't see why he wouldn't be able to play 1B in a pinch and also DH. Make him our Ben Zobrist. Let him play 2b for April/May until Madrigal is called up & then you shift him to playing 4-6 games a week. Get him a start at 1B, 2B, 3B, OF, and DH each week. That's 5 games a week on average. 

You're basically getting a nice super utility guy at a reasonable price who should hit .290, 20HR, and hit some double with maybe a .800 OPS. Maybe he doesn't do that well, but I'd take that over Yolmer. 

Outside of that my targets are Justin Smoak on a 1 year deal. Again that's around a $3-7mm commitment. Let him be your DH/1B with Abreu. Smoak has amazing Statcast numbers. Give him a shot for a year, can't go worse than Alonso. 

OF I'd want to sign Marcell Ozuna or Puig. Not a fan of their low OBP, however they both play hard, good D, and bring pop. 

You now have an OF of Eloy, Robert, Ozuna. An IF of Moncada, Anderson, Gennett, Abreu/Smoak. Catcher is Collins and Mercedes. Madrigal by May. Gennett to super UTIL role. 

Pitching I'm okay with a Nova resigning for cheap. I'd go out and sign a few other wild cards. Maybe Rich Hill if Dodgers let him go. Give him like 2 years and $25mm. He's the type of guy that will be hurt, but that's fine. If you truly are going to make the playoffs as long as he's healthy then he can be a real asset. Plus you'd have Rodon coming back halfway through the season too. I just want like 7sp, you have stack extras like the Dodgers knowing you'll have injuries. Then why not throw a few bucks at Alex Wood too. Also always injured. Give him a Sonny Gray type contract. Now you have a buncha guys and don't have to care about Kopechs innings limit as much. Can give him rest. Wait on Rodon, etc. 

Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Wood, Nova to start the year. Hill out bullpen in a multi inning late reliever role. Kopech by mid-April/May. Maybe move to a 6 man rotation. 

By Summer you probably have Nova as a middle reliever guy. You have time to ease Rodon into a SP role again. Wood and/or Hill are hurt. Rotation is Gio, Lopez, Cease, Kopech + healthy body. 

Total spend: $7mm on Gennett 1 year. $5mm Smoak, 1 year. $25mm on Hill over 2 years. Wood $50mm over 4 years. Nova $4mm, 1 year. All affordable and shorter term guys. Not bad. 

Ozuna would be your prize. And you'd have to pay him maybe 4 years and $80? Have no idea if that's low or high. 

I like the Gennett idea and have for a while.

Aside from that.........when are the Sox actually going to spend some money? 

As much as I am excited about 2020, it could be another transition year. It boils down primarily to the starting rotation. I am confident that they will address the offense, but as long as the rotation is in question, so will the team's success.

Next year, Giolito is likely to be the #1 in the rotation. There isn't a #2 or #3 on the current team.

Lopez, Cease, Rodon (at some point), Kopech (probably right away), perhaps a backend starter option for insurance (Nova??) fill it out, but, even with upside, should be your #4 and #5 options until they grow into higher roles. 

I don't think they will sign Cole, but they will add some veteran to this mix..

If “discounted price”, “bounce back”, “resigning for cheap”, “low OBP” or “always injured” are used by Hahn relative to any FA targets this winter he should be fired.  The time for that crap has passed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RTC said:

If “discounted price”, “bounce back”, “resigning for cheap”, “low OBP” or “always injured” are used by Hahn relative to any FA targets this winter he should be fired.  The time for that crap has passed.

Maybe so. But my suggestions are more or less "realistic". The Sox are never going to go out and sign a big name. So take Cole and Rendon off the list right away. They are most likely to go after short contract guys. Has been proven over & over. 

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Gimme a buncha shares of Scooter Gennett @ a discounted price this winter. I'd take him on a bounce back contract or a 2-3 year deal if he's willing. Give him maybe 1yr, $7mm. Or maybe something like 3 years and $15mm. If that can get the deal done let's do it. I'd actually love to bring him in for the rest of the year. Who cares if it costs $2mm. Let him learn the coaches, team, city, etc. and see if there's a mutual fit. 

He's played the OF before, played a few games at 3B, obviously plays 2B. Don't see why he wouldn't be able to play 1B in a pinch and also DH. Make him our Ben Zobrist. Let him play 2b for April/May until Madrigal is called up & then you shift him to playing 4-6 games a week. Get him a start at 1B, 2B, 3B, OF, and DH each week. That's 5 games a week on average. 

You're basically getting a nice super utility guy at a reasonable price who should hit .290, 20HR, and hit some double with maybe a .800 OPS. Maybe he doesn't do that well, but I'd take that over Yolmer. 

Outside of that my targets are Justin Smoak on a 1 year deal. Again that's around a $3-7mm commitment. Let him be your DH/1B with Abreu. Smoak has amazing Statcast numbers. Give him a shot for a year, can't go worse than Alonso. 

OF I'd want to sign Marcell Ozuna or Puig. Not a fan of their low OBP, however they both play hard, good D, and bring pop. 

You now have an OF of Eloy, Robert, Ozuna. An IF of Moncada, Anderson, Gennett, Abreu/Smoak. Catcher is Collins and Mercedes. Madrigal by May. Gennett to super UTIL role. 

Pitching I'm okay with a Nova resigning for cheap. I'd go out and sign a few other wild cards. Maybe Rich Hill if Dodgers let him go. Give him like 2 years and $25mm. He's the type of guy that will be hurt, but that's fine. If you truly are going to make the playoffs as long as he's healthy then he can be a real asset. Plus you'd have Rodon coming back halfway through the season too. I just want like 7sp, you have stack extras like the Dodgers knowing you'll have injuries. Then why not throw a few bucks at Alex Wood too. Also always injured. Give him a Sonny Gray type contract. Now you have a buncha guys and don't have to care about Kopechs innings limit as much. Can give him rest. Wait on Rodon, etc. 

Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Wood, Nova to start the year. Hill out bullpen in a multi inning late reliever role. Kopech by mid-April/May. Maybe move to a 6 man rotation. 

By Summer you probably have Nova as a middle reliever guy. You have time to ease Rodon into a SP role again. Wood and/or Hill are hurt. Rotation is Gio, Lopez, Cease, Kopech + healthy body. 

Total spend: $7mm on Gennett 1 year. $5mm Smoak, 1 year. $25mm on Hill over 2 years. Wood $50mm over 4 years. Nova $4mm, 1 year. All affordable and shorter term guys. Not bad. 

Ozuna would be your prize. And you'd have to pay him maybe 4 years and $80? Have no idea if that's low or high. 

If the Sox off-season goes anything like this, then that would be depressing. The free agent class in 2021 is terrible. They need to load up this winter, not go bargain basement hunting. There's no excuse to not bring in a big name pitcher, whether it's via free agency or trade.

6 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Like your Gennett guy...good name to consider.  Nova would work OK for me as well...more for starter depth and long relief.  Smoak, Puig an Wood don't do much for me.

Gennett is fine to replace Yolmer and at least offers some upside...but these last few pages read like 2014~16 mode.

We had four core players...traded away young talent and got exactly nowhere with the likes of Robertson and Frazier.

It even feels like Shark back then was a bigger move than anyone but Cole Strasburg Wheeler and Bumgarner this time around.

And that bullpen still is shaky as long as they can't rely at all on Herrera.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Sounds like what I've been saying about Gennett for about a month ,OF and/or supersub , and often repeating myself. Welcome aboard.

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Watch out for Look at Ray Ray Run and ChiSox59 saying stuff like this.  🤣

The difference is - he hasn't repeated himself 3,707 times like you have. 

Having the opinion that the White Sox aren't going to sign Rendon and/or Cole (a very fair take, mind you) is not the same thing as stating that since Manny Machado signed elsewhere, the White Sox will never again sign a free agent of note and will be relegated to signing the likes of Jon Jay, Ivan Nova and Welington Castillo for the rest of time.  While also completely ignoring the context of when said signings were made.  You consistently lack the ability to comprehend that the White Sox have not been trying to fill gaps with top tier players since they began this rebuild.  Things change next season - and this is abundantly obvious.  They took a shot at boosting things by getting a premier talent in Machado before they were really ready for him.  He signed elsewhere.  That doesn't mean the plan changes.  

There, I explained it to you yet again.  

We can reconvene in the offseason.  I am still hoping for the best.  The Sox need to add a couple starters for sure.  I think we can agree on that.

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

We can reconvene in the offseason.  I am still hoping for the best.  The Sox need to add a couple starters for sure.  I think we can agree on that.

For sure.  I'd love for it to be Cole or Strasburg, but even if the Sox are interested, they can't make those guys sign with Sox.   

Even if Cole and Strasburg sign elsewhere, that does not mean the offseason is a failure.  One of Wheeler, Ryu, Bumgarner, Keuchel + one of Wood, Odorizzi, Gibson, Pineda would certainly be a step in the right direction.   A lot also depends on how much they plan to ease Kopech into MLB action.  1 SP may be enough if they take the kid gloves off, but I think he opens in AAA - meaning 2 SP are needed.  Get a big stick in RF and/or 1B/DH, and you have a pretty good team once the young guns arrive in late April.

Edited by ChiSox59

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

For sure.  I'd love for it to be Cole or Strasburg, but even if the Sox are interested, they can't make those guys sign with Sox.   

Even if Cole and Strasburg sign elsewhere, that does not mean the offseason is a failure.  One of Wheeler, Ryu, Bumgarner, Keuchel + one of Wood, Odorizzi, Gibson, Pineda would certainly be a step in the right direction.   A lot also depends on how much they plan to ease Kopech into MLB action.  1 SP may be enough if they take the kid gloves off, but I think he opens in AAA - meaning 2 SP are needed.  Get a big stick in RF and/or 1B/DH, and you have a pretty good team once the young guns arrive in late April.

I still think Brandon Nimmo can be had. The Mets OF is crowded. If the Sox can trade for Nimmo, that would plug the hole in RF for the next 4 years potentially. 

With regard to FA, I want to believe that they're going to pull something significant off, but I'll believe it when I see it. I want to believe they understand that they can't do this rebuild completely from internal options, but you never know. One of the things I'm concerned about isn't that the Sox don't want to spend money, but....FA don't want to come here. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I still think Brandon Nimmo can be had. The Mets OF is crowded. If the Sox can trade for Nimmo, that would plug the hole in RF for the next 4 years potentially. 

Yah, I mean, I think I've been the lead cheerleader on Nimmo.  He makes too much sense.  Just really tough to pinpoint what he'd cost.  If the Sox could get him without giving up any of their top 5 or so prospects, and perhaps even trim some of the 40 man while doing it, that would be great.

Perhaps something like Rutherford + Hansen + Pilkington or Lambert gets it done.  Not sure.  Assuming the obvious are off the table, I assure Mets would want Rutherford/Walker + Dunning/Stiever as the first two pieces.  

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I assure Mets would want Rutherford/Walker + Dunning/Stiever as the first two pieces.  

Done

Stiever is someone I would sell high on. This would be a weird time to trade Dunning though. 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I just want to say that theres 0% chance Alex Wood gets 4 years 60 million. 0% 

There is also no chance he evens gets that AAV on a 1 year deal.  WOOF

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Gennett is fine to replace Yolmer and at least offers some upside...but these last few pages read like 2014~16 mode.

We had four core players...traded away young talent and got exactly nowhere with the likes of Robertson and Frazier.

It even feels like Shark back then was a bigger move than anyone but Cole Strasburg Wheeler and Bumgarner this time around.

And that bullpen still is shaky as long as they can't rely at all on Herrera.

This is what's troubling about having the current Sox front office, Jerry included, oversee this rebuild.

The Sox had a great core of Thomas, Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, Durham and couldn't build a winner around them.  If only they would have ponied up for another decent starting pitcher in those years (2000 -2004) instead of going without a competent 5th starter and cutting salary by dumping guys like Durham and Lofton for basically nothing.

In 2005, everything just came together, despite losing Ordonez, thanks to bringing in guys like AJ, Iguchi, and catching lightning in a bottle with the bullpen, so kudos to KW for that.  But despite it looking like the Sox were about to start a dynasty, they only made the playoffs once after that in 2008, barely getting in and then being eliminated in the first round.

Then the Sox had another good young core with guys like Sale, Quintana, Eaton, etc. but failed to build a winner around them either, instead surrounding them with washed up vets and B-level free agents.

Now they had the fans suffer through this rebuild to acquire another promising young core.  But if they once again fail to augment this core with top tier talent instead of half-assing it as usual, we will just be back where we started, maybe making the playoffs once in the next several years and not going very deep.

Here's hoping this time Jerry opens his wallet for top tier free agents and Hahn & Co. do a better job of identifying talent to bring in.  But don't hold your breath.  I'd feel much better about this rebuild with other people in charge.

7 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

This is what's troubling about having the current Sox front office, Jerry included, oversee this rebuild.

The Sox had a great core of Thomas, Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, Durham and couldn't build a winner around them.  If only they would have ponied up for another decent starting pitcher in those years (2000 -2004) instead of going without a competent 5th starter and cutting salary by dumping guys like Durham and Lofton for basically nothing.

In 2005, everything just came together, despite losing Ordonez, thanks to bringing in guys like AJ, Iguchi, and catching lightning in a bottle with the bullpen, so kudos to KW for that.  But despite it looking like the Sox were about to start a dynasty, they only made the playoffs once after that in 2008, barely getting in and then being eliminated in the first round.

Then the Sox had another good young core with guys like Sale, Quintana, Eaton, etc. but failed to build a winner around them either, instead surrounding them with washed up vets and B-level free agents.

Now they had the fans suffer through this rebuild to acquire another promising young core.  But if they once again fail to augment this core with top tier talent instead of half-assing it as usual, we will just be back where we started, maybe making the playoffs once in the next several years and not going very deep.

Here's hoping this time Jerry opens his wallet for top tier free agents and Hahn & Co. do a better job of identifying talent to bring in.  But don't hold your breath.  I'd feel much better about this rebuild with other people in charge.

Had we signed B level free agents we wouldn't have needed a rebuild. Our FA track record is awful the last 7 years or so. Thankfully we only have positions that are red zones (RF and DH) and two rotation spots that must be locked up this offseason through FA.  

35 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Scotty Pods was a big part of 2005.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:56 PM, RTC said:

Not necessarily.Look at how the Twins got so much better this year. Cruz 1 yr with option for $14.3M, Schoop, One year, $7.5MM ,Marwin Gonzalez, INF/OF: Two years, $21MM, Martin Perez, LHP: One year, $4MM (includes $500K buyout of 2020 club option) ,Claimed 1B C.J. Cron off waivers from the Rays and then a $4.8 M salary,Blake Parker, RHP: One year, $1.8MM

Total Spent including names I haven't listed and not including Cron's $4.8M is $49.4M .

We could also look at some starting pitchers signed by other teams who have had very good years for cheap like Wade Miley, LHP: one year, $4.5MM by Astros , Lance Lynn, RHP: three years, $30MM by Rangers, Mike Fiers, RHP: two years, $14.1MM by Oakland Brett Anderson, LHP: one year, $1.5MM by Oakland 2.5WAR for that salary.

We could also look at some position players . MVP candidate DJ LeMahieu, INF: Two years, $24MM  by the Yankees, Michael Brantley, OF: two years, $32MM by Astros, Mike Moustakas, 2B/3B: One year, $10MM, Yasmani Grandal, 😄 One year, $18.25MM (includes $2MM buyout on 2020 mutual option) by Brewers. I include him even at that salary because it's a short contract. Any time you can get an established star on a short contract , you do it, just like Astros did with Brantley or Braves did with Donaldson even though that contract was $23M for a year  Donaldson has been great for the Braves.

The problem is identifying them and using your tools to approach guys with things that might make them better like the Astros did with Verlander when they traded for him and Cole . We have yet to see the Sox have any strength in these areas.

I got much of this info from MLB Trade Rumors in their Offseason in review Series that review team acquisitions in the offseason in March.

Just to remind everyone I will include a few things from The Sox review from MLBTR .

Here’s White Sox executive vice president Kenny Williams attempting to defend the team’s eight-year, $250MM final offer (to Machado), as reported by Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times: “People are lost on the fact that on a yearly basis, our offer was more than San Diego’s. The average annual value was $31 [million] and change. So it was about years guaranteed. So there is an argument that could be made that our offer was the better of the two. It certainly had more upside for him. All he had to do was basically stay healthy.”  This is almost comical, as is Williams’ assertion that if the team had gone further financially, fans would have been “much more disappointed in our inability to keep this next core together.”  The key piece of that core, Eloy Jimenez, remains a minor leaguer for the purpose of gaining control of his 2025 season.  The team’s “next core” literally hasn’t reached the Majors yet, but giving Machado an extra two years would break it up?

Hahn’s claim that the Sox made a “very aggressive offer” is patently untrue.  With every large market team sitting out Machado’s market and the price coming in much lower than it could have been, the White Sox still never got close. 

There were words used in the article like ridiculous, comically, patently untrue ,strangely, fairly typical offseason,

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/offseason-in-review-chicago-white-sox-11.html

When the White Sox brought in Carson Fulmer last night, Steve Stone mentioned that Fulmer has to start taking advantage of being called up again. Stone said the 2020 rotation is going to be Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech and probably Rodon and Dunning.  Some people seem to think that Stone has become a mouthpiece for JR and judging by his comments last night, he seemed like he was telling White Sox fans don't expect any pitchers to be added  via free agency.

8 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

When the White Sox brought in Carson Fulmer last night, Steve Stone mentioned that Fulmer has to start taking advantage of being called up again. Stone said the 2020 rotation is going to be Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech and probably Rodon and Dunning.  Some people seem to think that Stone has become a mouthpiece for JR and judging by his comments last night, he seemed like he was telling White Sox fans don't expect any pitchers to be added  via free agency.

Kopech is going to be on an innings limit and Rodon won't be back till after the ASB.

Dunning was in AA before he got hurt and will also be on a limit.  That wouldn't make any sense unless they plan on running out Covey as the 5th starter and have an opener or something some games.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:49 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'd like them to find the next Scooter Gennett.

I'd like them to find the next Yordan Alvarez or Aristides Aquino like the Astros acquired Alvarez from the Dodgers .

Aquino was non-tendered by the Reds and became a free agent on November 30, 2018. He re-signed a minor league deal on December 3, 2018. So there was a small window to acquire him at a time when we had no production in right field.