Jump to content
Jack Parkman

2020 RF options

Recommended Posts

LH hitters

Corey Dickerson (FA) 

Gregory Polanco (trade) 

Brandon Nimmo (trade) 

RH hitters

M. Ozuna (FA) 

Puig(FA) 

Castellanos (FA) 

Of these options, who would you want? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

LH hitters

Corey Dickerson (FA) 

Gregory Polanco (trade) 

Brandon Nimmo (trade) 

RH hitters

M. Ozuna (FA) 

Puig(FA) 

Castellanos (FA) 

Of these options, who would you want? 

Corey Dickerson has appeal but the National League hitters have me feeling snake bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Corey Dickerson has appeal but the National League hitters have me feeling snake bit.

I wouldn't mind them signing both Dickerson and Puig or trading for Polanco and signing Puig. Polanco should be pretty cheap as he's missed most of this season and last to injury. Polanco might even be non-tendered. Dickerson/Polanco and Jimenez can rotate between LF/DH. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d just bite the bullet and pay up for ozuna. Like it or not he’s the closest thing to an impact player this organization will pay up for. We will likely have to overpay for what he’s actually worth, but it won’t be a crippling mega contract...the $ has to be spent somehow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yeah, I want Ozuna.

I do too but it'll take new ownership who are well-heeled sportsmen . That would disqualify anyone from this current cabal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yeah, I want Ozuna.

Pablo Ozuna is Marcella Ozuna's cousin.  We'll know something is up if we see Pablo hired as an assistant coach

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense, but isn't Avi basically the same player as Ozuna? About the same age. Ozuna has drawn 45 walks to Avi's 29 in fewer plate appearances and he's whacked about six more homers. Ozuna has 17 more RBI which apparently means nothing with RBI stats discarded.

Ozuna makes 12 mill; Avi 3.5 mill. Since the Sox seem to be enjoying not spending a lot of money aside from bonus money isn't it smarter to sign Avi two years 6.5 mill a year instead of Ozuna two years 15 million a year? It's not like we're going to need a superstar in right. Avi figures to pick up the home run pace back in the The Cell.

Just saying ... Ozuna's stats don't scream "sign me!" I don't really care either way, but obviously I'd like Avi back if guys like 
Rutherford aren't going to make it. I guess Leury in right would be just as good as Avi as well.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me personally, I'd ask the Marlins what they'd want for Brian Anderson (I know.. the name makes you snicker, but he is a very underrated player). 

Or Hahn could travel down the Joc Pederson hole again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll throw a curve here. Since he;'s been pretty bad this year at short...how about Tim Anderson? Then the Sox can hunt down a shortstop. Having one of the worst defensive shortstops in baseball isn't a good way to move towards being a World Series contender.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

LH hitters

Corey Dickerson (FA) 

Gregory Polanco (trade) 

Brandon Nimmo (trade) 

RH hitters

M. Ozuna (FA) 

Puig(FA) 

Castellanos (FA) 

Of these options, who would you want? 

JD Martinez has played 39% of his time this season in LF/RF. You would need the 4th OF to be good defensively since JD is below average but it really adds a quality bat at DH as well. Not sure Hahn will pay him what he will want but ooking at the current rebuild lineup , we may not be able to afford another poor defender. The SP staff may go on strike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SCCWS said:

JD Martinez has played 39% of his time this season in LF/RF. You would need the 4th OF to be good defensively since JD is below average but it really adds a quality bat at DH as well. Not sure Hahn will pay him what he will want but ooking at the current rebuild lineup , we may not be able to afford another poor defender. The SP staff may go on strike. 

As the DH sign me up.  No interest in a poor fielding right fielder.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's wrong with Leury? Spend the money on all pitching. Or Leury/Avi. Neither make any money and are not too bad.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could add veteran LH bats who could be placeholders for a year:  Calhoun Angels, Brett Gardner Yanks, Jay Bruce, Josh Reddick.   Cameron Maybin or if looking for a reclamation project Lonnie Chisenhal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Alex Gordon needs to be on the list.  He makes a lot of sense on a 1 year deal if acquiring someone like Nimmo via trade is too expensive.  

I certainly won't be mad if the Sox sign Ozuna, but our OF defense just became shockingly horrible, and the lineup SUPER right handed.  Also makes resigning Abreu not super realistic.  If they resign Abreu and sign Ozuna, it makes finding a LH masher for DH paramount.  Ozuna definitely would be an OK plan B.7, but any plan involving him would be a little ways down my list.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Alex Gordon needs to be on the list.  He makes a lot of sense on a 1 year deal if acquiring someone like Nimmo via trade is too expensive.  

I certainly won't be mad if the Sox sign Ozuna, but our OF defense just became shockingly horrible, and the lineup SUPER right handed.  Also makes resigning Abreu not super realistic.  If they resign Abreu and sign Ozuna, it makes finding a LH masher for DH paramount.  Ozuna definitely would be an OK plan B.7, but any plan involving him would be a little ways down my list.  

Gordon is certainly a fine defender in LF, but has a 92 wRC+ this year and has not had one above 92 since 2015. While he's an obvious upgrade over Engel/Palka types, why not aim higher? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Gordon is certainly a fine defender in LF, but has a 92 wRC+ this year and has not had one above 92 since 2015. While he's an obvious upgrade over Engel/Palka types, why not aim higher? 

I definitely want to aim higher.  But I don't think he's an awful stop gap in the OF on a 1 year deal if the options A, B, C and D don't work out.  I would definitely prefer guys like Nimmo, Polanco, Tapia, and Mazara via trade than Gordon.  I don't find guys like Castellanos and Ozuna to be great fits unless they are OK DHing multiple times per week - and then you STILL need a RF.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Adam Eaton...would actually be a great fit. Cost would be too high I'm sure. 

Aside from him being a total tool and hated in every clubhouse he's been in........

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Gordon is certainly a fine defender in LF, but has a 92 wRC+ this year and has not had one above 92 since 2015. While he's an obvious upgrade over Engel/Palka types, why not aim higher? 

Dickerson has averaged an OPS+ north of 120 the last three years, to me he is the ideal candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony said:

Aside from him being a total tool and hated in every clubhouse he's been in........

tool or not...he is good in the outfield, can hit and is left handed. the options on that list for left handers is vomit inducing. this team needs a lefty pretty badly. like I said...price will be too high, but I really can't think of a better "need" fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Castellanos or Puig would be okay.  With Anderson and Puig on the same team, that would be a lot of attitude.  At that point, might as well go sign Bumgarner and be chock full of attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×