Yolmer non-tendered

Princess Dye

30 minutes ago, Chisox378 said:

Kipnis interesting since he is hometown kid, although I though he was more of a Cubs fan growing up.

Something to think about. 

Kipnis got red assed when Tim bat flipped against Cleveland this year early in the season and took a shot at him in the media.  I'm not sure if he is one of the no fun guys or not, just something I recall.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Something to think about. 

Kipnis got red assed when Tim bat flipped against Cleveland this year early in the season and took a shot at him in the media.  I'm not sure if he is one of the no fun guys or not, just something I recall.

Are you sure about that?  Those two work out together in the off season. I have a hard time believing Kipnis would call him out for that in the media.  

Yolmer was great in his time here...but he's a utility guy who was forced to be an everyday player. If you have a choice between Yolmer and Leury...it's a no-brainer you take Leury. We're not paying a utility guy 6.2M regardless of "how fun" he is.  I wish Yolmer the best. That being said...he's an upgrade to anything the Cubs trotted out there this year at 2B and wouldn't cost them any specs or players. Wouldn't surprise me is he ends up a Cub.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Are you sure about that?  Those two work out together in the off season. I have a hard time believing Kipnis would call him out for that in the media.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/jason-kipnis-has-harsh-assessment-of-white-sox-after-losing-series-to-them/ar-AACiaGT

“Think about it, we have the same record. We’re playing like s— and they’re playing as good as they can and we have the same record, to put it in perspective,” Kipnis said, via Kevin Powell of WGN Radio. “Are they playing better than us? At least this series, absolutely. I think they’ll admit it too, that it’s too early to celebrate a second place trophy on June 2.”

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would they have to place him on outright waivers to work out a new deal?

Because then you weed out everyone who would only be willing to carry him on the 40 man instead of the 25. If Yolmer is faced then only with minor league deals, you would assume the White Sox have an advantage. If someone wants to sign him to a MLB deal and commit an active roster spot, well — good for Yolmer. 

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Because then you weed out everyone who would only be willing to carry him on the 40 man instead of the 25. If Yolmer is faced then only with minor league deals, you would assume the White Sox have an advantage. If someone wants to sign him to a MLB deal and commit an active roster spot, well — good for Yolmer. 

A team could still claim and then non tender if they couldn’t get Yolmer to sign a deal they liked in next week. Minimal risk, obviously would just need a 40 man spot. 

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Kipnis.  I heard him in an interview in 2016 saying it would be "cool" to lose the World Series to the cubs, and that was in like August or something. It was just a great take.  

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Positive.  He made a comment to a reporter about bat flipping in an April or May game or whenever it was.  It was early in the year.

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

A team could still claim and then non tender if they couldn’t get Yolmer to sign a deal they liked in next week. Minimal risk, obviously would just need a 40 man spot. 

Right — but like I said, between now and the rule 5 is the time to do it, because with so many teams locked into a full 40 man, you minimize the chances of this. Not a lock, but this is their best shot to push him through. 

8 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yolmer isn’t going to accept the outright if he cleared.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly, which is why this isn’t about sneaking him through and 100% about freeing a roster spot.

I think it's just doing him a favor. They were going to non tender him and couldn't trade  him. Someone may claim him and try to work something out, or if he goes unclaimed, he gets a head start on any other non tender by a few days. I hope they did it yesterday to fill a roster spot today, but I still think they have several guys queued up for needed roster spots. 

Edited by Dick Allen

12 hours ago, Tony said:

I don't know, I think his market is going to be lacking a lot of suitors. Just seems like a Kenny guy to me too. 

I also saw someone mention Brock Holt, I think he would be a tremendous fit for the Sox for the right $.

I always mention Brock Holt. Infield and OF. I honestly think he'd take 3/$18M and that might be high. Just now looked and Fangrapghs projects him at 2/$15M Crowd source is much less.

https://nesn.com/2019/11/breaking-down-markets-for-red-sox-free-agents-rick-porcello-brock-holt/