Trade Market for Starting Pitchers...

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, feels like the rockies may as well be in England for as little reporting nationally as they get. I have no idea what their mindset is this offseason.

They want to cut payroll.  Gray doesn't make a ton so it's a good thing they have a bunch of bad contracts the Sox can take on to make a deal work.  Charlie Blackmon, Wade Davis, Ian Desmond, Bryan Shaw, Jake McGee, Daniel Murphy are all guys the Rockies would like to move.  A couple of those guys could actually be good fits for the Sox.  

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Sound like it has to be Madrigal and/or Dunning. 

I imagine Dunning/Basabe/Stiever should net something halfway decent.

I think it's Cease or Lopez. If we are getting a good starting pitcher, we probably have to give up a major league ready starting pitcher prospect in return.

Would Cease, Collins, Walker, Flores come close to landing Snell?

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They want to cut payroll.  Gray doesn't make a ton so it's a good thing they have a bunch of bad contracts the Sox can take on to make a deal work.  Charlie Blackmon, Wade Davis, Ian Desmond, Bryan Shaw, Jake McGee, Daniel Murphy are all guys the Rockies would like to move.  A couple of those guys could actually be good fits for the Sox.  

Good call. Bridich is one GM I wouldn't mind Hahn dealing with.

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Yeah Blackmon probably the best, murphy could swing as a DH (though hopefully not). Desmond...man he is bad.

If we acquired davis I'd really want tthat to lessen the prospects as he is so bad its essentially giving them money. Honestly lets just give them money at this point.

18 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think it's Cease or Lopez. If we are getting a good starting pitcher, we probably have to give up a major league ready starting pitcher prospect in return.

Would Cease, Collins, Walker, Flores come close to landing Snell?

If the Rays value Cease highly, maybe. 

13 hours ago, GreenSox said:

17.5 WAR for Danks; 16 WAR for McCarthy. In the  first few years of their trade, Danks was better, and McCarthy was hurt so I guess it was good.

It wasn’t even remotely close. That trade was a massive win for the White Sox. McCarthy’s success came later. 

The Rangers got 2.2 fWAR out of McCarthy in that trade. The White Sox got 15.4 fWAR out of Danks before they extended him. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MyNamesRod said:

Not sure if it’s been posted here, but raBBit tweeted that its not Vaughn 

Can you post?  Just looked for it, and couldn't find.  Saw a response saying Robert isn't going anywhere, but nothing on Vaughn. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It's self defeating to deal Cease. 

I'm good dealing Lopez plus that package I noted earlier since there will be a numbers problem in the rotation with him anyway.

It's only self-defeating if Cease turns out good but he's a very risky prospect.

Just now, bmags said:

It's only self-defeating if Cease turns out good but he's a very risky prospect.

I get what he was saying: trading a starting pitcher for a more expensive starting pitcher leaves us with improved starting pitching but still a need of 2 starting pitchers, with less money available to make it happen. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I get what he was saying: trading a starting pitcher for a more expensive starting pitcher leaves us with improved starting pitching but still a need of 2 starting pitchers, with less money available to make it happen. 

Exactly.  Trading Cease makes pretty much no sense.  

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Right but there is a chance that this was always necessary. I don't necessarily trust sox valuations, but what if they already weren't confident Cease would be a starting pitcher? They'd also have a need to upgrade him, so they were always in that boat.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Right but there is a chance that this was always necessary. I don't necessarily trust sox valuations, but what if they already weren't confident Cease would be a starting pitcher? They'd also have a need to upgrade him, so they were always in that boat.

Whose player evaluation would you trust more, the White Sox or the Rays? I'll hang up and listen.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly.  Trading Cease makes pretty much no sense.  

Only way trading Cease makes any sense is if your internal evaluation is lower than what the market values him at. 

I like Cease, and he has certainly had his market detractors.... so far, he's proven every doubt about him wrong, which is a kid I like to hang onto, but if the Sox view him as a back-end guy or a high-leverage reliever down the road then moving him for a Snell or something would make sense but again, I think Cease is one of those guys that has overcome a lot of doubt to get here... and I don't think he's going to stop now.

His size has always been a concern and always will be a concern. It is what it is; that was a concern when you traded for him.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah Blackmon probably the best, murphy could swing as a DH (though hopefully not). Desmond...man he is bad.

If we acquired davis I'd really want tthat to lessen the prospects as he is so bad its essentially giving them money. Honestly lets just give them money at this point.

Davis was really bad last year but closing games in Colorado is the hardest job in baseball. If it means getting Gray I'd take a chance on Davis at least being servicable outside that pitching hell hole. 

I get why everyone is talking Snell but I really don't think it's him. Even with the injury, 5 cheap years of a Cy Young winner? No way that gets done with Cease as the headliner. It would have to be Robert. 

That's why I'm thinking more Syndergaard, Price, Gray, and so on. Snell has too much cheap control

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I get why everyone is talking Snell but I really don't think it's him. Even with the injury, 5 cheap years of a Cy Young winner? No way that gets done with Cease as the headliner. It would have to be Robert. 

That's why I'm thinking more Syndergaard, Price, Gray, and so on. Snell has too much cheap control

Not Price, as he’s not coveted. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Whose player evaluation would you trust more, the White Sox or the Rays? I'll hang up and listen.

I do think the sox floating players to the rays and seeing which ones they like in order to improve their own valuations is a decent idea.

But the problem is I also trust the rays to proactively make the player better, so they may have plans for cease the sox don't have.

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

He has 4 years $48.5M left.  So while that is cheap for a player with his talent, its not like like he's making nothing.

20: $7.6M; 21: $11.1; 22: $13.1; 23: $16.6M

Up to $1M in escalators per year.