Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M

Bad Hombre

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I honestly have no idea why people think the league sentiment is that Castellanos is better than Ozuna.

Ozuna has been twice as valuable thus far in his career, and while hes 2 years older which evens it out, by no means is Castellanos easily better. Ozuna actually probably had more of an NL market too because he can defend.

Castellanos will be lucky to draw 2/40 after how the league just valued ozuna.

Older, draft pick attached, and Castellanos’ hot streak with the Cubs in the second half could sway some teams thoughts.  If Castellanos gets only 2/$40, I I’ll definitely be upset the Sox didn’t sign him.  No long term risk on that type of contract.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Ozuna had a 2nd round compensatory pick attached to him.  Castellanos doesn’t.  So Castellanos will likely get more years, but his price definitely appears like it will be far less than what was originally thought going into the offseason.

Puig will be lucky to get more money from an MLB team than he could get playing in Japan.

You would think Ozuna would have gotten more years with the pick attached to him.

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

You would think Ozuna would have gotten more years with the pick attached to him.

Indeed.  Surprised the Braves would be the team willing to lose a pick for one year of Ozuna’s services.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Baffling offseason by Braves. 3 years to Will Smith, 1 year and giving up pick for Ozuna, and the pitching they grab is Hamels and King Felix? Castellanos must have let the league know he's waiting on a Chicago team. Waiting on Bryant move, pivots South of that doesn't happen.

The Sox are in a great spot right now. They don't absolutely need Castellanos. The market isn't what he thought it would be. And he doesn't want to wait for spring training to sign. Now -- major discount. Very good chance to a 1 year deal.  No draft pick attached.  And if the Sox don't get him  I'm ok with that too-- they have NM. I'm not loosing any sleep over this. Again, very good position our Whitesox are in.

Edited by smellysox
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, smellysox said:

The Sox are in a great spot right now. They don't absolutely need Castellanos. The market isn't what he thought it would be. And he doesn't want to wait for spring training to sign. Now -- major discount. Very good chance to a 1 year deal.  No draft pick attached.  And if the Sox don't get him  I'm ok with that too-- they have NM. I'm not loosing any sleep over this. Again, very good position our Whitesox are in.

He won't sign a one year deal because a draft pick will be attached next year. He will only take a one year deal of he has no choice. In this case, I'd love to offer him a nice 2 year deal. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Older, draft pick attached, and Castellanos’ hot streak with the Cubs in the second half could sway some teams thoughts.  If Castellanos gets only 2/$40, I I’ll definitely be upset the Sox didn’t sign him.  No long term risk on that type of contract.

Meh, just such a desperate move. Honestly, I wouldn’t complain. But we could still really use a legit stud bat and signing Castellanos removes all doubt. His defensive shortcomings are too much to ignore. Still just hate the fit. 1/$20M and it’s hard to argue as you’re basically just choosing NC over Mazara. 2/$40M you’re committing to two terrible OF for 2 years and you’re robbing yourself of any ability to play in the RF FA market next winter. I get why some Sox fans love the idea, but it’s just such a classic white Sox move and this offseason starts to look just way too much like the same old bs. Obviously he young studs we have are what makes it different, but just show some patience. 

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yes, I'd do 3 years, not 54mm, I'd do 3 years and maybe 48mm. 

I'd only do this if they really have no honest intention of going after Springer or Betts. If you even have a 10% chance or want to sign them, then just pass. 

Easy question, easy answer.  The Sox signing Castellanos for 3/$54 is a lot more likely than signing Betts or even Springer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I honestly have no idea why people think the league sentiment is that Castellanos is better than Ozuna.

Ozuna has been twice as valuable thus far in his career, and while hes 2 years older which evens it out, by no means is Castellanos easily better. Ozuna actually probably had more of an NL market too because he can defend.

Castellanos will be lucky to draw 2/40 after how the league just valued ozuna.

Yup, that 2/38 upthread sounds perfect and if you need to go 2/42 that's also a no brainer.  Worst case you have too many good players in 2021, oh well.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Meh, just such a desperate move. Honestly, I wouldn’t complain. But we could still really use a legit stud bat and signing Castellanos removes all doubt. His defensive shortcomings are too much to ignore. Still just hate the fit. 1/$20M and it’s hard to argue as you’re basically just choosing NC over Mazara. 2/$40M you’re committing to two terrible OF for 2 years and you’re robbing yourself of any ability to play in the RF FA market next winter. I get why some Sox fans love the idea, but it’s just such a classic white Sox move and this offseason starts to look just way too much like the same old bs. Obviously he young studs we have are what makes it different, but just show some patience. 

I'll just agree with everything you say on the subject all the time.

Without Castellanos I can still dream about Betts. With him I can't.

Can we play out 2020 and see how often Robert gets injured, first?

It’s probably going to end up that solidifying the defense and at least protecting Robert’s LH side will be worth giving up some offensive production.  

Logically, Pederson once again becomes the most realistic move for next year, deoending on what happens with Mazara (and our OF prospects.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Easy question, easy answer.  The Sox signing Castellanos for 3/$54 is a lot more likely than signing Betts or even Springer.

Easy answer if you don't think the Sox want to win a World Series. Keep the payroll in check this year. See what Mazara does. See how Kopech, Cease, Lopez  Rodon and Dunning and minor league OF's do. Get Robert's and Madrigals feet wet.

See how you end the season and then it becomes a lot more clear if Betts or Springer are a reality.

A good hitting and fielding RF'er will be major step towards a World Series team.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Easy answer if you don't think the Sox want to win a World Series. Keep the payroll in check this year. See what Mazara does. See how Kopech, Cease, Lopez  Rodon and Dunning and minor league OF's do. Get Robert's and Madrigals feet wet.

See how you end the season and then it becomes a lot more clear if Betts or Springer are a reality.

A good hitting and fielding RF'er will be major step towards a World Series team.

Jerry Reinsdorf is not going to shell out $350 mil for Betts. Why do you guys keep torturing yourselves with this impossible fantasy?

• Thanks 3

I wouldn’t be against a Castellanos move if it was a one year deal, but the reality is Mazara was slightly better (110 wRC+) against RHP than Castellanos was (106 wRC+) last year.  No doubt Nick destroys LHP while Nomar is unplayable against them, but is that worth $18M when you already have several guys who are elite against LHP like Abreu & Encarnacion and provide no defensive utility?  Honestly, I’d rather find a cheap platoon partner for Mazara (Pillar, Pence, Zobrist, etc) and same my financial ammo for a run at Betts (unlikely), Springer (more likely), or Joc (very possible) next offseason.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I wouldn’t be against a Castellanos move if it was a one year deal, but the reality is Mazara was slightly better (110 wRC+) against RHP than Castellanos was (106 wRC+) last year.  No doubt Nick destroys LHP while Nomar is unplayable against them, but is that worth $18M when you already have several guys who are elite against LHP like Abreu & Encarnacion and provide no defensive utility?  Honestly, I’d rather find a cheap platoon partner for Mazara (Pillar, Pence, Zobrist, etc) and same my financial ammo for a run at Betts (unlikely), Springer (more likely), or Joc (very possible) next offseason.

I agree. Moreover, he isn't going to sign a one year deal, to be platooned. He wouldn't have much of an opportunity to improve his stock, batting exclusively against left handed pitching.

• Like 1