7/25 GT - Twins at Sox - 1:10pm

Not crazy about lineup or the order but trying to be fair.  During the game,  they announced Hill was out.  If that was the case, give credit to Twins for F'ing with our lineup as maybe Ricky was expecting the lefty to go today.

22 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Meh.

I seem to recall Mendick had a shitty defensive game the other day as well. He's not exactly a gold glover, either. Like Leury, he's probably either a barely-cromulent utility player, or a AAAA type.

I'm ambivalent about the 2B role at the moment.

Once this roster is purged of most of these types (Mendick, Delmonico, Engel, Leury  possibly Mazara), we should be in position to compete.

Mendick was at SS that game though. I doubt hes a great fielder but I'm sure hes better than Leury.

And defense aside, hes probably got a better bat than Delmonico at this point anyways. 

9 minutes ago, tray said:

RR did not want to hurt Grandal's feelings by not starting him on Opening Day.  He could have just switched catchers,  Too easy.  Or, he could have switched pitchers and have Keuchel start the opener, but then Gio's feelings might be hurt.  Can't have that either. 

and, RR may not want to hurt Abreu's feelings  by taking him out of the clean-up spot.

This is it right here folks. Ricky felt he had to start Grandal yesterday because of the optics. 

2 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Not crazy about lineup or the order but trying to be fair.  During the game,  they announced Hill was out.  If that was the case, give credit to Twins for F'ing with our lineup as maybe Ricky was expecting the lefty to go today.

Grandal is a switch hitter though. 

19 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Mendick was at SS that game though. I doubt hes a great fielder but I'm sure hes better than Leury.

And defense aside, hes probably got a better bat than Delmonico at this point anyways. 

None of them are good options for extended exposures. They're all AAAA types or bench fodder. 

Rather than  falling  head over heels for these types, this team would be better without all of them polluting the lineup and in the field. And some games will continue to be lost by Leury's or Mendick's or Mazara's gloves, or by Engel's or Delmonico's bats.

The bigger issue (to me, anyway) are Renteria's lineups and bullpen use. IMO, putting Giolito and McCann into the best positions to succeed > choosing which AAAA type to deploy on a given day.

25 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Definitely more understandable if that’s the case.

46 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

That’s not a good enough excuse in my opinion. Ricky had to have known that Hill wasn’t pitching by this morning. He could’ve made another lineup with that in mind.

• Like 1

This is a shortened season and the idea of making lineups in advance should be thrown out the door.  You need to adjust your lineups based upon what is going on the field during the games.  Who, upon watching the game last night, would come to the conclusion that Nicky should be moved up in order?  Who, in their right mind, watching the game last night would start Leury again at 2B with a ground ball pitcher in Keuchel on the mound?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Delmonico hit the ball so weakly last night, it only makes sense that he moves UP in the order! And more Leury, cool...

I agree about Delmonico, but if they are hellbent on keeping Madrigal in the Schaumburg for a week, you really don't have any other better options than Leury unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I agree about Delmonico, but if they are hellbent on keeping Madrigal in the Schaumburg for a week, you really don't have any other better options than Leury unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm a big Madrigal fan, and it sucks we have to manipulate things, to get more control. And yes, everyone does it, doesn't make it suck any less. But hopefully, soon enough, we'll have Nick up, we just have to hope that we survive these games with a liability up the middle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Leury has always been fine in the infield. I don't why people are acting that he is always trash due to his performance in the first game.

Because everyone knows in a week that job is Madrigals and the only reason García is in there is to keep the service time in check 

Day game after a night game is probably the reason for Grandal sitting as he will catch tomorrow. If Leuri is awful defensively what do you call what Mendick did in the preseason games? Delmonico probably sucks but had a nice spring  and seemed to be hitting well when they came back so probably a better chance vs a righty than Engel.  

Also, if Giolito can't throw to Grandal the signing was the worst in team history. Lucas was just missing his spots yesterday.  It had nothing to do with the catcher  just be happy he was the 95 mph Giolito and not the 91 mph version we saw before last season. He had a bad night and will be fine. With this unusual season,  we are going to get a lot of that. Nothing will be normal. Just think 8f this happened last year and there were only 60 games, there is a decent chance Nelson Cruz is out of baseball.  I also the the Sox had a better record last season after 60 than the eventual WS champs  even though the importance of each game is tripled,  taking too much out of one is not wise.

1 hour ago, tray said:

McCann worked with Giolito like hand and glove last year.  So maybe stay with what worked.

The line-up is debatable . I would prefer Robert and Eloy up there. Why? The top three guys have speed on the bases and Eloy seems like a bigger threat  for pitchers than Abreu at this point. 

1. Tim Anderson

2. Yoan Moncada

3. Luis Robert

4. Eloy Jiminez

Every loss seems like 2 losses with this shortened schedule....especially against a division rival.

Today and Sunday are must wins.

It should be either 1. Robert 2. Moncada 3. Eloy  4. Abreu, or 1. Robert 2. Anderson 3 Moncada 4. Eloy

29 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Leury has always been fine in the infield. I don't why people are acting that he is always trash due to his performance in the first game.

He was before he basically became a full time OF.

18 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I thought this was funny given the small but vocal group here who thinks that Abreu holds a gun to Renteria's head and forces him to pencil him in at #3 and 1B every game

I don't get this tweet. First off he say not sourced so that means he didn't get the info from the Sox analytics department  but goes on to say the Sox analytics department LIKELY does not believe Renteria's lineups are optimal. Why doesn't he just say he thinks the lineup isn't optimal instead of phrasing it the way he did and throwing in (not sourced ) and (my opinion) ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

18 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I thought this was funny given the small but vocal group here who thinks that Abreu holds a gun to Renteria's head and forces him to pencil him in at #3 and 1B every game

Robert needs to be at the top. This yer Abreu does need to get moved down though. We have way to many stud hitters for him to keep batting 3rd.