Sox playoff chances sit at 100%, 3rd in AL for WS odds

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Seven AL teams with a 97.5% or higher chance of making the playoffs, plus Blue Jays with 65%. Are we really rooting for seeding? Empty parks and no re-seeding after the first round (that you can be gone after losing 2 of 3), the AL is playing meaningless games for the next month. Yes, we want our players to do well, stay healthy, and get wins. But there are no tough losses or big wins for AL teams in the next month. Once the playoffs start, nobody will care who won the divisions...and especially after the quick 2 of 3 first round.

The Yankees, Astros, and Twins fans wouldn't care much about winning the division if it leads to just an early playoff exit. But for teams like the As, the Rays, and our White Sox, winning the division would be huge.

I'm tired of watching Cleveland celebrate winning the division. I was already tired of watching the fucking Twins celebrate winning the division before they even took the crown last year. Every single team in the division has won the division crown more recently than us. I definitely care about us winning the division and you should too. 

3 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

The Yankees, Astros, and Twins fans wouldn't care much about winning the division if it leads to just an early playoff exit. But for teams like the As, the Rays, and our White Sox, winning the division would be huge.

I'm tired of watching Cleveland celebrate winning the division. I was already tired of watching the fucking Twins celebrate winning the division before they even took the crown last year. Every single team in the division has won the division crown more recently than us. I definitely care about us winning the division and you should too. 

If they had to play a one game play-in if they lost, then I’d definitely care if the Sox won the division. When it’s eight teams playing a best-of-three in empty parks, I really don’t care how it falls this season. They’ll be playing somebody around September 29-October 1, and they’ll need to win two games.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

If they had to play a one game play-in if they lost, then I’d definitely care if the Sox won the division. When it’s eight teams playing a best-of-three in empty parks, I really don’t care how it falls this season. They’ll be playing somebody around September 29-October 1, and they’ll need to win two games.

From a logistical standpoint you are right. But our guys winning the division would be huge for their confidence. Accomplishments are very important for young players. We need a winning attitude around here. Our FO is also more likely to spend more money if we do that this year. Sox fans should be thrilled with 8 team playoffs for this season. 

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

FanGraphs posted an article earlier saying that no team with a > 80% chance of making the playoffs on September 1st has ever missed the playoffs in the past decade. So we got that going for us.

Sox fans: "In a normal season, we're not close to September."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Thankfully it doesn't matter playoffs wise. Playing on neutral sites and all 8 teams can beat the others. 

I mean I'd rather get to be the home team 3 times than the away team all 3 times. That's what the rules will be for the first round. 

So it looks like they will play most of the playoffs in a bubble. All except the first round best of 3. The WS is going to be played in Arlington which makes sense since it is a dome. The bad news for most of us is if the Sox advance the AL playoffs will be in Southern California, which again, makes sense because of weather, but will probably mean late game times for those of us in the Midwest.

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So it looks like they will play most of the playoffs in a bubble. All except the first round best of 3. The WS is going to be played in Arlington which makes sense since it is a dome. The bad news for most of us is if the Sox advance the AL playoffs will be in Southern California, which again, makes sense because of weather, but will probably mean late game times for those of us in the Midwest.

Why would where they’re playing the games affect the start times?